• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Audition as a sound meter

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, normally I use Audition the way it was intended.. editing videos and music, but this is a little different.

Is there a way to setup Audition 2018 to act like a sound level meter (used to register volume) in an office or such.

Trying to prove new neighbor are excessively loud after hours.

Thanks for your assistance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically you can use it as part of a recording system that will accurately record what's sent to it - but that's not actually the issue. No arguments about any measurements stand up unless you've used a precision mic and preamp, and most importantly, calibrated the mic against a known sound pressure level standard. And you have to record that calibration, with its level indication, at the start of your file and alter no levels. The only way to calibrate the mic is to use a precision calibrator designed to go with the mic, and these aren't cheap. I have one, and a precision mic to go with my SPL meter, and the mic plus calibrator in the US would cost well in excess of $1500.

And even then, you're not out of the woods, as you have to make a series of measurements, and log absolutely everything about them - where they were made, what the temperature and weather conditions were if you're doing it outdoors (yes, really), what the time was, etc. On top of that, the chances are that the results will vary a lot, and this will be down to the fact that within a building, you get what's known as flanking transmission, where the construction of the building itself significantly alters the results. And even if you've done all that, the chances are that any other party involved would question your measurements anyway, as you were the complainant - so you're biased, aren't you? You simply can't prove that you haven't fiddled around with the recordings, so all bets are firmly off. There are a load more constraints on this too, but I imagine you're getting the idea...

Basically, you really can't do this yourself and stand any chance of getting anywhere at all. I don't know how it is where you are, but here in the UK it's the local civic authority's job to patrol this (you invite them) and prosecute offenders, and they have much more power in this line than we do. If I do this sort of environmental noise job (which fortunately I don't have to any more), then I have to do it nowhere near where I live!

Class 2 Sound Level Calibrator for Sound Level Meters and 1/2" Microphones and that's only a class 2 - really you need a class 1, and a class 1 mic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve will cringe at this suggestion, but...

There's a smart phone app called RTA (Real Time Analyser) that actually does a very credible job.  No, it wouldn't stand up in court but if the goal is to simply show somebody the loud noise, I can confirm that I've compared the results from this to what I get on my "proper" measurement mic and analyser and the results are worryingly good when the price is considered.  FYI, there's a free version but for a few dollars you can get one with upgraded performance and facilities.

FYI, I now trust it enough that I'll use it in live situations to walk around the auditorium to compare levels and frequency response in different areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bob+Howes  wrote

Steve will cringe at this suggestion, but...

Spot on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines