• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge 2021 and metadata startup script

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some years back I successfully used a couple of startup scripts in Adobe Bridge (pre-CC days) which allowed me to import and otherwise wrangle photo metadata. I'm now trying to do something siilar using Bridge 2021. Specifically I'm trying to install a script  VRA_Export-Import_2_0_2020-01-03 that facilitates the import of metadata from an Excel spreadsheet. I have placed the .jsx file in the startup scripts folder, but after restarting the app I got no prompt to allow the script to run, even though it shows (and is enabled) in the Preferences > Startup scripts window. I am not entirely clear as to how the script should be run from Bridge (Tools?), but in any case I see no sign of it in any of the menus.

Can anyone advise whether that script should run in CC Bridge 2021 or whether I'm chasing a lost cause. If that's the case, can anyone recommend alternative solutions? I know Exiftool is an option but from previous experience I find that a bit of a mind bender. Grateful for toughts and pointers.

TOPICS
Import and export , Metadata , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumagraphics is our chief script guru.

He lurks here and should be able to help you.

If I try , I will have Bridge ordering pizza online .........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the pizza--with extra Java please ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. So I created a file called DIY Metadata.jsx and put it in the startup folder as before but with the same result. Bridge sees the file but doesn't ask me to "allow" and again I can see it in the prefs but I can't see any way to run it. Not entirely sure where should I see the script to run it. Is that a Bridge thing? or maybe a me thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Bridge preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you selected files in Bridge?

Various options here:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2016/08/extracting-metadata-to-csv.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the following will help on the VRA tool:

Re: Can you import metadata from an excel database to images (JPG, PSD, TIF) in bulk?

You first have to export to have the correct format for importing… The same concept applies to ExifTool:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/need-a-script-to-update-keywords-for-20000-images-in-bridge/m-...

My "Part A" post on exporting, the "Part B" post on importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for the helpful reponses, in particular to Lumigraphics: resetting the preferences (ctrl-opt-shift on startup) did the trick and both scripts are now available in the Bridge menu bar. I haven't had time to experiment with the actual import process but we're on the road now. As you may have gathered I'm no expert, so the other links look like they'll be valuable too. Will let you know how things go. Much obliged one and all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines