• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.xmp files suddenly appearing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suddenly getting .xmp files associated with my Nikon Z7 .nef files. This is an issue that started a week or so ago. I was using the Nikon Z7 without any issues for a couple of months before the .xmp files started to appear.

I’m using Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Adobe CC 2019 Bridge, Adobe CC 2019 Photoshop and Camera Raw.

I've checked the memory cards straight from camera in Windows Explorer and the .xmp files do not appear on them so it would seem that this is an Adobe issue rather than anything to do with Nikon.

I have tried altering the settings within Adobe Camera Raw and Adobe Bridge preferences, from Sidecar ".xmp" files to Camera Raw database and surprisingly it makes no difference whatsoever. The .xmp files continue to be created and associated with the .nef files on any new captures. The .xmp files only appear once the images are downloaded to Adobe Bridge and before they are opened in Bridge or opened in Photoshop. This leads me to believe this is an Adobe Bridge issue. If the .nef files are opened directly to Photoshop the .xmp files are not created.

Any help in resolving this issue would be gratefully received.

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want the XMP sidecar files. They store editing information about the RAWs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is the .xmp files I've been getting only store Nikon's built in corrections and my metadata. I can delete these .xmp files and it makes not a jot of difference, Nikon's built in adjustments are still in the .nef files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's where your metadata is stored. You are supposed to get XMP sidecars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines