Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Bridge scripting (javascript) and Camera Raw : jpg, dng, raw formats

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ! 

Do you know how to open an image with Camera Raw with Adobe Bridge javascript scripting ? 

I manage to :

- target Bridge application,

- get a list of all the .jpg images inside the folder "/Users/input_directory" (i'm using a Mac),

- select one image in the list (here the second image), 

- display the image in a new document

- select the thumbnail that corresponds to the file

The code is below : 

#target bridge-4.0;
var files = Folder("/Users/input_directory/").getFiles("*.jpg");
var file_test = files[2];

var doc = new Document(file_test); 
var selectedThumbnails = app.document.getSelection();
var thumb = selectedThumbnails[0];

Do you know how i can edit the image using Camera Raw by scripting, and then export it (in raw, dng or another format) ?

Documentation about Adobe Bridge can be downloaded here : https://console.adobe.io/downloads/br

In JavaScript SDK samples, there are 2 files : 

- SnpInspectMetadata.jsx

- SnpModifyMetadata.jsx

Does these files do the same thing than Camera Raw  ?

In Adobe Bridge 2021 JavaScript Reference.pdf, there is an option called OpenInCameraRaw but i don't know how to use it in the script. It is in the thumbnail part ?

Another documentation about XMP metadata is avalaible here : https://javascript-tools-guide.readthedocs.io/scripting-xmp/accessing-the-xmp-scripting-api.html

Thank you in advance !

TOPICS
Camera RAW , How to , Import and export , Metadata , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

app.document.chooseMenuItem('OpenInCameraRaw');

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera RAW cannot be scripted. This is a common request to Adobe but so far they refuse to implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lumigraphics ! Thanks for answering !

Even if Camera Raw is not scriptable, is it possible to call it under Adobe Bridge ? 

I mean, without scripting, under Adobe Bridge, if we select a thumbnail of an image, there is a button "Open in Camera Raw". Is it possible to call that with script ? 

Do you know if Camera Raw is automatically used when we export an input raw image in Adobe Bridge ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

app.document.chooseMenuItem('OpenInCameraRaw');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SuperMerlin thank you very much ! It works ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true Camera Raw is not scriptable, But

You might be able to do so in a limited way?

In folder :- var CameraRawfolder = Folder(Folder.userData + "/Adobe/CameraRaw/Defaults");

Contains the xmp defaults, one of these is called Previous.xmp

You could write a script to modify this file, select the thumbnails then apply "Develop Settings - Previous Conversion"

Then you would need the external DNG converter and script that to do your coversions.

It would be a lot simpler if Adobe made ACR scriptable

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP also wants to start with JPEG files, which really aren't designed to use ACR as a primary editing method. It will work but you can't output RAW and there are limitations on converting JPEG to DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Lumigraphics !

In fact, i was using jpg images for first tests to launch Bridge with scripting. The idea is that i'd be able to apply metadata to modify image appearance whatever the input format (raw, dng). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SuperMerlin thank you very much for your answer !
Do you know if the metadata (original ones and xmp from Lightroom for example) can be applied to the image while exporting it with Adobe Bridge ? 

In fact, i'd like to test different formats of input images : .jpg, .dng and .cr2. 

Is it what you'd like to say in your message ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't know anything about Lightroom,  maybe Lumigrapics might have an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have RAW files, you could script the creation of a sidecar I suppose. XMP sidecar files are plain text in XML format which Extendscript can handle.

Why not just use the existing batch processing features? That would be WAY easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @Lumigraphics !  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines