• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit metadata Recording Date

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a multi-track session that I use as a template for my podcast.  I created this session years ago.  When I produce a new episode, I pull up this template which has my intro and outro music saved on it.  I then record my episode in this session.  The problem I have is that the recording date listen in the MetaData will always default to when I first created the session years ago.  If I erase and type in the date and save it, it switches it back before it saves.  I did confirm that if I create a new session, the Recording Date populates correctly.  If I hover over the Recording Date field, it says (xmp:CreateDate) so I believe this field will populate with the date the file was originally created regardless of when you actually record in it.  So, if I create a new multi-track session today, do nothing with it for a week, record audio, and then save it, the Recording Date will show a week ago because that field is populated with when the file was created.

Is there a way for me to overwrite this data or have it populate to the correct date when I actually record on it?  If not, what would be the best way to create a new session but have all the settings brought in from what I've saved in the template such as the intro music with it's fades and volumes intact?  I'd prefer to just use my template.

Also, after posting this, I went into my Session Template Multi-track Session and exported it as a Session Template.  When I create a new multi-track session, I can select that template to load with the new session.  This brings my intro/outro in as well as the Effects as I desired but the Recording Date still lists the Create Date from the original template I used.  To be clear:  Before, I was opening a session named Template, recording my episode, and then saving it as a new session.  I would do this for every episode.  Now, I create a new session and use the Template I created yet the Recording date remains.

Thank you,

~ Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure entirely why this is happening, but I've altered your title to say 'metadata' because ID3 data only refers to MP3 files, and not session files, and anybody searching the forum could get unnecessarily confused.

I suspect that the session metadata is stored as a part of the template, and as such then yes, it would retain the template origination date. What's not quite so clear is why you can't edit that, although there have been one or two anomalies with metadata before, and this might be another one - I'll have to check later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the edits and response.

Let's look at the actions and intentions here:  I create a template which is created from a session file which has it's own CreateDate.  From this point on, I create new sessions (this part is important) but use a template which has a creation date that is irrelevant to me.  I would expect my metadata to be saved and populated because that's part of why I created the template.  However, I would want my recording date to actually reflect my recording date, not the creation date of a template.  Again, I may work on a session for many days or even weeks and I would want that recording date to reflect the time I complete the project, mixdown, and export my audio file.  THAT is my recording date, in my opinion.

I can see that the Recording Date field is auto-populated with CreateDate from XMP Basic.  Within the same XMP Basic settings are Metadata Date and Modification Date.  I find those to be more appropriate for my Recording Date.  Maybe a dropdown menu in the Recording Date field that has these options would work or a setting somewhere where it allows you to choose which date you want to use for Recording Date. 

It would be nice for it to auto-populate as described above but I would be fine with just the ability to change the date manually.  As you stated, that's and odd thing that you cannot do that.

~ Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GingerDan  wrote

From this point on, I create new sessions (this part is important) but use a template which has a creation date that is irrelevant to me.  I would expect my metadata to be saved and populated because that's part of why I created the template.  However, I would want my recording date to actually reflect my recording date, not the creation date of a template. 

The problem here is that the template is what it says it is - a template. And that isn't a variable feast. What I can't discover is exactly where the creation date is stored. What we probably need here is Suitespot (who knows about these things) to elucidate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at a Template .sesx that I just Exported the Metadata appears in a block about a third of the way into the file.

<xmpMetadata><![CDATA[<?xpacket begin="" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.6-c146 79.163670, 2018/12/12-01:09:01 ">

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

<rdf:Description rdf:about=""

xmlns:xmp="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/"

xmlns:xmpMM="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/mm/"

xmlns:stEvt="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/ResourceEvent#"

xmlns:stRef="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/sType/ResourceRef#"

xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"

xmlns:xmpDM="http://ns.adobe.com/xmp/1.0/DynamicMedia/">

<xmp:CreatorTool>Adobe Audition CC 2015.1 (Windows)</xmp:CreatorTool>

<xmp:CreateDate>2016-01-29T12:09:18Z</xmp:CreateDate>

<xmp:MetadataDate>2019-02-25T22:58:12Z</xmp:MetadataDate>

<xmp:ModifyDate>2019-02-25T22:58:12Z</xmp:ModifyDate>

<xmpMM:InstanceID>xmp.iid:bbbf9d35-3974-1849-8f4a-dc4a0fb0a7c5</xmpMM:InstanceID>

<xmpMM:DocumentID>xmp.did:bbbf9d35-3974-1849-8f4a-dc4a0fb0a7c5</xmpMM:DocumentID>

<xmpMM:OriginalDocumentID>xmp.did:3d050f77-5f51-6249-8f17-40e81619abc1</xmpMM:OriginalDocumentID>

<xmpMM:History>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly.  I think we know where the Recording Date is populated from for certain at this point and your Metadata export shows that it is from xmp:CreateDate.  We also know that when we use a template when we create new sessions, it's going to fill in the Metadata we saved, which is of course what I want.  However, the issue here is that I do not want my Recording Date for a new session to reflect the date of the template session. 

Here's another thing I noticed.  When I am working in a new session with the template, the Metadata shown in the Multitrack window reflects what was saved in the template session (including the old Recording Date).  If I record within that session and view the waveform of the recording, the metadata reflects that of the new recording and the Recording Date is correct for that recording.  I know this is how it should be and it makes sense but it further makes me feel like the Recording Date on the new session is wrong. 

I'll add one more thing:  This incorrect recording date doesn't seem to have any effect on how my podcast episodes are viewed.  Even if the recording date listed on the ID3 tag for the .mp3 is incorrect, in the podcast app the episodes show a date of the publishing of the episode.  So, that's a good thing.  It's really just something that is bothering me but maybe it does affect others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just spotted this myself. I can change other aspects in the metadata such as the title, comments, copyright. But, I can't change the recording date, or add the album art.

Since Audition is the production "hub" of whatever we are creating, it seems like those things would really be beneficial to people's work flow.

I know it would help mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines