• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge no longer follows symbolic links

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently started using Bridge 2020 on a MacBook Pro High Sierra (coming from the old Bridge CS5).  There are a number of degradations in the new Bridge 2020 and I can't see what's actually better - overall it seems to be clumsy port of the old bridge which worked rather well.  I shall create a different thread for each problem.

I have lots of external drives which I plug in and out as and when needed.  An intrinsic problem of Bridge (even under the old version) was that if you create a shortcut under Favourites to a volatile directory (like an external drive), if you click on it when the directory is not available, in its wisdom it decides that it needs to remove the shortcut!!

In order to get around this annoyance I had created a directory called "Switchboard" on my MBP and in terminal, I had created symbolic links to the said drive's target directory, (ln -s /Volumes/blah/photos ~/Switchboard/blahPhotos).

I would then add Switchboard to my favourites and this worked well under the old Bridge but not under 2020.

Very annoying as I can't simply jump to a directory on an external drive when I plug it in. I have to cruise to the directory...

AFAIK there is no workaround for this.

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Use aliases, not symbolic links.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use aliases, not symbolic links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that does it.  Must admit I had to look it up as I was unaware you could now (since when?) create Aliases in Finder.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AshSangaki,

Aliases could be made at least since around 1985.

There are two different ways to make them: Right-click (Control-click) on the item you want to make an alias and select "Make Alias." 

Also, mouse-down on the item and press the Option AND the Command key and drag. You'll see a curved arrow following the icon as you drag it to let you know you are not making a copy, rather an alias.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess Adobe doesn't want to listen to their customers. Every other software package follows sym links!  Adobe is about like Microsoft and Office- if it wasn't for Photoshop they wouldn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines