• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Radio commercial

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So im interested in giving it a shot creating a radio commercial for my studio on my own before i pay a station to do so. Ill be using a neumann U87 going to a UA-LA610 MKII preamp feeding into a presonus studiolive 24.4 mixer. Im curious on some tips for settings to use to create that radio sounding voice used in commercials. I know everyones voice is different...but just the basics would help. Im use to mixing hiphop and rnb and it doesnt seem like that would really fit.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Too big a question, really - there are simply loads of ways of doing this, and all sorts of production ideas that can make a huge difference to the outcome. Even if we describe the basic ideas here, we wouldn't be able to demonstrate them audibly, but there's an easy way you can learn the techniques, and you can hear the results - and that is to do a YouTube search using the term 'Radio commercial using Adobe Audition Mike Russell' and look at his videos. This is good, because he covers a lot of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too big a question, really - there are simply loads of ways of doing this, and all sorts of production ideas that can make a huge difference to the outcome. Even if we describe the basic ideas here, we wouldn't be able to demonstrate them audibly, but there's an easy way you can learn the techniques, and you can hear the results - and that is to do a YouTube search using the term 'Radio commercial using Adobe Audition Mike Russell' and look at his videos. This is good, because he covers a lot of the basics very well.

The one thing he doesn't really mention though is that he has a built-in advantage - he has an excellent voice for radio in the first place, and that makes more difference than anything else, I'm afraid. If you really don't end up fancying your own voice very much, then one way to keep the costs down is just to hire a 'voice', but make the rest of the commercial yourself; and Mr Russell will show you how to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Besides using EQ's, most people are using the compression and limiter/leveling software plug-ins.

If you have acces to Adobe Audition, I can recommend the Tube-Modeled Compressor in combination with the Hard Limiter plugin. Both are in the Effects section. For these plug-ins (but also in general with others) it's wise to use it just 3 or 4 dB, and not over the top.

Also, it's smart to keep the mid frequencies. Some producers are lowering them down (for a radio voice effect), but that costs loudness. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Dave Leusink | VoiceCowboys Radio Commercials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to absolute basics, a major thing that can make a difference is the acoustics in your studio.  For voice over work your want the room to be as dead as possible.  Not commercials but I've recorded many a TV reporter in a hotel bedroom with a duvet over his head.  Obviously there are better ways to achieve the sort of acoustic you need.

Once you have your recording, I've been finding some of the presets in Audition's Single Band and Tube Modelled compressors are good starting points.  Don't be afraid to experiment with the basic presets though to get exactly what suits you.

Finally, if you want the classic super-deep voice, I've worked with a number of artists who insist on using a shotgun mic (like a Sennheiwer 416 working close up to maximise the proximity effect to "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..."

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CONFUSED TOO

SPIKESTEVENS RADIO AIRPERSONALITY AND ADR FOR TALKING FUNNY FOR MONEY DOT COM

REASK QUESTION

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines