• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition and Screen Reader Accessibility? [Does Audition work with NVDA, Jaws, Window Eyes, etc?]

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gree                                                  Sorry if this question isn't terribly legible, this application isn't working well with either of my Screen Readers.  I am writing to ask if Adobe Audition works with Screen Readers (NVDA, JAWS, Window Eyes, voiceover, etc).  --Thanks for any help!        

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
People's Champ ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused.  As far as I know, screen reader programmes take text files on your computer and translate them to spoken word.

Audition does not display text (well, other than its menus) and is an audio editing programme.

Perhaps you could give us a bit more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen readers can do a bit more than that, Bob! One of the important things they can do is to read tooltips.

In the past, Audition certainly supported tooltips - but certainly in the current release, this doesn't cover everything; there are many places where, when you hover the mouse, nothing appears. It may well be worth sending a request to the developers to look at this a bit more, as I think it could be improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed! They can do a lot more (for which I am grateful!). Screen Readers

read can read every button, control, pop-up, etc. . If a piece of software,

an application, and/or a web page is designed to be accessible to all

(which, luckily, many are), then blind people, like myself, who use Screen

Readers can do everything a sighted person can do with it, we just do it a

little differently. I will post some links below that can explain more for

anyone who's interested.

If anyone at Adobe or anyone on here has information on Audition's

accessibility, it would be really helpful to know--and thanks!!!

-The main screen reader I use is NVDA (it's free and open-source):

https://www.nvaccess.org/

-An overview from the American Foundation for the Blind:

http://www.afb.org/info/accessibility/creating--accessible-computer-applications/25

-Info on designing accessible software from the University of Washington:

http://www.washington.edu/doit/designing-software-accessible-individuals-disabilities

Regards,

Gretchen

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 4:16 AM, SteveG(AudioMasters) <

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a pity that Adobe Audition is not screen reader accessible as there are some other programs for audio editing (that I will not advertise here) that are screen reader accessible. As it was explained in earlier posts, if by design the components such as menus or buttons are done in a way that they are accessible (the icons have a text behind, the menu or button can be reached/activated via keyboard, the components are recognised by the accessibility API of the operating system) it should be accessible to screen readers and also to keyboard users. More info on the topic How does accessibility differ across operating systems?

Universal design provides accessibility to everybody. I would like to emphasise that The visual layout of the application doesn't have to change when it is screen reader accessible as often developers think that the application should be text-only and without Java to be screen reader accessible. This is a misconception and it was valid probably for screen readers that were used 30 years ago. Today the screen readers are very advanced tools. Moreover, I don't have to mention that many blind people are really good in listening and audio editing would be something that they can do if the software would allow this. I really hope that you will take accessibility onboard and give access to your application also to screen reader users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moving to the Ideas forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate