• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge permanent CPU usage

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I let Bridge index a folder of RAW files, initially the CPU usage is high, then it drops after all RAW files have been indexed.

But Bridge continues to use 20-25% CPU, even if it apparently is doing nothing. When I exit Bridge (i.e. I close the window), this 20-25% CPU continues in the background.

It only stops when I kill the Bridge process in the task manager.

Is there any way to preven Bridge from using 20-25% CPU when it's doing nothing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Hi @Alfred5E88 

Thanks for your feedback.
Could you share the following details about the issue:

• Bridge version
  • System configuration
  • Is the issue specific to particular files/format?

Please share the sample file/files on which you are observing the issue at sharewithbr@adobe.com

Thanks,
Bridge Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

In response to my earlier post, Adobe contacted me and arranged for three of their Bridge team to come online and look at the CPU problem on my PC.  They are aware of the problem and they are working on it.  There was no indication as to when they would have a solution but that will depend on what they find is causing the problem.  Meantime the simple workaround is to use Bridge 12 which is fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i gave up on this... adobe seems not to be able to fix for years. its horrible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fun fact. its marked as sovled. haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While continuing to poke around with these Bridge problems I encountered a new error I've never seen before (in 20+ years). I had noticed that the NEW Bridge would sometimes regenerate previews as I navigated folders. Not always, and not on all images in a folder. This was a little consistent with ancient history. Updates to Bridge and ACR years ago would sometimes do that - regenerate previews. In fact, there was a time when Bridge/ACR would regenerate previews constantly, over and over again on the same folder.

So I tried testing NEW Bridge V14 against OLD Bridge V13 (the last version that worked well). I let OLD Bridge V13 cache a folder of images, then launched NEW Bridge on that folder to see if it regenerated previews. I went back and forth on this, several reps on different folders, looking for a pattern. But I didn't find one. Sometimes NEW Bridge would regenerate previews, sometimes not, with no logic I could see.

But then, suddenly, OLD Bridge gave me an error, shown below, saying the cache was bad. I closed OLD Bridge, made a backup copy of my cache, then re-launched OLD Bridge. As promised, it purged the entire cache. Could be a big problem without a backup. My cache is 22 GB, 46K files in 570 folders. It takes hours to rebuild from scratch.

And FWIW, all versions of Bridge after V13 ignore the "Generate Monitor Sized Previews" option. They generate 2048 pixel previews in the 1024 cache folder, regardless of monitor size. OLD Bridge V13 correctly generates 2560 pixel previews that match my monitor size.

OldBridge CacheError.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eureka! Bridge version 14.0.1.1137 and Camera Raw version 16.0.1.1683 released today (11/10/23). An initial test, browsing 10 folders with 200+ images, and NO CPU PROBLEM! (Shouting intentional). Plus, no re-caching seen.

It took 8 months but they finally got it fixed. Fingers crossed it stays fixed. Bridge is great, but the caching logic is based on some ancient and out-dated structure. I'm sure it's a nightmare for coders. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm trying out 14.0.1.1137 and it did not fix it for me. The only new change in behavior is bringing Bridge to the front-most app will stop the cpu usage, so you no longer have to do the resize the content window thumbnail size trick. This lasts for about 1-2 minutes and then its back to burning cpu. This is on mac OS 13.6.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines