• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preference to choose Start Folder

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it that, after 15 years, it is still not possible to specify which folder Bridge should open on startup? It's such an easy preference to provide.

For example, in FastStone Image Viewer, the choices for which folder to open on startup are:

System Default

Last Used
Specified

So how come a free software can do this whereas the mighty Adobe cannot. It is so frustrating.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question.

Bridge is only smart enough to remember where it left off.

It does have the ability to find and open last used.

Excellant suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be scripted if it was something important. Otherwise just make a favorite of your desired folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except the problem is that Bridge reopens at the last folder that was used even if you have a favorite folder assigned.

You have to a useless panel open and then select from your list of favorites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics,

It is very important, actually. If I've been working on a sensitive / confidental project in private, I don't want the images from that project splashed across my screen on startup next time I fire up Bridge, inviting comments like, "Oh wow, they look interesting; what's that you're working on ?" As a result, I'm forced to use two image management systems, all for want of basic logic. I am at a complete loss as to why this option is not available in such (otherwise) sophisticated software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either hardcode a different folder or add a dialog to choose your preferred folder. This just loads the Desktop folder when you quit Bridge so on the next open, it will be on the Desktop.

#target bridge
if(BridgeTalk.appName == 'bridge'){
try{
function appQuit(event){
if(event.location == 'app' && event.type == 'close'){
var thumb = new Thumbnail(Folder('~/Desktop'));
app.document.thumbnail = thumb;
}
return{handled:false};
}
app.eventHandlers.push({handler: appQuit});
}
catch(e){
alert(e + ' ' + e.line);
}
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for that info, much appreciated, but how / where do I do that? I see 'Startup Scripts' in Preferences but I don't see a way to add any new script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's perfect, thank you very much!

I just altered your script to
var thumb = new Thumbnail(Folder('D:/Images'));

and Bridge now opens directly into my Images folder, exactly as I wanted 🙂

I still think Adobe should make this a selectable option in Preferences, as not all Bridge users will be as savvy as you. I'm living proof of that 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are a huge number of feature requests for Bridge, I've submitted dozens myself. Progress is awfully slow... But yes this particular option would be really easy for Adobe to add. I've never thought of needing it. Glad the script works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines