• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Troubleshooting a batch action executed from Bridge

Participant ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An action I've created that runs well from inside Photoshop is not behaving in the same way (or so it seems) when triggered via Bridge/Tools/Photoshop/Batch. In short, the action processes an image layer through a color fill layer, stepping through 10 blend modes, "merging" each combination to a new layer before proceeding to the next blend. Then, it executes the "Layers to File" script, exporting those ten layers to a specified destination folder, and finally, closes the original file without saving changes to the file. Works as expected and intended inside Photoshop. Triggered from Bridge, it executes the multiple blend mode layers fine, but when it tries to run the "Layers to file" to save to a folder, it stops with a "duplicate image "dialog box. I've tried various options and overrides in the Batch dialog box, but I get a little lost trying to understand what's actually happening. I'm sure it's GIGO, but not sure why. Thoughts?

TOPICS
Batch , Problem or error , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully Lumagraphics will weigh in here.

He deals with this stuff alot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first guess the Layer to File script needs the following line added at the begining of the script.

app.displayDialogs = DialogModes.NO;

Most if not all scripts called from Bridge need this line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, look at the options in the Batch dialog. Its easy to set something that kills your script or action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've got some studying to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks all for your thoughts. SuperMerlin, very sorry to hear of a lot of hospital time. Best wishes for your health. Thanks for contributing.

I have a different approach, somewhat simplified. Not sure if I should start a different thread, but I'll proceed here for now.

Never mind the Bridge aspect. I've rewritten the action described in my original post. I end up with 21 layers, renamed, selected and visible, that I wish to export (as individual files.) Instead of the File/export/layers to file script, I went with Layer/quick export to jpg.  The quick export preferences work properly when applied "manually" after the action runs. (files output to an assets folder in the source folder, properly named for each image I process, as set up in the export preferences dialog.) HOWEVER when "quick export layers to jpg" is included in the action, it wont create new asset folders for new images...it will only overwrite the images in the folder from the original action recording step. Adobe support tells me, after an hour with them onscreen, that this is "expected behavior." My question now, is there a workaround or something I've overlooked, to achieve the exported layers I'd like as part of an action for multiple images? Again, I'm not very knowledgeable about scripting, but maybe I'm overlooking something that might not be too difficult. Happy to post screenshots if helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know you are back after your SIX months inactivity, after you vanished when forum moved to new platform. I thought you probably didn't like new forum look, so you gave up posting? I also didn't notice you in this thread, but on Photoshop Scripting now. Then I got back here to see I missed this post was made by you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have been spending most of the time in hospital so don't get chance to get on the computer as much as I used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to see you back SuperMerlin, take care buddy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines