• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Rename, Rename in same folder is grayed out.

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select all of the files I want to rename on my SSD, and open Batch Rename, the option "Rename in same folder" is grayed out. How do I enable it? I haven't had this issue before, but this is a new external SSD I transferred all of my files to. Thanks.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not state if you are on a Mac or a PC or what version your OS is, but if you are on a Mac, this will probably fix your issue. I'm providing the instructions for both Pre-Ventura and Ventura because the process is a bit different once Ventura was released.

If you are on a PC, I'm sure a PC user can provide how to do the same thing. Their process is similar but different.

This is not the fault of Adobe or anyone; this is Apple making sure that applications that have not been given permission to access areas of your computer cannot access those areas of your computer.

Go to your System Preferences and select Security and Privacy (found in the top section). Now click on the Privacy setting (last tab). Now click on the lock on the bottom left and provide your Administrator code. Now select the Full Disk Access option and click on the "+" symbol. This will bring up the standard Mac Open window and let you add any application you want or need to have full access. Look for Bridge, and select it; it will now appear in that window, and make sure it's checked. Next, go to the Files and Folders option and do the same thing as above (although there's nothing to check, just add. Close everything down and see if that makes it all work.

Please let me know

[Note: these images are from an older OS, the process is the same.]

gary_sc_0-1681056053272.png

gary_sc_1-1681056053273.png

Close everything up, and you should be good to go.

The Ventura Way

This sounds like you've not given Bridge permission for Apple's protection. Simply, this is an Apple protection issue, not Adobe's issue. The following was written for someone who needed (the same) help with Acrobat, just substitute Bridge and see if this solves the problem.

Go into the System Preferences and select the Privacy & Security tab on the left, then select the Accessibility tab top.

gary_sc_2-1681056053273.png

Now, click on the "+" button on the very bottom which will open a Finder's window into the Applications folder. Select Acrobat Pro. Be sure to slide the On/Off button to On (to the right). You may need to enter your administrator's password at some point. You also may need to quit Acrobat and reopen.

gary_sc_3-1681056053273.png

Please let us know if that works or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary,

Thank you for the quick reply, and sorry for the late response! My system is a Windows 10 PC, Although I appreciate your timely and thorough response. The issue, in this case, was a very simple user error: I did not format my SSD before transferring my files. The solution was to transfer my files to the hard drive on my computer, format the SSD, and transfer the files back. After doing this, voila! I was able to use the batch rename feature. 

Hopefully, both of our responses will help others in the future. The simple things are easy to overlook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, glad you had an easy and complete solution. 

Unfortunately, when many people write for help, they have in their brains what they have and assume that it should be "known." I know I've certainly done this over time. So, I had to assume that your problem is a common problem amongst Mac users and if you WERE a Mac user, it would have been the answer. But your answer makes no sense to a Mac user (LOL).

Again, glad it was resolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, thank you for this detailed answer. I have followed your instructions and still have the option to "rename in same folder" greyed out. The only thing I did not do is add adobe acrobate to accesibility because I do not have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was because I was trying to write onto a WD Drive that had not yet been given access. 

All good!

Moreover thank you again for the above answer as I'm sure that was also neccesary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines