Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge re-numbering/sequencing

Participant ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently learned how to remove sequence numbers since I needed to re-order files and therefore attache new numbers (e.g. 056-file.psd)

However, after re-organizing the images, un-numbered them and then re-numbered them, I found that in Windows Explorer everything was srambled up, some numbers showed twice.

I've got so far to realize that Explorer always works by file name and if i do the same in bridge files are also scrambled / not the way I ordered them. But in order to re-sequense them I had to re-order them first, which puts them automatically in "Manual" mode - which Explorer seem to NOT recognize - and keeps showing them scrambled.

I hope I could make myself clear. What can I do other than re-name every file manually in Explorer/Filename mode?

Every suggestion is highly appreciated

TOPICS
Batch , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explorer can sort by numerous criteria including size, date, and yes filename. If you want files sorted a specific way, they have to be numbered in sequence. You can possibly use Batch Rename to accomplish this.

https://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/using/automate-tasks-adobe-bridge.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I did. Please read my post. In Batch Rename, moving files in the new order puts it automatically into "manual" mode ... which, after re-numbering them, completely scamble when put back into "Filename" mode.

One would think that the new number given at the beginning keeps it in that order when putting into "Filname" mode, but it doesn't...all scambled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have them renamed, why are you reordering them? You have to rename in the order you want.

Can you post screenshots because maybe I'm not understanding what you want to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for your response.

I guess it's diffficult to describe.

These are hundreds of thumbnails going into a book/catalogue.

The main thing is that whatever I do in Bridge is not reflected in Explorer.

At leats not if I use manual ordering first, then give them the right number.

Explorer does not recognize the manual order in Bridge and will still look scrambled despite the new numbers.

However, I found another way by leaving bridge in Filename mode, then pick/highlight the ones I want to group together and give them adjacent numbers. Like this they will group together ... also in Explorer.

I'll skip the screen shots and consider it solved.

Thanks for your effort.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, any custom arrangment in Bridge is only usable there, it won't show in any other app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes-and just to confirm ...

You cannot change the order of files in Bridge, which automatically pouts it into Manual mode and then assign number sequence ... it all looks good in Bridge but Explorer does not recognize the new order and all looks scrambled.

So, a new order with new numbers must be done in Filename mode ... in sync with / recognized in Explorer.

... unless one doesn't care what it looks like in Explorer.

This just for possible future concerns or questions by others

Cheers and thanks for the replies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have no idea what you are doing.

Explorer will order things by filename.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Number your sequences like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what's the problem - how can I describe it better?

In short:

Moving files around in Bridge (Manual) will NOT be repeated in Explorer.

In Explorer they will remain as they were, ONLY order by fule name.

Therefore, if one wants to change the order in Explorer, it can only be done by adding a number sequence

If that's too complicated ... I don't know

Thanks for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes this is true. Any custom order in Bridge is ignored in all other apps. You MUST rename the files to have a different order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines