• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are parameter values initialized when using automation?

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are parameter values initialized when using automation?

I put the effects (compressor, EQ, etc.) on the effect window, adjust the parameters, and switch to automation (Touch, Latch, Write) to play. Then the parameter values are initialized.
I can't solve the problem. Help.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a start, Automation doesn't have a 'play' function, it has a 'read' function, and that's exactly what it does. If you put an effect into the effects rack and set any parameter to an initial value, that is 'read' and that's the starting position for the effect. If you modify an effect whilst in one of the writing modes, the effect on the envelope is written when you hit the stop button. If you are complaining about that, then I'm afraid you're out of luck; it's always been like this. Is this what you are saying? If it is, then 'initialised' isn't the term to use, as that only refers to a starting position, as I noted above..

So could you clarify exactly what you mean, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not good at English. So I know that it is difficult to understand you in English.

I'll post it for video instead.  you can see what is problem with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not good at English. So I know that it is difficult to understand you in English.
I'll post it for video instead. you can see what is problem with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That video doesn't reveal anything, I'm afraid. I would need to see a single example on one track, and not rushed with all sorts of clicking on the automation backwards and forwards to even get a hint of what you are on about, because to me - as far as I can tell - it's behaving normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plaese see video again.

When I start play, comp parameter of 'Read' track isnt any changed. but other track (latch, touch and write) are changed to reset ( threshold 0, ratio 1:1 ..)

Is it normaly behaving?

I cant see this operation in other DAW when I use automation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other DAWs do is, I'm afraid, irrelevant. I think you'll find that Audition is conforming to the way it's designed to work. Here is the appropriate section from the manual:

Write

When playback starts, overwrites existing keyframes with current settings. Continues to record new settings until playback stops.

Latch

Begins recording keyframes when you first adjust a setting, and continues to record new settings until playback stops.

Touch

Similar to Latch, but gradually returns settings to previously recorded values when you stop adjusting them. Use Touch to overwrite specific sections of automation while leaving others intact.

Protect settings when recording automation

When recording automation, you may want to protect certain parameters from inadvertent changes, while adjusting other parameters.

1. At the left of the Editor panel, navigate to the specific track's controls.
  2. Click the Show/Hide Automation Lanes icon [ICON].
  3. From the Show Envelopes menu, choose the parameter.
  4. Click the Protect The Parameter icon [ICON].

I would draw your attention particularly to this last section.

It's very difficult to tell with your video what's actually happening because we can't see the appropriate automation lanes for the settings you are complaining about. If you start playing from a point where all lanes are set to their default parameters, then that's exactly what you will get with any effect starting at that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please see this video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read carefully what it says about Latch. It means every word of it, and that's just what is happening. If you drag and drop an effect onto another track, rather than starting a new instance of it, then it will assume the same parameters as it is currently set to. When you hit latch, it records keyframes when you first adjust a setting. The setting you had when you dropped it onto the track does not count as an adjustment to its settings for the track, so the moment you hit play, it starts from the default. In other words, dropping an effect onto a track does not immediately affect the automation settings for a track.

So Latch is behaving as expected. What unfortunately isn't behaving is the setting you should have used to pick up the settings, which is Write. What write should do is to pick up whatever the settings are on a plugin, and overwrite the automation with them when playback starts - and it doesn't appear to be doing that. It is in fact doing what Latch is doing, which it shouldn't be. I'll write that up as a bug.

But if that's what you wanted to do, it would be Write you should have been using anyway, not Latch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having similar issues to Peace Eng. When editing multi-track, I leave tracks in READ mode while getting my EQ, Dynamics etc set. Once set, I will start at the beigning of the song, set each track to WRITE and mix the song. Everything works at this point. Once mixed, I save. If I close the program and reopen all of my dynamics are reset to defult '0' BUT my EQ holds. I have tried two systems, running newest version of Audition. Is this a known issue? Makes editing have to be done in one sitting or else you are starting at scratch with ALL dynamics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried it here, and it works perfectly as it should. Are you saying that if you record automation, and can see the envelopes when you save the session, that when you re-open it, they are all flat lines except the EQ? Under no circumstances can I reproduce that on the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you don't use automation any effects(paremeters are fixed, not '0' setting) in rack and just record volume, you can see this problem.

Current version still have this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines