• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove extension with Batch Rename

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I use Batch Rename to remove file extensions? Yes, I'm really sure that I want to do this. The closest I can get is the filename with a leading space.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

And what if Bridge’s Batch Rename tool has been specifically designed to not allow you to do what you want? I wish you all the best in your quest to make Bridge’s Batch Rename tool work as you wish, please post back the answer once you know it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think that Bridge is the right tool for this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I'm looking for an answer. I know EXACTLY what I need to do and why I am using Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Bridge script can do this...

#target bridge  

if( BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge" ) { 

removeEXT = MenuElement.create( "command", "Remove Extensions", "at the end of tools");

}

removeEXT.onSelect = function () {

var thumbs = app.document.selections;

for(var a in thumbs){

var Name = decodeURI(thumbs.spec.name).replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');

thumbs.spec.rename(Name);

}

};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were provided with an answer, however you did not like the answer. Can you post a screenshot of your Batch Rename settings? Your OP was not clear regarding your results. Batch Rename appears to be designed to make it hard (impossible?) to do what you are asking, which is probably why SuperMerlin provided a script alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have the settings handy, they are on my machine at work. And yes, I REALLY REALLY REALLY know EXACTLY what I need to do and why. No, a script won’t work for me. Now please, either provide a specific answer or don’t reply with something off-topic.

I need to use Batch Rename to JUST remove file extensions. Not another tool or script, and not anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And what if Bridge’s Batch Rename tool has been specifically designed to not allow you to do what you want? I wish you all the best in your quest to make Bridge’s Batch Rename tool work as you wish, please post back the answer once you know it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to accomplish by removing the extensions from the files? Long term this will lead to file incompatibility issues. Mac or PC? Both offer the ability to hide the extension in the OS if it's for aesthetics. On mac, even trying to use the features in batch rename that simply show file name or extension, only the extension option works and regex will not touch the extension. If you're on a mac, they introduced batch rename in finder, which can nuke the extension for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines