• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Decreasing volume of breaths in a podcast without completely removing them

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guest's audio track has really loud and unpleasant breathing in sounds, so I want to decrease the volume but not remove them completely, as my concern is that removing breaths completely, it would make the guest sound like a robot.

Here's a short sample: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rltnu8d6w9ken7/Podcast%203.mp3?dl=0

It's 90 minutes long recording, so I would prefer not doing this manually but rather using an effect that can do this for me for the whole recording (even if it's not perfect).

I can't find a solution on YouTube so hopefully, there is someone that can point me in the right direction here. Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Noise reduction

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct about not wanting to get rid of them completely, even though they are, indeed, pretty intrusive!

I tried this using Dynamics Processing set up as a gate, but since the breaths are nearly at the same level as the wanted speech, this simply isn't going to work. The most success I had was with the Sound Remover tool. I sampled one of the mid-range breaths (not the first one in your file - that was too loud) and with a bit of rearrangement of the adjustments available, I got a reasonable degree of reduction of the noise, although it's inevitable that some of it will remain, I'm afraid - those breaths aren't 100% identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve, will try that tomorrow!

I'm wondering what was the reason his breaths are so loud in the recording and what do you think I should do to avoid something like that in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just done with the test. Tried sound remover but couldn't get good results - maybe I dont Know how to use it. Had pretty good results with the Noise Reduction process 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines