Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old-Styled Walkie Talkie like Sound Effect

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone.

First, I am new here, so I might need guidance.
I am a fan of a game called Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2, and I decided to mod it. Some of my units needs new voiceovers from voice actors, and some of them contributed to the mod.

My question is, how do I make a Walkie-Talkie effect that is almost perfect like the game does?
Here is examples of voiceovers with walkie-talkie effect that the Game use:
idesmod.wav

iconmob.wav

igisee.wav​

Here is an example of a voiceover for a unit in my mod with no filters (RAW), voiceover by https://www.georgeexley.com/

Invader - Select 1.mp3

I have tried methods, but I can't give even a similar fashion. Hoping more in this community to help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue for a play I was designing sound for a couple of months back.  I played with lots of clicks, recorded hiss and EQ to limit the frequency range.  I got it close, but...

In the end I miked up one walkie talkie in my home studio and had the voice actors stand in an adjacent room and transmit their lines from a second walkie talkie.  Sometimes simple works.

If for some reason you can't do it that way, you can download radio "hiss" from a number of different sound effect web sites.  Add this on top of the voices on which I used the telephone filter (under Effects/Filter and EQ/FFT Filter.  From memory I played slightly with the frequencies by ear.  A fraction of a second of extra loud static on each mic press can finish the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks good but 49 Euros is a lot of Aussie dollars!  Since this was the first time in memory I've needed a walkie talkie effect...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must admit that for a one-off, I would have either faked it up or used your method. Certainly here, you can purchase a real pair of walkie-talkies for less than the cost of that app! (And they'd probably be more useful - mine are...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.  I have four walkie talkies that I use during set up and to talk to my backstage A2 when doing a complex show.  I doubt I would have bought a pair just to create the effect but, as I had them in the cupboard...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I said 'less than', I hadn't looked for a while. The cheapest pair I can find now costs £1.49. No, that is not a mis-type. Downside is that the postage costs £2.49... go figure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines