• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge permanent CPU usage

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I let Bridge index a folder of RAW files, initially the CPU usage is high, then it drops after all RAW files have been indexed.

But Bridge continues to use 20-25% CPU, even if it apparently is doing nothing. When I exit Bridge (i.e. I close the window), this 20-25% CPU continues in the background.

It only stops when I kill the Bridge process in the task manager.

Is there any way to preven Bridge from using 20-25% CPU when it's doing nothing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Hi @Alfred5E88 

Thanks for your feedback.
Could you share the following details about the issue:

• Bridge version
  • System configuration
  • Is the issue specific to particular files/format?

Please share the sample file/files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

In response to my earlier post, Adobe contacted me and arranged for three of their Bridge team to come online and look at the CPU problem on my PC.  They are aware of the problem and they are working on it.  There was no indication as to when they would have a solution but that will depend on what they find is causing the problem.  Meantime the simple workaround is to use Bridge 12 which is fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alfred5E88 

Since your question is about Adobe Bridge, I have moved this from the Photoshop forum where you posted.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but nobody has provided a solution. I have therefore stopped using Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¿Cómo se puede trabajar sin usar Bridge)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alfred5E88 

Could you share the following details about the issue:

• Bridge version
  • System configuration
  • Is the issue specific to particular files/format?

Please share the sample file/files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version is 13.0.3.693.

Not sure what you mean with system configuration, but it's a PC with Windows 10 (latest version).

The issue is not specific to files or formats. Just now I opened Bridge again. It was on an empty folder and immediately went to 16% CPU load. The CPU load persisted even after closing the Bridge window (there was still a Bridge process in the task manager). The CPU load only goes away if I kill the Bridge process in the task manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alfred5E88 ,

By system configuration, I mean which CPU are you using and how much RAM is present in your system. Also how many content panels are you opening at the same time? 

Could you send us a screenshot or a screen recoding when Bridge seems to be using high CPU ? 

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I THINK the CPU spikes as soon as I use more than one  content panel.
it's been like this since the first 13. And to my knowledge its been up and down all the time.

But, right NOW CPU seems to spike to like 20-40% as soon as I hit the + for a new panel.
Win11
96GB ddr5
i9 13900K

Edit: And now it's back to 28% CPU with only one content panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge problem. I to have created a thread about this with examples.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/adobe-bridge-13-0-3-still-very-broken-regarding-pe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I closed some content panels, and CPU was back to les then 2%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently discovered this too. On a trip with a Dell XPS-13 Windows 10 laptop I noticed Bridge clocking constant CPU after being idle for several minutes. Came home and loaded images to my Win 11 desktop, a monster with 64GB memory and super fast everything. Same thing there.

Testing showed file types make no difference. Raw, Tif, Jpeg, PSD, all clock 25% to 45% CPU forever when "idle". But I did discover that the number of files in a folder does matter. Less than 40 files, no CPU problem. With 40+ files, CPU starts clocking at about 25% and increases to 45% as the number of files increases.

I have old Bridge Version 12.0.4.286 still installed on both machines and share cache with the new Bridge. The old Bridge has no problem with infinite CPU usage. So, this makes new Bridge unusable until fixed. I can run old Bridge with the new ACR and Photoshop, but for some unknown reason the new ACR won't launch within old Bridge. But change old Bridge prefs to launch ACR in Photoshop instead and all is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as YOU!!!!

I check the empty folder in Bridge,CPU clocking less than 3%~5%,that is normality!!!

But!!!as soon as I open my photocollection, the cpuclocking skyrockets to 25%-30%or moreeee...~~~even if I do nothing~~~~~~

I'm MacBook Pro M2pro,10 cores

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting weird. I tested the "panels" theory. No effect on my Windows 11 system. I closed all panels in Bridge, but it kept clocking 35% CPU.

Then I tried another test. With only Bridge and Task Manager running, and Bridge at constant 35%, I launched my stand-alone HDR programming. It eats max CPU briefly when doing its thing. For the 10 seconds the HDR program was processing, Bridge gave up its CPU and went to less than 1%, while the HDR program was at 97%. When the HDR program finished and went to 0% CPU, Bridge went back to 20%. Not the original 35%. But when I closed the HDR program, then Bridge went back to 35%.

So I tried it again, this time with Topaz Photo AI. Photo AI went to 30% CPU (and 40% GPU) but Bridge stayed at 35%. So Bridge didn't give up any CPU because it didn't need to. There was plenty available. I don't know much about Windows' priority system, but it seems Bridge is floating at low priority and will give up CPU to anybody who needs it. Still leaves the question of what on earth is Bridge doing. When it's floating at constant 35%, my Task Manager shows zero disk activity and zero Internet traffic. So Bridge is not phoning home and it's not reading/writing to disk. It's just sitting there thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another update, in case anybody at Adobe is paying attention. More weirdness on my Windows 11 desktop.

Navigate to any folder with more than 40 images of any type. See Bridge clock a constant +35% CPU. Then display only one image in that folder using a filter (add a label, filter only that label). See Bridge CPU drop to less than 1%. Then clear that filter to re-display all files in the folder. VOLIA!! Bridge stays at less than 1%.

Navigate to another folder and immediately back. See Bridge clock constant +35% CPU again. Filter to display 1 image, <1% CPU, clear filter, still <1% CPU. How weird in that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your lucky its only eating 20-25% CPU, on all my Macs it uses anywhere from 60-200%. It's been that way for at least the last 3 major versions of Bridge with no indication they care enough to fix it. This is with Bridge hidden in the background with zero interaction with it. The only thing that temporarily fixes it (a few days to maybe a few weeks) is purging all the cache and starting over from scratch rebuilding all your thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purging cache didn't work for me on Windows 11. I set up a new cache folder and re-launched Bridge. Let it cache a single temp test folder with 100 tif images. CPU was continuous at +35%. I deleted images from the folder a few at a time. CPU stayed at +35% until I got down to 32 images. Then CPU suddenly dropped to less than 1%. Still no disk or internet activity, so Bridge is just "thinking".

Did the same test on the temp cache with old Bridge version 12.0.4.286 with no problem. CPU always at less than 1% (after initial caching) regardless of the number of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @LarryK_95 

Regarding Mac, CPU utilisation is calculated differently. 100% means 100% on one core. If you have more than 1 core (or hyperthreading enabled), the CPU usage can be 100 times the number of cores. You can refer https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6345789 for more information on CPU usage calculation for Macs.

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I finally got some kind of respons regarding this horrible CPU-bug that's been with bridge from the first 13 up till now. I just tried to get hold of support asking them if they are aware of this and if they have a timeframe. After about 30 min, after he tried to help me with stuff thats probably a bug, he answered my initial question with info about Bridge. The team IS aware about the problem apparently and they are working ot it. And that's all I needed to know.

But. It would be nice if Adobe could have communicated this in the forums since it's such a serious problem and affecting the performance in a huge way. I finally gave up on 13 and installed 12 again. And it was like night and day.

So. Again. Adobe, please, would you mind communicating a bit more in the forums with us? It's affecting all of our workflows in a big way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your feedback . 

Bridge utilizes CPU to generate cache for the files that are visible on the screen. When the number of files visible on the content panel are reduced by toggling filters in filter panel, the cache generation is stopped for the files that are not visible, hence CPU utilisation comes down.

If you need cache generation to be faster and you do not need previews to be generated beforehand (generating previews also consumes CPU), you can adjust the following settings:

1. Click on the highlighted icon:

1.png

2. Select the Embedded(Fastest) option

2.png

This should speed up the cache generation for your system.

If you are still facing CPU utilisation issues, could you please confirm if the following Preference in Preferences-> Cache is checked?

3.png

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT the CPU idle issues everyone is having. None of theese standard tips is working for this problem. PLEASE tell me you are looking into this problem that is affecting so many?? 

After talking to your support they confirmed Adobe was aware of the problem. The chat resulted in me having to install v12 again, since none of theese standard fixes apply to the problem. I have the samme settings in v12, and everything works just fine.

v13 IS broken. Please replay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Navkamal Rakra, [abuse removed]. A 5 minmute test on just about any computer would clearly show the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, going back to version 12 seems to work. At least the huge CPU load in idle mode goes away.

To revert to version 12, see these instructions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge-discussions/how-to-download-an-older-version-2022-of-bridge/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2023 May 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @redcrown on guard, I often use Bridge for hours a day, and I've not seen this at all. 

The problem truly is that some people, such as yourself, are obviously seeing and are being affected by this. Others, such as myself, do not see this at all.  Let's say I was an engineer (which I am NOT, but let's say I was); how can I fix something that I cannot replicate?

This is no different than when your car is making a horrible noise and the performance is dreadful. You drive to your mechanic and there's no noise and the performance is fine. What can the mechanic fix? How can the mechanic fix it?

Again, I'm not saying you are not having these issues, but until someone can narrow down the cause, it is a major challenge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried, doesnt solve anything. CPU abuse over and over. so bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue for months. really wondering how adobe can ignore such an issue for such a long time. oh wait, its adobe... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines