Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders in Bridge

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can someone help me?

I've uploaded lots of folders in bridge which have many images in them.

Showing at the moment is each folder only with a date on them. Is it possible to show all the folders contents , so I can see each image from every folder on the main start up page, rather then jut a content of one folder? Basically so I can see 1000's of images at start up?

Thank You

Terry

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand your intention, I can suggest that you move all your folders into one parent folder.

Select the parent folder then go to View>Show Items from Subfolders.

There is also, in the hamburger drop down on the Content Tab, the option to "Always Show Items from Subfolders"

Hope this may solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik

Thank you very much for reply and help. I'm not sure how to create a parent folder, but I've selected show sub folders and it has generated thumbnails for all 28534 images !

If I add further folders to the photo folder will it automatically add the images to the photo ( subfolders)? It has generated thumbnails and previews ?  Please see attached screenshot 

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you already have your folders in a parent folder, namely "Photo". If that is incorrect, just create a suitably named folder and drag all the other folders into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, how can you find anything in that? Even with Keywords it would be a nightmare (and Bridge's search capabilities are not the strongest).

If I were you, I'd have one folder for planes, and inside that, I'd start to separate them by size and/or date and/or jet and/or propellor and/or passenger, and/or etc. 

That way, you could at least start to narrow down your search before you begin.

But obviously, content organization is a very personal thing. Many people rely solely on dates, and their images are sorted into folders only showing a date. As one who is chronologically challenged, that would never work for me, which brings me back to how personal it needs to be to work for you. If opening a folder of 28534 images lets you easily and quickly find a specific file, great. That would never work for me.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies .

All my images are named by registration , aircraft type and where taken , so hopefully I can search for them with this .

I use to use FotoAlbum pro 7 , but unfortunately they went out of business last year and I can't have this program on my new PC. This program was great and easy to use .

I'll tinker about with Bridge and hopefully can get my head around the program , old dog new tricks and all that !

Thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Terry5FD2 I use Collections to keep track of all my Aviation images on multiple drives.  Mine are also keyworded with tail number or serials and linked to the CASA data for those as well as the military serials lists.  Good luck with your project getting this sorted in Bridge.  I've got half a million images of aircraft sorted this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply you have lots more aircraft images then me.

Thexm attached image is how I'd like bridge to look like, how do I get it please to default to these settings , I keep on having to tick show sub folders and I'd like the images to show the date I took the images with the latest first

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the content pabel menu and select "Always show items from Subfolders"

gregreser_0-1668538596971.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how I'd do that.  Create a Collection.  Call it whatever you want.  Then go to you folder as you have shown in your screenshot.  Once again check the show contents of sub-folders, then select all of the images by Ctrl-A (images only, not folders) and then add them to the Collection.  Once they are all in the collection (usually very quick), then go and choose your sorting options for the collection.  There's a box up at the top right part of the screen that allows you to sort by a few different criteria from the EXIF data.  Date Created is one of them and the arrow beside it is for ascending or descending.  You'll need to make sure that you add new images to the collection and I do that by dragging and dropping new images to the Collection.  You can create a Smart Collection which I believe will update as you add new images, but I'm at the stage where I no longer trust Adobe Products to do anything automatically so I stay will manual methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Viewing Collections is a bit quirky if you're new to Bridge.  Once your Collection is set up, you click on that Collection and it will then go througfh the tedious process of displaying the previews.  Once that is done you can then click on the Filter tab and you can use the Collection like a normal folder.  A Collection is like a 'saved search' so it will take time to preview images.  Collections containing more images will obviously take longer.  I work on new images in just the folder I've downbloaded them to before putting them in my Collections.  My Collections are more about finding images using a search on EXIF data or Keywords than about using them as a container from which to edit them.  You'll see from my screenshot that I also have Collections for birds and things other than Aviation images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephen and everyone else that replied, I'll do what you suggest , sometimes bridge seems to freeze on my PC for some reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge freezes on my PC too and I'm using the previous version because the lates wouldn't work for me.  Too many bugs.

I'd point you to Photo Mechanic but it seems that whoever is moderating here doesn't like that as my post disappears.  Anyway, I'll try again.

Photo Mechanic, the latest version, has a database function.  I haven't tried it yet.  I'm using the older version.  It is great for ingesting images, renaming images, keywording images (using the Code Replacement system).  For Code replacements, you create a text file (tab delimited).  I use the tail number in the first field and then trhe aircraft description and details in the other fields.  Type in the tail number and PM inserts the full details autmatically.  Saves the two fingers on each hand from entering lots of characters.  It previews RAW imagfes faster than Bridge does JPEG.  It's not subscription.  They don't fix what's not broke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines