• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is waveform asymmetric -- with different look on top than bottom?

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making narration files. When I look at my waveforms they are asymmetric: the waves look different on the top than the bottom. But the display is set up to look like it should be mirroring. Of course I don't even know what waveforms really mean. I don't know what the upper and lower parts represent. I've already saved it as Mono. 

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

This is quite normal. Happens a lot, especially with anything involving breath - like brass instruments and especially the human voice...

Basic explanation: What the waveform represents is the instantaneous vibrations of the air, as picked up by the microphone. By convention, positive pressure waves displace the diaphragm forwards, and this is represented by the waveform line moving upwwards. Because air is elastic, the pressure won't stay positive, and the waveform will revert back to the cen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite normal. Happens a lot, especially with anything involving breath - like brass instruments and especially the human voice...

Basic explanation: What the waveform represents is the instantaneous vibrations of the air, as picked up by the microphone. By convention, positive pressure waves displace the diaphragm forwards, and this is represented by the waveform line moving upwwards. Because air is elastic, the pressure won't stay positive, and the waveform will revert back to the centre line. But because your voice is essentially a vibration of your vocal cords and they are elastic too, the forward movement of them will immediately be followed by a rearward movement which is a negative pressure change, with the waveform line moving downwards, and then back to the centre. If you ping a ruler over the edge of a table, you'll see the effect.

But, you will be asking, why the asymmetry then? This happens because when you speak or sing, you are breathing out. Rather than this being a vibration, the breath is only going in one direction - forwards. And that's going to displace the microphone diaphragm in a positive direction - so the waveform goes slightly higher up on the screen. It shows because the amount of air you breath out is a lot greater than the vibration displacement caused by your breath, and the diaphragm displaces a lot further. This is why we need, and should use, windshields with mics - they are primarily intended to diffuse the air blasts, and can often reduce the amount of asymmetry in the process.

If you see larger peaks going downwards, your mic is simply wired with a polarity inversion (often incorrectly described as 'out of phase'), and this doesn't matter - you can invert it again in Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very cool! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: When I apply effects to a waveform why are the effects applied asymmetrically? I can see how voices and mics work that way but I'd think I'd want their modification to proceed proportionately ... but I notice the upper portion being transformed differently from the lower portion. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Such a useful question and brilliant answer.  I'm working with a chap who is new to radio, and he has a much deeper profile below the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines