Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sennheiser EW 112P G4 Wireless Lavalier Mic " AF Out" " Sensitivity"

Guide ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I have the Sennheiser EW 112P G4 Wireless Lavalier Mic. I have a few questions, please.

I was told that It would be best for recording directly from the Sennheiser Into Canon 5D Mark4, to do the following:

1- Inside the Canon 5D Manual Audio Dial, Reduce the camera Pre-Amp all the way down to Zero and go one click up. Technically, the Camera Pre-Amp is doing no work.

2- Inside the Sennheiser Transmitter, Lower the Sensitivity to somewhere around -12dB, and Inside the Receiver, Play with the AF Out, for example, +6dB, or higher. Keep playing with AF-Out, and Sensitivity until the AF-PEAK is not Hot.

Someone else told me, It would be better to use at least 25% of the Canon 5D Mark4 Built-In Preamp, and 75% of the Sennheiser. Not to go all the way down, Inside the Canon Pre-Amp.

Also, with my Sony PXW-Z150 Camcorder, which has an XLR Jack, I did some testing, and I noticed that the Sony Built-In Pre-Amp was much more Powerful than the Canon DSLR. I noticed, with my Sony Z150 Camcorder, I tried the Sensitivity of -30dB, and the clip sounded nice.

What Is your recommendation?

Thank you very much.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385595-REG/sennheiser_ew_112p_g4_a_ew_112p_g4_camera.html

TOPICS
Audio hardware , How to , Noise reduction , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Technically the correct way to do this is as it says in the manual, because this is going to achieve a greater signal to noise ratio in the mic preamp, and that's pretty much what you want here. I can't think of any reason that you'd want to do it any differently from that - apart from anything else, you stand a greater chance of overloading the Cannon this way if an exceptionally strong signal comes along. Doing it the way the manual suggests means that you'll only have a potential overload in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically the correct way to do this is as it says in the manual, because this is going to achieve a greater signal to noise ratio in the mic preamp, and that's pretty much what you want here. I can't think of any reason that you'd want to do it any differently from that - apart from anything else, you stand a greater chance of overloading the Cannon this way if an exceptionally strong signal comes along. Doing it the way the manual suggests means that you'll only have a potential overload in the first stage, not further down the line as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear SteveG Audio Master.

I did many Testings. You are Correct.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines