• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge CS5 crashes repeatedly (CS4 did too)

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A typical workflow for me is to open 4-5 raw files (.dngs)  in Camera Raw from Bridge, edit them, save them as tiffs, return to Bridge, and move the raw files to a sub-folder. My problem usually arises when I try  to move the raw files. Bridge moves them, but at the same time it crashes. I can move 1 file at a time without crashing, but not 2 or more.

I hoped CS5 would solve this problem, but it hasn’t. I've trashed my prefs, several times. I've purged the cache, several times. I've changed my openGL settings in Photoshop to Basic. Each thing I try works for a short time (meaning that for about an hour I can move 2 .dngs at  a time into subfolders after editing/saving in Camera Raw). Then it stops working, and I’m back to repeated crashes.

I’m running Photoshop CS5 x64 in Windows 7, with 12 GB of Ram, an i7 quad-core processor, and an ATI Radeon 4870 graphics card. Photoshop CS4, and now CS5, work like a dream; and so does Camera Raw. I know Bridge can’t see most of that RAM, but I'd really like it to work for me as well as it did in CS3, on a much older, slower machine.

Is this a problem other people have had? I haven’t been able to find much about it in the forums or Google, only a solution involving an nVidia graphics card, which I don't have. Oh - I've got the latest drivers for my graphics card, etc.

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

To change compatibility mode to Windows 7

• right click the bridge icon

• scroll to properties to get the adobe bridge cs5 properties box

• go to the compatibility tab, in the compatibility mode section

• select windows 7 from the drop down menu

• check run this program in compatibility mode in the check off box.

• Select apply and exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary and colleges!

Have you found a solution !?

For me it´s the same: a brand new win7 x64 notebook and bridge (without any plugins or stuff) crashes or stucks doesn´t matter what I do: takes 2 min for the last piece of accion moving 40 lousy 800 kbit jpegs from one local folder to the next. Tells me in the status bar "no reaccion" if I dare to click during this status onto bridge, the screen turns whitish (transparent"), if I want to quit bridge the bridge-intern "want to end the prozess?!" pop up comes (dialogue boxes more or less well translated guys, this problems takes place in Germany, but our forum is weaker than yours) and than I can force-quit it.

I de-installed anything the whole standart edition cs 5 suite and reinstalled. I got the newest updates, no change... It´s impossible to work, and I need so much to work with brigde. Why didn´t I buy a mac instead, To late now I got a 4 gb  Ati HD 5730 1gb Graphic card equipped laptop with enough drive space and resources. I have no special no special preferences. only that the cache lies on d) with allowance to export the cache to folders, because in the beginning I remember having had problems with a collection of 18000 CR2 files. But no bridge isn´t even allowing me to work with 50 files all smaller than 300 mb. Too bad. Any idea !?

Thanks, Sebastian from cold Germany (global warming is bringing more colths to us)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same issue im running cs5 on a windows 7 64 bit , one thing i noticed is if i move a file into a folder thats in the same window it doesnt crash but if i move a file into the favorites window and drop it in there it will crash , i dunno ya pay all this money and expect it to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also to Bicycle Bastian,

Curt suggested this and it worked for me.

You could try to reset preferences by pressing and holding the Ctrl key  while starting Bridge.  You should get a reset window, choose all 3  options.

He reply is about 5 replies above at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt suggested this and it  worked for me.

You could try to reset  preferences by pressing and holding the Ctrl key  while starting Bridge.  You should get a reset window, choose all 3  options.

He reply is about 4-5 replies above at this  time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had this issue with Bridge CS4 & CS5 in Mac OSX, Leopard & Snow Leopard.

But resetting the bridge preferences did that Trick!!!

Hold down "Option" on mac when starting Bridge. (CNTRL on Windows)

Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read the queston and all replies after googling the problem.  I've just uninstalled CS3 and upgraded to CS5 Photoshop.  I'm getting exactly the same probls as noted -- on trying to move or copy files to a new location with Bridge, and this never happened with the previous version.  I'm using Vista, 32 bit, but I also have a laptop 64 bit W7 and I've not tried CS 5 on it yet.

I don't have anything like the techie knowledge most of you guys have  but like some here, I urge Adobe to work on this asap!   So far I'm doing a cumbersome work-around, ridiculous -- to avoid the crash, instead of moving files, I open them in P'shop and save them in the new location.  If I had a huge workload of course this would be an impossible non-solution, but it's OK at the moment because i'm not doing big shoots.

But it's exasperating and a great shame, because P'shop CS5 is so terrific.  I'll keep watching here in case someone comes up with a solution.  Thanks for the discussion.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, it's quite a shame. Even after the fourth update (on behalf of Adobe) the problems stays the same..one better workaround: mark the desired photos, ctrl/appel C(opy) them and then paste them via Windows Explorer (oy "My documents" or whatever) or Finder (Mac). Copy in Bridge, paste in the native file hndling software of your operating system..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2011 Jan 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks b-b, actually I've just been working on the Windows 7 64 bit laptop and transferred up to 10 files varying sizes from a few hundred kb to about 8+ mb without it crashing -- it's early days and I'm waiting to see if it continues to work, but at the moment I'm wondering if it's got anything to do with Vista rather than Bridge as such ... Anyway, I've just defragged the pc and followed the advice here to start Adobe with Ctrl (although that didn't make a difference).

I'll keep watching this space

cheers

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem for a while and have disabled startup scripts, killed the Switchboard, reset prefs, etc. It crashes as soon as I move any files, no matter how small.

Running XPPro, SP3, v.3311 and Bridge is current (4.0.4.2) on a Dell P4 3.4GHz with 3 GB ram.

Thanks,

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi folks,

since almost one year by now we`re reading all again and again the same problems. No update eases the pain. Maybe we should start to bother Adobe by coordinated Email-Resquests ?! Or does anybody have another idea how to make them clear that they should take this bug serious ?!

Thanks, Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have re-read some of this long thread.  Even though it has been recommended by Adobe that one should right click and choose "move to" or "copy to" I still see a lot of effort to drag and drop.

I also see some users find relief after a reset of preferences, only to go back to the crash mode after a few moves.  As mentioned earlier I feel this could be a memory problem, or inadequate Page File (google this if unsure what it means).

For Adobe to fix a problem it must be reproduced in their lab.  I don't see any effort in this thread that this is happening.  Those with problems should be looking at their crash reports and see it there is any common thread among you that Adobe can work on.  They visit this site occasionally and may pick up on the problem if it can be narrowed down.

Hope this helps, I know it must be very annoying when it does not work as advertised.

Message was edited by: Curt Y  Have you tried increasing the cache file size in both the general cache and Camera Raw cache preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 27, 2011 Jan 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge team investigated this issue for quite some time and we found one bug in the program which may be the cause. Please try the following steps and see if it remedies the issue.

1. Check if the Collections Panel is opened in your workspace. If not, open it.

2. Check if there is at least one node in the Collections Panel. If not, create one collection.

3. Leave the Collections Panel open and try the CopyTo/MoveTo operation.

If there is no crash happened after these steps, you've hit by the bug we found. Otherwise, it might be another story. The bug should only appear on CS5 not on CS4, and it appears on both Windows and Mac. This bug will be fixed in future releases, but currently there is no plan to release a new dot release for CS5. We will have a discussion internally and decide whether there will be one. Before that, please take the above steps as a workaround. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried those steps and it worked.  I was able to move a couple of files several times by right clicking and move to.  I then closed the Collections panel and tried again and it still worked.  Closed & restarted Bridge and moved a couple of files and Bridge crashed.  Restarted Bridge, opened Collections panel and it worked again.  By that it seems to work if you've opened the Collections panel during the session.  I'm going to leave the Collections panel in my workspace.

Thank you for coming up with a solution .

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo!!   It worked -- both a copy to and a move to, although I've not dared to close the Collections panel yet.  Thanks to you and to all those who replied to my own question as well as to all those who've contributed before I even got CS5 ...

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2011 Jan 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no...what a pity..for me not. The main reason why I am working with Bridge is to use collections. So from the beginning I have that panel open and all the time up and well filled with dozens of collections...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same crash happens with me. Windows 7 64-bit. I try to drag some files out of Bridge into a folder in Windows Explorer and it crashes. This is with the collection panel open, and with an actual collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this fix and it seems to be working.Somewhat strange though because, contrary to the findings of the Bridge team, I had a similar problem with Bridge CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2011 Aug 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was changing the compatibility mode to 'Windows 7'. This also worked for me in the CS5.1 programs included in the Adobe Master Collection CS5.5 Suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you change compatibility mode to 'Windows 7'? If I right click on bridge.exe, I get options to 'run as administrator' (which, if I remember right, runs a program as if under Windows XP), or 'Troubleshoot compatibility', which has on offer 'try recommended settings' and 'troubleshoot compatibility'. Neither of these leads to an offer to change compatibility mode to W7.

BTW, Bridge is behaving a lot better for me these days.

Best wishes

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change compatibility mode to Windows 7

• right click the bridge icon

• scroll to properties to get the adobe bridge cs5 properties box

• go to the compatibility tab, in the compatibility mode section

• select windows 7 from the drop down menu

• check run this program in compatibility mode in the check off box.

• Select apply and exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I thought I was reasonably Windows-7 savvy, but I still have a ways to go.

Best wishes

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just lucky that I found it relatively quickly last week when

looked to change mine from XP. I haven't had problems with CS5 in a

long time thankfully.

Lois

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, also, could not find the "compatibility mode to Windows 7" by right

clicking. Adobe Tech responded to my question about Bridge Crashing and

said there was a bug in the program. Perhaps it's been fixed by now because

I asked that question a few months ago. However, Bridge does not crash if

you will open Collections even if you don't have anything in it. For some

reason that stops Bridge from crashing. Worked every time for me. If I

forgot to open it, Bridge would crash after I'd been working in it for a

while.

I've since switched to Light Room 3. Much better than Bridge. Thanks for

responding to my earlier question. Mikki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you don't have Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 installed then you won't be able to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines