• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my mixer put out white noise?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to recording sound and do not know much about recording audio.  When I plug in my mixing board into the sound card of my computer, I get white noise in the input, and when Audition records audio recorded from the mixer it also records the white noise.  What causes the white noise and what can be done to not get the noise?  Also: when I tried to take the white noise out with noise reduction in audition, I get another weird noise that makes the recording sound very low quality.  What should I do to get a better digital quality recording? thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to know way more about your system than you've told us, I'm afraid - but one of the common mistakes people new to mixers make is to plug them into a mic socket! That would certainly account for all the noise. It needs to be plugged into a line input, and then something called 'gain staging' has to take place. This is the process whereby you set the output of the mixer so that it feeds your sound device at the correct level, and nothing is over (or under) recorded. Only then will you be able to use the mixer sensibly.

So, what sound device are you using, and what sort of mixer is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular mixer I'm using currently is a tiny portable one called a "maker hart 2 Just Mixer." It is however not connected to my computer via mic socket.  It is connected through a USB port.  How do we know that our mixer is fed at the correct level?

Also: Another mixer I have used from time to time is a bigger one and it also would pick up white noise and was connected also via USB and that was a behringer model (can't remember the exact model number right off hand).  Any more help on getting rid of white noise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One quick thing to check:

Go to Edit/Preferences/Audio Hardware and check you have the correct type of driver selected (you'll need to check the spec of your mixer(s)--cheaper ones may use MME which is the generic Windows driver while better ones my provide you with dedicated ASIO drivers.  Once you have the correct driver chosen, you'll be able to check that Audition is actually recording your mixer (drop down menus naming the hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  the right driver is chosen, but it still wants to record white noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What microphone are you using with it? The specs say that you need a 'sensitive mic'. How is the mixer connected to your computer? Does it make the same amount of noise when all the faders are fully down?

Microphone Setup

By Gain knob adjustment, input signal level is adjusted to input signal level
of microphone.(Recommend to use high-sensitive microphone)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines