• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NEED A TUTOR FOR AUDITION

Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One hour. Connect with my screen. Show me how to do dynamics.  Please.  I've watched the online tutorials and I CAN'T get the results they show. When I set the threshold, it is ignored.  But I've tried the expander-- which nobody talks about, and that works better. Glad to pay if you can teach? If you KNOW somebody who can?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

The one, very important thing you have to understand about compression and thresholds is that the threshold is measured as a value below 0dB, and that is where it will be applied. What this means in practice is that before you apply any compression at all (and this goes for all compressors and dynamic range effects) you have to normalize your signal so that the highest peaks in it hit 0dB. If you don't do this, and have a relatively low-level signal - let's say yours peaks at -15dB - then if you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't generally do things like this - I know from personal experience that it often doesn't work well at all, especially in a remote session where we can't hear what you can. On the other hand, if you can point us at the turorial, and indicate the point at which you are getting stuck, we might well be able to help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen_Shot_2021-03-08_at_4_05_06_PM.png

This is about dynamics.

I've asked this before, and no one has answered it, possibly because I'm not wording it correctly...

I record audio. It's a little too soft. I want to boost it. ALL of it but the audio that is under minus ten db

I want to increase the gain, but not to ALL the audio. Please see the attached screen/skitch shot.

It's becoming clear to me that compression is NOT the tool I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one, very important thing you have to understand about compression and thresholds is that the threshold is measured as a value below 0dB, and that is where it will be applied. What this means in practice is that before you apply any compression at all (and this goes for all compressors and dynamic range effects) you have to normalize your signal so that the highest peaks in it hit 0dB. If you don't do this, and have a relatively low-level signal - let's say yours peaks at -15dB - then if you set the threshold to -15dB, everything is going to be affected. Judging from your screen-grab, I'd say that this was very likely to be the step you're missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much. Today I learn to use normalize dammit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines