• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to record "What U Hear" in Audition 3.0.1 on Windows 7 x64...

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to record sound that is playing on my system using Audition 3.0.1 on Windows 7 x64.  I have Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card with latest driver 2.18.0011.  In Audition, I have set audio hardware setup to "Audition 3.0 Windows Sound" and default input to "What U Hear"--which is proper setup to record sound playing on my system.  But when I click the record button, I get an error message titled "Adobe Default Windows Sound Driver" error code FF9-5-0044 [8878000a] "device could not be opened".  And then Audition only records silence.  I've tried using the Sound Recorder program that comes with Windows 7 x64 and that records fine.  But Audition won't record any sound.  Any ideas?  Can this be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2010 Mar 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, but the problem still exists.  Basically, I have the same problem ghost zero has.  There appears to be no active Stereo Mix in Windows7.  ghost zero said he has no Stereo Mix in his selection; I have a Stereo Mix option, but it is identified as a USB Multi Chanel Audio.  The green level indicators are never active on this option.  I checked update drivers in device manager and they are all current according to the microsoft "update driver" selection.  I don't know what sound card I have; it is an integral part of the laptop board.  The video card is identified, but I can't find any identification of the sound card or equivalent.  I have 6 devices identified under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers in device manager:  Conexant Pebble HD Smart Audio (appears to be controlling the lap top speakers); four NVIDA HD Audio at locations 0 to 3 (whatever that means); and the USB Multi Chanel Audio that I don't think exists and is never active based on the green level indicators.  I tried disabeling all the devices except the Conexant Pebble  to see if a new Stereo Mix would be forced into creation, but it was not.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF WINDOWS 7 HAS A STEREO MIX (LIKE VISTA HAS) that should give "what you hear" recording?  When I contacted Toshiba telephone suport, they just said I have to use the microphone to record with!!!  I sure hope they are wrong!!  They said "Everything is working OK now; is there anything else I can help you with?"  I gave up and said "no thanks"; they had no clue.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KenWF wrote:

There appears to be no active Stereo Mix in Windows7.  ghost zero said he has no Stereo Mix in his selection; I have a Stereo Mix option, but it is identified as a USB Multi Chanel Audio.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF WINDOWS 7 HAS A STEREO MIX (LIKE VISTA HAS) that should give "what you hear" recording?

I don't know. What I do know though is that manufacturers are quite capable of modifying the windows mixer control panel to either include or exclude anything they want, and that this has happened before. Ask Dell laptop users - on some models they got well and truly shafted when it came to monitoring, because Dell, in their infinite wisdom, decided that if you were using the microphone input, that you'd get feedback from the internal speakers if you were daft enough to turn the volume up. So they excluded it as an option, which annoyed a lot of people.

So ask yourself another question - why would Microsoft want to prevent you doing this? Well, they screwed the sound over on Vista (ask Wild Duck), almost certainly because of DRM, and this was supposedly based on being 'got at' by Hollywood, or was it the RIAA? Who knows what they've done this time? Nobody seems to...

It does seem a little strange though, that you can clearly hear stuff from remote sources on the internet (which effectively puts a 'what you hear' option in the playback section of the mixer), but if you go to the the record control preferences, there's really no option to record this there that hasn't been enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've submitted this problem twice to sound blaster support but never received any reply.  though im not sure if their driver has anything to do with this, since windows sound recoder works--just not audition 3.  i also submitted this problem twice to adobe and no reply.  i suspect it might be audition's fault because the program has not been updated to officially support windows 7.  as it stands, it seems we're currently stuck with this problem on windows 7.

perhaps an upcoming audition 3 patch or audition 4 will fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2010 Mar 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might well be correct about the Audition Windows Driver not coping with what Sound Recorder does now in W7. In the past (1.5) Audition used the internal sound recording capability of the OS to record, and this is obviously what Sound Recorder uses. But not any more, unfortunately. But it still seems a little strange that some sources should be seen and not others. The one thing that you might try, if this is the case, is ASIO4ALL (free). It's the same principle as the Audition Windows Driver, but has better diagnostics, and as far as I'm aware, has been upgraded for the new OS. And this is known to work fine with Audition. Might be interesting to see if it finds anything different to record from...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2010 Apr 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been fighting this problem for a month with a new Toshiba Qosmio laptop.  I have come to the conclusion it is a driver issue with the computer.  Toshiba can offer no solutions.  You can not see the "Stereo Mix" option that allows you to record "what you hear".  I don't know what the solution is other than buy a different computer; not an option - just bought this one.  If anyone finds a solution, please post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am told that I program I've used on and off for years, Total Recorder, supports Windows 7 64-bit now, and should provide the ability to record whatever passes through the machine.

At the moment I only have it on a machine with Audition 1.5 on XP, but there it works as a stand alone program and also provides a source in AA 1.5.

It is a paid-for program, but comes with a free trial and is not overly expensive. I don't want to advertise here, but a Google should find it.

It would be interseting if someone could confirm that it or one of the equivalents from other software suppliers does in fact work on a modern Win7 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Conexant don't supply any end user Win 7 drivers for their audio chips. Pity since a generic driver would probably work OK compared to the bastardized versions supplied by PC manufacturers. There seem to be problems everywhere with the Conexant Pebble HD Audio chipset and Win 7 drivers provided by Toshiba, Lenovo and HP amongst others.

"PC Audio Support - Windows® 7

Conexant develops audio solutions that are used in a wide range of products including personal computers. We provide customized audio drivers to our customers, which include major computer manufacturers globally. At the request of these manufacturers, Conexant does not provide end-user support or drivers for PC audio products. If you have an issue with the audio configuration in Windows 7, please contact the manufacturer of your computer. "

Is this any help?

http://www.smartestcomputing.us.com/index.php?showtopic=39405

Also a possible driver here:

http://www.drivercure.com/driver/driver_vendor.php?id=B772BEAF-3685-4122-956F-A274656C2002

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2010 Apr 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any idea if there will be a new audition with cs5?  will that fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition is not in the Creative Suite, so no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why should a new version of Audition cure problems caused by manufacturers poor driver support for Windows 7 x64 and Microsoft's changes in how audio works in their latest operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because windows 7 in the newest and coolest thing out there man, get with the times, it's all about the "hottest" technology out there.  Windows 7 is the greatest thing since grits and you can snap its windows together to view them both at once in a cramped space!

get with the times!  Audition needs to update the drivers man, hurry up!  Forget about if it's working fine on XP, having a program in good working order is not what's important, it's about having the newest state of art windows operating system, are you or aren't you a part of this consumer driven society?

just remember, you're either with us or against us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2010 Apr 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've had this same probem with Audition 3.0, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (with latest Windows 7 beta drivers) and Windows 7 x64, and it's been bothering me to no end. But I just figured out a solution! (Well, it worked for me at least, YMMV)

I followed the above instructions  from Ron Day/SteveG for "Audition 3.0 Sound", but I also had to go to What U Hear properties and UNCHECK "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". I also muted System Sounds in the Windows Mixer, for what it's worth. Audition fired right up and records from What U Hear now. Woohoo! Try it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will try ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot for the fix nazznomad!

i did more testing and it turns out that this problem can be prevented by either of 2 ways...

1) only selecting 1 input port in the "audition 3 > audio hardware setup > control panel".  [previously, i had both microphone and what u hear checked].

OR...

2) if you need to have more than 1 selected, then you will have to uncheck "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in what u hear properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2010 Apr 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With some lap top computers (mine does not have a dedicated sound card) and there is no clear driver set for just the built in sound card.  There is no option for "what you hear" or "stereo mix"; the options are not there to select.  This is the more difficult/complicated problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a USB SoundBlaster x-FI sound card. So far doesn't work for what-you-hear, Audition 3.01 and Win7 x64

jb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know somebody else who had the  problem with losing "What You Hear" or stream recording once he upgraded  to Win7 because his Sony laptop has Conexant drivers.  For him, the  easiest, effective workaround was to buy a USB sound card (which looks  like a USB flash drive) and then set Win 7 to use that and disable his  built-in sound card.

On amazon or newegg, there are el cheapo $4 USB  soundcards--I don't think I'd push my luck to that extent, but name  brand ones are available in the $20 range.  Anyone using in/out ports with their built-in sound card will want to get a USB sound card with the same ports. It might also be worthwhile to try to find one  that works with ASIO4ALL, but that isn't necessary to get stream  recording back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2010 Apr 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved my problem with recording using Audition 3.0!!  Maybe it was just me and my learning (or discovery) curve with Audition.  The program is brand new to me.  I fully agree with all our discussion over the last month about "Stereo Mix" and recording "what you hear".  We should be able to do it, I would think.  BUT I finally found a way that appears to be great.  (Maybe the rest of you know this, but I'll share it in case it helps anyone else).  Audition automatically extracts audio from videos and you can edit the audio. (I have been playing the video in Windows Media Player and recording the audio in Cool Edit on my old computer.)  For anyone who does not know, open the Audition Windows/Workspace/ Multitrack View.  Then go to File/Import and open up your .avi video file.  Once the file is open, you can go back to the Audition Windows/Workspace/Edit View and edit the soundtrack. You can keep the soundtrack as a separate file or leave it on the video if you want it there; then export your video file with cleaned up audio.  It is very easy and FAST!  I'm happy with this solution for my particular problem. Hope this helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the tip, but unfortunately im trying to record audio playing that is not from a video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also trying to record audio that's not from a video, but rather is coming from some other source and playing over the speakers/headset.

I seem to recall someone saying somewhere that they installed another audio program, and then they had the 'stereo mix' or at least another input show up. Even after they uninstalled that other program they still had the new input source, and it captured the speakers ie stereo mix.

Anyone know more about that?

JOhn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might have been "Virtual Audio Cable" available at http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html .

I haven't used it in a few years (and a few versions ago) but it used to work well.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

soundbooth cs5 almost out.  would be nice to see if that has the same problem or fixed for windows 7...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2010 Apr 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be a little further ahead with this, as I've just acquired a cheap, end of line, low-end Acer laptop that runs Vista, but is recent enough to have W7 drivers available from the Acer site. I put an old HD in and have loaded W7 64-bit from a Microsoft DVD, so it's running on the 30-day trial period. Audition 3 went in fine.

Initially, the on-board sound on the machine worked fine for playback using the drivers from the Microsoft installation, but the on-screen display of volume setting didn't work.  The W7 recording selector listed Line In, Mic In and digital in. So, no Stereo Mix and the digital input that didn't exist on the machine.

Then I loaded the Acer W7 64-bit drivers for the Realtek audio. The recording selection changed to Line In, Mic In and Stereo Mix, and the screen volume display appeared.

I've loaded up YouTube, installed the flashplayer software, fired up a video and recorded into Audition fine using the Stereo Mix into Audition Windows Sound.

I haven't had long to carry out extensive tests, but it looks as though the problem that people are having is not within Audition. 64-bit W7 and Audition seems to behave just like Audition and 32-bit Vista.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem isn't with Audition, nor Windows 7. This problem started to pop up with Windows Vista. The problem is over active copyright lawyers. The push to secure those copyrights has forced Microsoft to remove "Stereo mix" and "What You Hear" from their drivers. Depending on the audio card you are using, the manucature may, or may not have bowed to that pressure. The more profesional cards, for the most part, still have some sort of mixdown record that gives you what you are looking for... but only if your running your windows sound thorugh them. I've never had a problem getting it to work, but I'm using a M-Audio Delta 1010 and Digi002r. Creative is a big enough company that they may have bowed to pressure. Also if your computer is from a major vendor (like Dell or HP) the driver from that company will most likly be missing this feature too.

Seems the only choice is to either dig though the internet to find a driver that will work, or buy a pro(ish) audio card. You can get some for quite cheap (sub 100 usd).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question for Texas terry-syn or anyone else.  Do you have any specifics on what will work with a laptop computer.  I have a Toshiba Qosmio lap top, so any sound card would have to be a USB or the express card slot.  I am not familiar with any options in this area.  Will the sound from a video file playing in the computer go through the external sound cards so "what you see/stereo mix" will work?  It doesn't seem like it would.???   Has anyone actually done this, so they know from first hand experience that it will work?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines