• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Podcast- multiple mics, multiple tracks issue

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently set up audition to use my mixer (Behringer u-phoria umc404) to record 4 separate tracks simultaneously for a podcast. This works great but upon reviewing the tracks, the mics have created an echo with the voice of one person bleeding into another track.

My question is this: is there an easier way to mute those sections and get rid of the echo other than manually picking clips here and there and dropping the volume?

I have tried to look for answers but didn't find any for this particular issue. Also, my skill level with audition is novice so i may have easily overlooked something.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fear the main tricks come at the recording stage, not with a magic editing preset. 

The first trick is to put up soft materials around your room.  Expensive sound treatment would be great but simply hanging up things like duvets or movers blankets around the walls can help a lot.  (I know a number of people who use PVC piping and joints from the local DIY shop to build frames that can hold this stuff then be dismantled when not in use.)

When talking about soft furnishings, don't forget any table you happen to be sitting around.  A carpet off cut on the table can help a lot.

Second, know the pick up pattern on your mics and use this information.  Assuming you have typical cardioid mics, these pic up strongly for about 180 degrees in front of the mic but have far less pick up for the rear.  If you can arrange yourselves in a circle with your 4 people at the NSEW points, the microphone's natural pattern should help a lot, especially coupled with the soft padding mentioned earlier to reduce echoes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With only a couple of tracks you may get away with simple gating or downward expansion. Also sidechaining from one track to the other may be able to help. However by the time you have more than two tracks none of that is really possible, although some careful use of gating/expansion make be able to make a difference. Unfortunately it can also make it sound unnatural unless very carefully done.*

But as Bob explained it is better to reduce the 'crosstalk' at source. Also getting closer to the mics make help. If you see video of radio studio interviews you will see that they usually are within a couple of inches of the mics foam windshield.

*There are automixers out there which automatically do all this for you in real time. For instance the Behringer X-Air range of digital mixers have it built in and can act as your audio interface at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines