• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Raw files

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Bridge export RAW files without converting them to something? I'm trying to put the files on an external drive and I don't have an option for just RAW. Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, @Jose275289605ysv; Bridge cannot export anything because it's just a viewer (Lightroom Classic is a database so you can export from there, and Apple's Photos is a contained image system so you cannot access your images once they are in that system by any other application). All you need to do is to move your raw files to wherever you want them to be. You can do this in the Finder/Explorer or within Bridge. (Admittedly, it's a bit easier to make moves like this in the Finder/Explorer than in Bridge.

However, before you do that, some thoughts to think of: What you want to do is to move the raw files far away from where the (I suppose) jpg files are. I'm also assuming that you're doing this because you are running out of space on your computer's hard drive. Despite the need, this is not necessarily the best way to do this. 

I have a 4 TB drive that holds all of my images and many documents. I have a 2nd 4TB drive that I use to back up my first drive. I manually do this at least once a week or more often if I've done a lot of work.

I have a 3rd 4TB drive I use for Apple's Time Machine.

I also use a cloud service in case the house burns down. Am I paranoid? No, just a realist. In a worst-case scenario, I would not lose much, at worse, sometimes. 

(Let me add here that all drives are capable of crashing. I've been using hard drives since the mid '80s and I've had a number of drives crash, I only lost a lot of data on the first crash — that was my lesson. Now, every drive has a duplicate.)

[Note: the 4TB is entirely based on what I need. Your needs may demand more or less hard drive space. Whatever you think you need, double it. Oh, the backup drives do not need to be SSDs or anything fancy or fast, just reliable. I do not like to use portable drives as they are not as robust as desktop drives. And be aware that your first backup will likely take a long time. Also, look for backup software that can update your data as opposed to replacing your data. If you're on a Mac I can strongly recommend ChronoSync. If you're on a PC, I'm sure someone can make recommendations.]

I know this was a lot more than you asked for, but I've been there so I'm talking from experience. 

Anyhow, what this does is to keep all of the files together so it's not at all difficult to find things. Plus, one other thought is that you have to ask yourself how often you need to access any of the JPG images. My thought is that I make them as needed and then toss them afterwords as I am unlikley to need them soon or often again. Again, just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines