• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Red Alert appeared: Maximum number of files. Delete some ... what & where?

Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving along very nicely, when the system started to bog down, then crashed twice, and finally, I just now received a Red Button Alert, telling me that Audition had reached the maximum number of files, and I need to delete some.  It is not saving my edits now. 

I have my main multi-track session files on a removable 2TB, pretty well organized in folders with all their referenced files enclosed.  All files are in the same folders with their sesx file.  I  then exported to WAV, and have been working through those files pretty successfully for a week now.  But obviously, the back-up and demands on the application have created this impasse.

I am delving into the User Guide, but can anybody send me in the right direction?

I have my files backing up to a removable 2TB drive, which currently has 94 GB free.  I have set a secondary back-up on Creative Cloud, and 12.63 GB in my Audition folder inside my system folder. of files in the Audition folder on my internal Hard Drive.

Maybe useful -- to me the stuff of nightmares -- screenshots from my Audition Preferences backup locations,  along with the Info on my main (UFI) hard drive, and the removable (UF-006) 2 TB drive.   

I just need to know what I can SAFELY delete to get back to work.   

Thanks for any help.

rob

Audition Prefs 10-22-001.pngAudition Prefs 10-22-002.pngAudition Prefs 10-22-003.pngAudition Hard Drive files  10-22-003.pngUF-006  10-22-002.pngAudition UFI HARD DRIVE 10-22.pngAudition UF-006 10-22-001.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Have you tried decreasing the number of backups it makes - yours is set to 1 minute, but the default is 3 - and increasing the number of backup files that can be created? You can increase that number to 10,000...

Also your auto-save value is rather low - the default for that is 10 minutes.

Assuming that you are saving work anyway, these backups are only precautions - there's no need to go overboard about them!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried decreasing the number of backups it makes - yours is set to 1 minute, but the default is 3 - and increasing the number of backup files that can be created? You can increase that number to 10,000...

Also your auto-save value is rather low - the default for that is 10 minutes.

Assuming that you are saving work anyway, these backups are only precautions - there's no need to go overboard about them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i have not messed with those settings, but will. I’m petrified about

losing files. If I knew that my current Wave files and the original .sesx

files with all recorded clips in folders are sufficient, I’d be thrilled to

dump all that superfluous material. Many gb are being used up if you can

see the illustrations I added.

Thanks Steve.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 3:13 PM SteveG(AudioMasters) <

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have copied those settings, and will see if the program likes them.... but I am also wondering if I can delete these enormous caches and back-ups, since I am now working really on just two groups of files -- the WAVE files, which are very nice, and -- if I have to back up further -- the original multitrack sessions, the bumped tracks, and all referenced/recorded files.  They open in seconds.

What can I delete?

Thanks.  You're my hero!

r

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do have to keep a sense of perspective about this!

In most cases, all you need is the original files, the session files and everything they created and/or referenced in one folder. And when you've created that, you back it up onto a different disk - ideally onto a different system.

Adobe is absolutely paranoid about people losing any data at all, and being able to blame it on them - that's why there is no multitrack drop-in system that automatically erases the previous take; it's far too risky! So they take exceptional steps to make sure that everything's backed up - almost to a ridiculous degree. Let's just look at session files - what needs to happen? Well, the only point in backing them up really is to save you having to redo a lot of work - has nothing to do with saving originals at all. So in the worst case, if you set the backup auto-save time to 3 or even 5 minutes, then that's all you're losing if you lose the current version - 3 or 5 minute's work. Let's face it - most of the time that really wouldn't be too much effort to recreate, so those settings are fine. But since it saves copies of all the files too, and anything additional you do to them (rendering, etc) then you really don't want to be doing this that often - that's what fills drives.

So what it comes down to in the end it that if you have a session folder, and it contains all of the material to enable the session to run, and you've backed that up, then pretty much everything else is redundant. My approach to this generally is to keep all originals and only work from copies, so in addition to the stuff in the session folder, there's raw original material too - completely untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah

Rob Wilson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm

Those settings got me through about five minutes, and the Alert re-appears.  It's not the number of files -- it's "Audition has reached the limit of audio data it can use. Please delete some files to continue."

Happy to.  But WHICH files?Audition - RED ALERT.png

r

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unauthorizedrob  wrote

Those settings got me through about five minutes, and the Alert re-appears.  It's not the number of files -- it's "Audition has reached the limit of audio data it can use. Please delete some files to continue."

This is a relative thing - Audition thinks that what's left proportionally on your large HD isn't enough to go on making huge backups. So make sure you've only saved and backed up what I outlined before, and ditch everything else!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Steve

Between you and a really dedicated support agent I reached in chat, I am back in the saddle.    I deleted about 16gb of garbage that had given me panic attacks before, limited my back-up to the original sessions and copies of these WAVE files, and have a smooth running system.   I want to share my evaluation of the online chat with Customer Support Agent "Hind,"  which included screen sharing and access to my computer.  Hind was incredible in his dedication.  My review:

"It is important in customer relations to understand that the problem is never merely technical but often entwined in a difficult personal situation -- users under extreme stress, very frustrated, behind in their work, struggling with personal issues.  That is critical to your success in Support, that every agent remembers they are dealing with a fragile mechanism, the human mind.

"In general, I think the support structure for Audition is atrocious.  I could not find the simplest of answers via the "User Guide" or any other Adobe print or online documents.  I am not sure if this is just Audition -- like your wicked stepchild -- or every app.  I am a strong fan of Creative Suite, love the easy interactions, and -- despite not being a sound engineer or even very intuitive when it comes to audio -- I actually like Audition.  I wish you would step back and let some novice users assist you in creating useful support.

"Having said that, there are two very notable exceptions:  SteveG on the Audition Forum, and your support staff in India.  This last experience, sharing my screen with Hind, and letting him delve into the inner workings of my installation, was a marvel.  He must have spent nearly two hours cleaning up my configuration, repairing a corrupted file, researching my problem.... absolutely superlative effort.  And in this time when international relations are so strained due to our tragic American political situation, this gives me hope.  Hind was an awesome ambassador not only for Adobe but for cross-cultural collaboration.  In the end, it is employees like Hind who will save the world.

"Please share this and do whatever you can to encourage him.  I am extremely grateful."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines