Exit

CS4 bridge... enabling camera raw??

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2008 Oct 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed CS4, and get the following when trying CTRL-R:

"Camera Raw editing is not enabled.
Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."

What the heck qualifying product is supposed to be launched, and how can I enable RAW in Bridge?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2009 Mar 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to restore windows on a vista 64 bit based computer and reinstall cs4. Used the adobe updater. Found I could not open dng files in camera raw. manually put raw files in proper places in x86Program files, etc and 64 bit progrm files. Still can't open dng files in camera raw. Now when I click in photoshop on help plugins, I find camera raw is listed twice.

Bottom line is apparently that updater is worthless and installs camera raw in an incorrect place. I could not find a solution for this on the Adobe site and sent them a request for help.

Can't understand why Adobe does not fix this common problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem.

1. Used search to find all copies of camera raw files in the x86Program Files and regular 64 bit program files and deleted them.

2. Manually installed camera raw as per instructions in info with camera raw download.

Manual 64-bit installation on Windows:

If you are using Photoshop CS4 as a 64-bit application, you can use the Adobe Update Manager to install Camera Raw 5.3. [***Note this part of instructions is totally wrong because update puts files in wrong place. Instead follow the manual installation below.]

If a manual update of the plug-in is required, install the Camera Raw plug-in in two locations:

a. The CameraRaw.8bi found at the top level of the zip folder should be placed in the following directory:

Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

b. The CameraRaw.8bi found in the folder labeled 64-bit should be placed in the following directory:

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary - from you post can't tell if you solved your problem on RAW or not. You can only have one ACR file in the folder for it to work. Rename the old version or delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same error and found this fix for my Windows Vista/Ultimate/64 bit, CS4.

From CS4 Photoshop, I open Bridge and then doubled click on CR2 file and it finally opened the file in Camera Raw 5.3.  I closed all, open Bridge, doubled click on CR2 and jpeg file and it worked.

This was my first attempt to open Bridge from Photoshop (maybe enabling the Camera Raw for Bridge???).  I hope this helps someone as I worked on this for hours.  Cecil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with Camera Raw editing not enable:  Vista Ultimate/64 Bit/ CS4 English.

After reading all the post, without finding one that worked, I opened Photoshop and then Bridge from Photoshop.  I then opened a CR2 without a problem.  I then closed all, opened Bridge, as stand alone, and double clicked on a CR2 image and Camera Raw 5.3 opened for the first time.

In my case, opening Bridge, via Photoshop did something to allow Camera Raw editing.  It was as if I turned on a light swith for Bridge.

Hope this helps someone.

Cecil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has happened to me twice after successfully using CS4 BRIDGE "Open in Camera RAW" facilty for several months without any hitches, both on my laptop running Vista and on my main PC running XP.  I have tried the simpler answers posted here but none so far have solved the issue of opening RAW files in Bridge - though can still use Photoshop CS4 to open multiple RAW files (but don't have enough memory to always have both CS4 & BRIDGE running at once).  I also have kept CS3 as hate the removal of the easy way to create web galleries in CS4 but LOVE the topical RAW ajustment tool in CS4 - so have to use both versions!  Is there a proven solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 04, 2009 Aug 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ReelLifePhotos wrote:

I also have kept CS3 as hate the removal of the easy way to create web galleries in CS4 but LOVE the topical RAW ajustment tool in CS4 - so have to use both versions!  Is there a proven solution to this?

You can install the "legacy" web galleries and their templates in CS4!

See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404900.html which among other thing states:

Quote:

Web Photo Gallery

The ability to create a Web Photo Gallery is now available in the Adobe Bridge CS4 OutputModule. We highly recommend creating your Web Photo Galleries this way. If you would like to continue using the legacy Web Photos Gallery plug-in (WebContactSheetII), please follow these steps:

1. From the Photoshop CS4 install disc, drop the //<language>/Goodies/Optional plug-Ins/Automate/WebContactSheetII plug-in into the //Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plugins/Automate folder
  2. From the Photoshop CS4 install disc, drop the //<language>/Goodies/Presets/Web Photo Gallery folder into the //Adobe Photoshop CS4/Presets folder and then restart Photoshop.

Optional: To add this legacy functionality back into Bridge (as a menu item):

1. From the Photoshop CS4 install disc, drop the //<language>/Goodies/Optional plugins/Bridge Startup Scripts/photoshop_web_contact_sheet folder and photoshop_web_contact_sheet.jsx file into following locations:
    • Mac OS: //Library/Application Support/Adobe/Startup Scripts CS4/Adobe Photoshop/
    • Windows XP: //Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Startup Scripts CS4/Adobe Photoshop/
    • WindowsVista: //Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Adobe/Startup Scripts CS4/Adobe Photoshop/
  2. Restart Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2009 Aug 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John.  Will try adding that in then.  I still need to solve this sudden refusal of camera RAW to open from the right click menu in CS4 Bridge which is ruining my work-flow!  I do seem to have successfully copied my various other plugins across from CS3 Photoshop, as am still on 32bit so might be able to remove CS3 altogether now thanks (and just bite the bullet and redo all my actions !) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ReelLifePhotos wrote:

I still need to solve this sudden refusal of camera RAW to open from the right click menu in CS4 Bridge which is ruining my work-flow!

Have you checked in Bridge preferences?

Edit > Preferences > File Type Associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're all set to default, John. I had been happily using it for several weeks now, not made any recent changes but the "Open in Camera  Raw" function suddenly disappeared mid using it yesterday, as it did from my laptop about 7 weeks ago.  Photoshop is fine, just Bridge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, checked preferences and all still set as before to default.  I didn't make any changes and it suddenly stopped working while I was using it, as it did about 7 weeks ago on my laptop too!  I have latest RAW 5.4 plugin too.  Photoshop CS4 opens the Raw fine but not CS4Bridge anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it worked before and not now you might need to reset your preferences in Bridge.  Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the  shortcut icon for Bridge to start.  You should get a reset window.  Choose all 3 options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2009 Nov 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been driving me nuts, however I came across what I think is the answer.

I have CS4 with Camera Raw 5.5 and Windows Vista. If I have CS4 open and then open Bridge and right click on an thumbnail in Bridge and select 'open in ACR', or 'control+R', then the dreaded 'Camera Raw is not enabled' message appears.

However, if I do not open CS4 but go directly into Bridge, then click on a thumbnail, ACR opens automatically. If I press shift and click on a thumbnail then CS4 opens. Itseems to me that it should be the other way round, 'shift+click' should open ACR and 'click' should open CS4. However this is what happens so I am learning to live with it.

If Adobe staff read this please send an update which will reverse this, therefore correcting it, or perhaps change your instructions round so that they match the reality. In any case let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX Leopard /XP
CS4
Bridge 3
Camera Raw 5.5

Here's a simple solution:

Open Bridge -> have any .CR2 image -> double-click it - it will open in Camera Raw ->in Camera Raw click on "Open Preferences Dialog" or Control K -> down at the bottom of a Camera Raw Preferences in the boxes "JPEG and TIFF Handling select "Always open JPEG files with settings using Camera Raw" and "Always open TIFF files with settings using Camera Raw" -> OK to get out of the Camera Raw Preferences -> Cancel out of the Camera Raw. Then close down Bridge and Photoshop. Reopen Bridge, right-click or double click on ANY image format (JPEGS, . CR2) it triggers Camera Raw from here on.

if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

info@vophotostudio.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

try this. i have cs5 and the way i got round it was.in cs5 go to( edi-,preferences-camera raw,go down to jpeg and tiff handling and change jpeg setting to automatically open all supported jpegs,click ok and when you open a jpeg in bridge it should open the jpeg first in raw then,when you have finished editing just open image in cs5.works for me only downside is all of your jpegs will open in cameraraw first,before you can edit them in photoshop,you can change the settings back at anytime tho,(edit- preferences -cameraraw -automatically open jpeg with settings)will set it back to default setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines