• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Longer and longer lags in ripple delete/undo

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2017 Mac, that I have had for a year. It is very nippy at everything else but there is a major issue with the speed of Audition. When I first open it, it can do ripple deletes/undo instantly but the longer it is open/the more I do the longer and longer it gets. After a few mins it back up to taking 10 secs to ripple delete in all tracks, even a tiny section. As I edit podcast for a living this is costing me a lot of time. 

If I close and reopen the software it is ok again briefly before getting very slow again. I have redownloaded the app and no joy. It is crashing less than it was but it still occasionally likes to die with no warning. I am very frustrated. 

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same issue here... and also editing a podcast.

This should be a major issue to fix and I don't see any solutions apart from restarting the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very unlikely to be anything to do with the speed or otherwise of Audition, and far more likely to be to do with the way that directories and file space for temp files is set up. Can't really help any more with the original queiy because I don't use a Mac, and I'm not sure about whether the structure is the same. Also it depends very much on the way you've got the session set up, and there are several potential issues to look at here, like whether you are trying to take time out of pre-rendered tracks, etc. 

What it comes down to is that without a load more information, we can't possibly help with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, Steve.

In my case, I tried on 2 different computers both on Windows. The fastest one is a Ryzen 7 3700X with 64 GB of RAM. I usually work on a RAID 0 hard drive system (the best RAID for performance) and I just tried the project on an SSD. Same results. 

I do not have any effects on the audio yet, I'm just editing it. I haven't changed any of the by default "Media and Disk Cache" folders. They are in C:/ (my SSD).

Please, let me know if you need more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely an issue, and it's been reported since March. I'm struggling with this issue myself when editing podcasts, and it definitely seems like an Audition issue. There's no way it's due to slow I/O – if that is the case, then it sounds like this feature is coded incorrectly. In my case, I only have tracks (editing a podcast) with zero effects. Each ripple delete process takes 2-3 seconds on a $5,000 MacBook Pro. Ridiculous! Hopefully Adobe will take it seriously and do something about it. It's not hard to replicate. Just load up a few tracks, and do 40-50 ripple deletes. It'll start slowing down at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Retrovertigo Is this the issue you are seeing? (https://streamable.com/zfifjz)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly. For me, sometimes it can take up to 10 seconds to process. Very frustrating.

The only way to "fix" it momentarily is to close and reopen Audition. Also, working with an SSD will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to make the issue go away by merging all the separate clips in a track. Not exactly a "fix", but I was able to do instant ripple deletes afterward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you solved the problem? I am having the same issue. It makes editing is no fun at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I can't merge my clips yet because I'm still adjusting volume on my tracks. Is there a solution beyond merging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also really stuggling with this, exact same problem. Has anyone found a solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Salllysm, I'm not sure if this helps, but I found that my ripple deletes were lagging when I was using files from Descript. Since then I only use descript at the end and it saved me from this problem. I think Descript translates the files into a form that might make the program take its time processing. This is just a guess but if there is a file in your multitrack that is of a different size or causing audition to create duplicates of that might be what's slowing down your ripple deletes. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for your help! I will try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines