• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recorded voices distorted

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve I ran across some of your messages regarding echo issues in recorded audio. Steve please please can you help me I've tried EVERYTHING and I just can't get this right. I have a audio recording from a S7 and the background noise is so overwhelming that it has drowned out the voices. But whenever I Denoise the audio as well as the speech all background seems to disappear but the voices than become so echoey. I can only make out bits and pieces UGH 😩 Please can someone help me fix the echo and distortion on this recording 

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry - but this is unfixable. It's distorted, and it's never going to be possible to fix distortion - and what sounds there are are at the same level as the noise, and in the same frequency band, so there's no chance of isolating them. The stuff you see on CSI isn't real; you cannot extract sense out of an almighty distorted noise, whatever you do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve can you possibly tell me why this happened cause I unfortunately have multiple recordings im needed to filter through and in some of them there are parts of the recording where the voices are crystal clear but than there are parts where it sounds so echoey and muffled. Does this happen when what's being recorded is to far away or to close?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that we are talking about S7 phones? If so, all bets are off...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recording In my first post yes was from a s7 phone however  I have this one that was recorded using a iPhone 11 but seems like it's having the same issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing about all phone recordings is that they are entirely dependent on a whole lot of factors that you have absolutely no control over whatsoever. It only takes one of the phones to be on the edge of a cell for all sorts of distortions to occur when it switches to the next one  - and also you have no idea what sort of phone the other party is using, or how close they are to it, whether they are using an external mic, a headset, whatever - no idea at all. It doesn't matter how good any individual phone is - they are all subject to the laws of phone signal distribution, and that has an automatic system of downgrading signals when they encounter the other major obstacle to a good recording - people and vehicles moving. On top of that, the number of instantaneous iusers in a single cell at any given time also alters the quality. A call can be fine one moment, and the next it's disappeared completely.

And, I'm afraid, absolutely none of this can be fixed. Well, not by using the phone anyway. If you are doing remote interviews with people, then the best method of getting a good result that I know of is to get them to record their side of the conversation on a better mic and recorder at the same time they're talking to you - and send you the file. This way, with a bit of editing, you can make it sound as though they're in the room with you. I've done this from one side of the globe to the other - it works a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there's no way possible to tweek this even enough to understand what one person is saying? I don't know what happened really the person in the recording was doing the recording lol and that's why I'm not quite sure why it became so distorted. 
steve if I can also ask you on of my recordings because the original recording was literally just the loud tools and fans running I denoised it and it took pretty much all of that noise out but left me voices but the voices sounded as they do in the recordings I've attached. How far of a distance would a cell phone pick up and why when denosing did all of a sudden. Voices appeared in the recording 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also what makes a recording do this? Is it because the recording device is to far away? Or to close 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I record interviews and house concerts over the internet for later radio broadcast using Cleanfeed.
Sometimes a phone is the only equipment the remote musicians have access to. Cleanfeed does a good job of dealing with the issues you've encountered, and may be something worth considering for future recordings.
There's a free account to get started. I have no relationship with Cleanfeed other than as a very satisfied customer.
Cleanfeed is here:

Cheers,
Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's only for recording? Or editing as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cleanfeed is just for recording. Its sole purpose is to get the cleanest, most usable wav file/s to work with. I record the concerts and interviews with Cleanfeed, then use Audition for editing the results for broadcast. The finished product is good enough for the BBC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines