• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overwhelming Metadata Preferences

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only need to input a description to work with Indesign captions, keywords (tags), and perhaps a headline. I started under IPTC (IIM, Legacy), and it seems to work, but there are so many options. What are the differences? I found an article in Adobe but it did not include the Attributes section. When I select "Attributes" to show under preferences it does not. I did not take any of these photos. I am organizing them for a client and uploading them into Forever.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IPTC IIM (Legacy) is an older version that goes back to the very early days of embedded metadata. It has limitations, such as maximum character length. You should use IPTC Core. It is the most widely supported metadata standard at this time.

For backward compatibility, Bridge will duplicate metadata entered in to IPTC IIM into IPTC Core which is why you will see your text in both places. Still, you would be better off using IPTC Core. You can read the definitions of the IPTC fields at https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/documentation/userguide/ 

I do not know where the "Attributes" fields display, I can't see them either. I would just ignore them and use IPTC Core.

One thing that makes metadata confusing is the same property, such as <dc:creator>, exists once but it can be displayed in multiple panels. For example, the File Info Panel "Basic" displays <dc:creator> as "Author" while the IPTC panel displays it as "Creator".

The most important thing is to know which standard Forever, or whatever tool/service you are sharing to, can read the metadata you enter. In most cases IPTC Core is suported, but you should test it to be certain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines