• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stops Recording

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition CC 2017 randomly quits recording an audio file.  Usually after about 20 minutes.

I have Windows 10, Screen and Sleep are both turned off in forever mode.

Any ideas as to what is causing this?  No other application, including browser is running.

This started happening towards the middle of May.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

cliffw93434226  wrote

I kept seeing the windows is interupping audition audio settings, found on YouTube a tutorial on pro tools how to uninstall all of window audio drivers in the sound menu. Select speaker and everything enabled and right click and disable, even in recording tap, once you do that your AISO4all will take over everything and windows audio will now have no control

I'm afraid that's absolutely not true. ASIO4ALL provides a link between ASIO-based software engines - like Audition's -

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me a lot lately too! Exactly how you describe it. The sound meter still jumps around as if it is still recording, but you can't tell that it has actually stopped until you hit the stop button and see that something is cut off. My computer is outside my vocal booth, so it's INSANELY frustrating to finish a session and climb out of the booth only to find that *surprise!* it stopped recording somewhere along the way. Yesterday it did it twice while recording the same script, and I was ready to throw the computer across the room. So frustrating. At first I thought it was only happening if Chrome was also open, but that doesn't seem to be the case, because nothing else was open yesterday. Sigh. I hope there is a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More clues while searching for a solution...I reinstalled my iMac to the factory settings, and upgraded it to High Sierra as well. Then I installed only a few programs that I need to use for work, to help check and see if this issue was caused by something I had installed. This time, I installed only Adobe CC, Google Chrome, Dropbox, and a Canon printer driver....

...recorded that evening, and it still did the stupid "stop recording somewhere randomly" thing, multiple times. I thought I was in the clear after an earlier session with no issues, but then I lost probably a chunk of 30 minutes of recording narrations. Grr.

Sooo, it looks like the culprit is either one of those programs, or the internet signal itself. Next time I record I'll try turning off the wifi and seeing if it's affected by that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried turning off the wifi on my end and it didn't help. Still did the same thing. I even went as far as disabling the network card etc and it still happened.

Note: I only installed the basic stuff on my as well, Firefox, Google, Office, Drivers etc. Just the basic no other programs were installed as well and it still did the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened today in my church we were recording then it just stopped after 24 minutes it looked like it was still recording but it was not luckily we caught it almost instantly and switched to trusty audacity. What I did notice was that days before whenever i had the program open but I was not recording it said the recording source had changed. Even though i only had one recording or input wire in the computer.  Obviously this is a windows 10 problem and by the way I would like to say Steve is not handling this situation well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out at least for my windows 10 we use it for church service. And its connected to a hdmi system so whenever you switch the HDMI channel from the computer to let's say the camera it freezes the recording on Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/mountain+of+prai21520065  wrote

I figured it out at least for my windows 10 we use it for church service. And its connected to a hdmi system so whenever you switch the HDMI channel from the computer to let's say the camera it freezes the recording on Audition.

Once again, this is Microsoft at 'work'... HDMI contains sound streaming capabilities, and if you plug in an HDMI device, it will automatically be detected, and this results in a message flag from the system that says 'the list of audio devices has changed - blah blah' which automatically interrupts everything audio. And yes, that includes recording.

As we've said earlier, the solution is not to try to rely on internal hardware which can be hijacked by the operating system. This route only leads to problems. If this is mission-critical, and you are relying on the system to work correctly, then you need to use an external audio device with an ASIO driver. This will bypass most of the operating system, and that means that it isn't subject to all these ridiculous messages and inevitable interruptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, not sure if you get notified, but see my previous comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frankdavalos  wrote

Hi Steve, not sure if you get notified, but see my previous comment!

Please read ryclark's comment at the top of this page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem and submitted several logs but no help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept seeing the windows is interupping audition audio settings, found on YouTube a tutorial on pro tools how to uninstall all of window audio drivers in the sound menu. Select speaker and everything enabled and right click and disable, even in recording tap, once you do that your AISO4all will take over everything and windows audio will now have no control

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cliffw93434226  wrote

Or, perhaps easier, though not as cheap?  Simply use a (professional) external audio interface, as previously suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an external audio interface but adobe requires an updated sound card

which I have, it would not operate efficiency on windows but needed aiso4all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cliffw93434226  wrote

I have an external audio interface but adobe requires an updated sound card

which I have, it would not operate efficiency on windows but needed aiso4all

What is the make and model of your "external audio interface"?  I can think of no circumstances in which "adobe requires an updated sound card" if one really does have a professional external audio interface.  The precise modus operandi of such an interface means that any "sound card" (using the term in its usual sense) is,effectively, rendered redundant.

Or am I misunderstanding what you mean when you mention your "sound card".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cliffw93434226  wrote

... it would not operate efficiency on windows but needed aiso4all

But ASIO4ALL uses Windows...

Do you mean that your sound device needs an ASIO driver to work properly? That's not the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That all sounds good to me, but the problem is I've seen this post for

serveral people and no clear explanation and solution has been offered and

I keep seeing that no one has experienced the problem and I even submitted

logs but no resoultion. all i know is when I disable the windows audio and

an "x" is on the speaker icon, Audition records like a charm and keeps on

going. here's the youtube for those who may need some help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DCrj7jAuF8

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:15 PM SteveG(AudioMasters) <

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cliffw93434226  wrote

That all sounds good to me, but the problem is I've seen this post for

serveral people and no clear explanation and solution has been offered and

I keep seeing that no one has experienced the problem and I even submitted

logs but no resoultion. all i know is when I disable the windows audio and

an "x" is on the speaker icon, Audition records like a charm and keeps on

going.

That's the whole point - it's all to do with active socket sensing, and that's integrated into the operating system. It's not easy to turn off without potentially destablising what Microsoft have done. The solution to this can only come from Microsoft - not Adobe. Try taking it up with them. Good luck with that - you'll need every bit of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cliffw93434226  wrote

I'm afraid that's absolutely not true. ASIO4ALL provides a link between ASIO-based software engines - like Audition's - and Windows drivers. It does not bypass anything in the OS at all. It can't; if it did, it simply wouldn't work. When you use ASIO4ALL you are not only using ASIO4ALL, but every layer of the OS sound control as well, and that's where the problems usually arise.

The only way to bypass most of the OS as far as Windows and sound is concerned is to use a sound device with its own ASIO driver, provided by the manufacturer. This is indeed the recommended way to run Audition, and I can tell you from my own experience that failures to continue recording never occur if you use a system like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, just to throw some wood on the fire;

We use Audition CS6 on Win 10 PC's in two broadcast studio setups with miniDSP UDIO-8 usb2 interfaces connecting aes in and out to Sonifex S2 desks and trying to record. Systems are set to 44100/16bit. It doesn't matter where we try to record to, network storage, external usb, internal SSD or internal 7200 HD Audition randomly stops recording.  Yes we have enough storage space, yes enough ram and no, we are not running any unnecessary other programs.  CPU & network useage are minimal.  Windows sound is disabled, usb power options are set not to sleep, the pc is set not to sleep or hibernate and is on 24/7, together with the UDIO-8.  And there are multiple users on the domain. It's not even every time someone tries to record, one person might get a complete 2 hour session, the next person to log in might have audition stop on them.

Recording stops in Multitrack mode, in Waveform mode when record is just pressed and Waveform mode when a named recording is set up first.

We disabled the Use Adobe Graphics Manager in Appearance, disabled Release ASIO driver in the background, enabled Machine Specific settings to use a custom file to stop Windows Updates resetting things and to ensure the ASIO drivers are used, disabled both DLMS support and Use OpenGL as we never use video.  Primary temp is set to a dedicated SSD scratch drive and secondary temp set to an internal 7200 HD.  We don't know where to find log files, there is no option for this in the help menu.

We get the 'list of audio devices' message from time to time but mostly audition just stops.  As others have said, all the indicators are showing the inputs connected and bargraphs showing signal but without warning audition just flatlines.

So the external sound card does not appear to be the solution and we would be so happy to find an answer to this problem because at the moment the only recordings we can do reliably are using an old pc with an internal sound card recording the analogue stereo station output to 128kbit mp3 in hour long files.  These run 24/7 and NEVER fail.

I would love to enter into dialogue with anyone who can shed some light on this.

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Mac, and Audition 2019 is stopping before my recordings are complete.

I am new to the site, wondering if this problem has been solved, or if there is a work-around?

Advance thanks for any help you can provide.

Bear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto to literally everything above AND I use an external soundcard as it is because the stock cards from Dell suuuuuuck. It does not solve the problem. I've been using a Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL on a roided-out tower with every optimization setting imaginable in place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Christopher!

I may have fixed my issue today, we'll see after the umpteenth test I run if it was successful. The problem seems to only present itself when I have clients in-studio and not when I'm running tests alone.

It seemed to simple to be true BUT changing the sample rates on literally everything to 48k (or whatever your interface settings are) in the sound control panel seems to be working. I'm guessing you've probably already done this but after going through every optimization setting I could find, this is the last thing I can do before looking into a new DAW or purchasing a new interface to see if that's the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines