• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge is STILL removing the file extension when performing Batch Rename

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, I could select files, go to Batch Rename, input my renaming criteria, and the changes would be made without affecting the file extension. However, for quite a while now, I have had to manually add a "new file extension" line to my Batch recipe in order for the files not to drop a file extension completely. See attached images to see what happens when I leave off the appropriate extension in the recipe. 

Nothing I've tried has worked and I've searched various Adobe forums off and on for ages. I just updated to the new 10.1.0.163 Bridge today (that released alongside Photoshop 21.2.0) AND reset my preferences. 

Nothing helps. Any ideas?

Edited to add, this also means the cache has to be rebuilt for all the images.

TOPICS
Batch , Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Hi Carynorton,

Very strange. Since I last wrote I found some nik files from a friend and I've tried with a number of non-raw formats (png, gif, tif, psd) all came back smiling and normal.

Any chance you could try to rebuild Bridge's prefs? It's sort of a catch-all but if you haven't done it recently, it's probably worth trying.

When launching Bridge, Command-Option (Mac)/Control-Alt (Win) + Shift to choose “Reset Preferences”, Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache”, and/or Reset Standard Workspaces

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

I appreciate the effort, and I also hope someone from Adobe sees this. 

Before I switched to Sony's Compressed Raw files I was shooting Uncompressed then converting to DNGs, but I saw no difference in quality if I just shot directly to Compressed, so I abandoned that practice and haven't used DNGs since. I actually don't mind the sidecars though I have considered DNG to eliminate this problem.

I've had this problem in the past with DNGs and really ALL file types. I was just doing some testing to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carynorton,

I've tested this with both Canon raw images and jpgs and I'm not getting this. Can you go to Bridge's Uservoice and register this? It's apparently a bug with your camera's images.

https://adobebridge.uservoice.com

Also, just so you know, when you change the name Bridge will have to recache the images because the link of name to chashe to image needs to be the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply. I have also tried on Canon raw files and any other file you can imagine. I just tried again with CR2 files, just to test, and the issue happens there, too. 

Also, in the past when my image renaming still functioned as it was intended, the cache files reflected the new names and did not re-render. It's only when the filename gets borked in the process and the sync between the file name and the cache files goes out of whack that I've seen any issue. 

At any rate, I will gladly register this issue again at Bridge's Uservoice. I registered this same issue at Uservoice back in January and recieved no replies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carynorton,

Very strange. Since I last wrote I found some nik files from a friend and I've tried with a number of non-raw formats (png, gif, tif, psd) all came back smiling and normal.

Any chance you could try to rebuild Bridge's prefs? It's sort of a catch-all but if you haven't done it recently, it's probably worth trying.

When launching Bridge, Command-Option (Mac)/Control-Alt (Win) + Shift to choose “Reset Preferences”, Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache”, and/or Reset Standard Workspaces”.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have worked! I have reset the preferences countless times and even dumped the cache before, but I guess the Reset Standard Spaces did the trick. Either way, I did them all and now renaming seems back to normal for the moment. Thanks, gary_sc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great news, the fallback solution worked!

I'd be very grateful if you tapped the "Correct Answer" for me. What this does is to help others who have the same problem as it leads them to solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, now it's broken again. I've reset the preferences, purged cache, and reset spaces AGAIN and this time it didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions?

I've tried resetting a couple of times and it is still losing the file extension every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone from @Adobe take this serious and submit this as a bug. It's a real issue, I just spent 3 hours processing my photos only to have the side car disconnected after renaming my files, losing my extension, adding it back on with batch rename but the side car for whatever reason fell off. Super frustrating. Please don't tell me it isn't happening, this version is completely updated and it's an issue. There is a bug, write it down submit it for this sprint and please fix it. So frustrating.

Please provide a way to reconnect the sidecars. 
Please provide a way to reestablish the extension.
Please don't ask me to show the problem you know it exists fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate that this is happening to you too, but at least I know I'm not crazy. This is really maddening and has been happening to be for several versions. Hey @gary_sc, any thoughts?

not sure if this thread is being seen. Wonder if it's worth doing yet another thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@carynorton wrote:

Wonder if it's worth doing yet another thread. 

Rather than raising a discussion post, raise a bug post. You will need to provide clear instructions to reproduce the issue, before and after screenshots, an explanation of what you expect vs. what you get etc. It may also help to show the result both in Bridge and in the Mac Finder or Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me. Hours of work editing then renamed and lost all my tweaking. Can't find a answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@veronica252309256tfg wrote:

Same thing happened to me. Hours of work editing then renamed and lost all my tweaking. Can't find a answer.

Did you check the box to preserve filename in xmp metadata?

Can you show an example of the messed up filenames and what they should be to restore them back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying again to the original post. This issue was fixed once and only once by resetting things as suggested by gary_sc. This issue is STILL happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cary,

Trust me, I'm digging. I'm also hoping that someone from Adobe sees this.

Meanwhile I did think of one thing to prevent the disconnect of the sidecar files from the original files. Have you ever converted your images into DNGs? 

For most people this is a complete option. I do chose to do this because of a number of the advantages, others do not chose to do this because of concern of not being as good as the original raw file. FWIW, I've not found that to be evident in the 14 years I've been doing the converting.

However, for you this might be a way to keep the data of the sidecar file associated with the raw file becuase, amongst other things, the DNG format is a container file and the sidecar data is contained within the DNG format. Think of them like little folders.

I'd also be curious as to whether this format would not lose the file extension.

Let me know, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the effort, and I also hope someone from Adobe sees this. 

Before I switched to Sony's Compressed Raw files I was shooting Uncompressed then converting to DNGs, but I saw no difference in quality if I just shot directly to Compressed, so I abandoned that practice and haven't used DNGs since. I actually don't mind the sidecars though I have considered DNG to eliminate this problem.

I've had this problem in the past with DNGs and really ALL file types. I was just doing some testing to try to capture a screen recording to show exactly what's happening and I couldn't get the problem to happen—like when you take your care in to the mechanic, right? 

In this testing I found a couple of things. When I coudln't get the problem to present itself, I was simplying renaming "Testing_" with a number sequence after that text, and NO New Extension line. It worked great. On DNGs, CR2s, ARWs. BUT THEN! I realized my normal file system, which is loosely based off the old Magnum negative system, has a lot of periods in it. For example, 2020.30.7R3.0001 (that works out to one line for the "2020.30.7R3." and another line for the Sequence number). So I tested again, and added a couple of extra Periods in my text string. BINGO. Not only did it fail, but it borked Bridge all together. I had to Force Quit it and reopen. I also dragged in the window so you could see the mess it leaves the file names in when it crashes. I tried it again with _ instead of . (underscores instead of periods) and it worked flawlessly. ie testing_testing_test_ [number sequence]. No problem at all. I tried again and replaced ONLY the first _ with a . to read "testing.testing_testing_" and it froze Bridge AGAIN. I guess I'm on underscores in my filenames until Adobe fixes this bug. 

I have a video of this happening if it is needed (there's no way to attach the video directly to this reply). 

I reported both recent crashes to Adobe via the Crash Reporter with detailed descriptions to recreate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cary,

Aaaccchhhhh! Periods. I didn't even think to ask about what your naming construction was/is. 

Yeah, that very well could be the problem but not so much from Bridge but from the OS (PC or MAC. Certain characters are not allowed, the slash is another big one ("/") as it means "next folder/drive down." 

In FileMaker (a database application), you can't have names with hyphens in them. I get around that by using "n" dashes instead of hyphen (Opton--), normally used to connect a range,  like "I've seen this 4–6 times per day" (As opposed to "I've seen this 4-6 times per day." The n-dash is a tad wider than an hypen.

What I'm getting at is that this may very well not be something that Adobe can do anything about. Any more than slashes in names or hyphens in FileMaker names.

But hyphens, "n" dashes "m" dashes (Shift-Option--), underscores, etc. are all fine and you may need to rely upon them. Hopefully someone at Adobe can verify this as far as renames within Bridge are concerned.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely understand your point and I've run into similar such problems at different points with other things, but never Bridge for this issue. This naming convention has been what I've used for a Decade and I've never had a problem until whatever update came out mid-to-late 2019. I posted here first about this problem in Jan of this year. So if it's a problem now, it is due to some sort of programming change. This file convention has worked through multiple OS upgrades and Photoshop/Bridge versions. Also, just to note it, I haven't updated my macOS in a while—certainly way before this issue popped up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood and thanks for the extra info. If Adobe runs through this thread (and they should), it will add to the info that they need.

It's possible (and I say this only by guessing, I have no knowledge) that there was some update/change within Bridge to not accept the period and/or a change for one thing that caused this as a side-affect. [Note: this is why some seemingly small bugs are not repaired becasue to do so would cause a whole bunch of other bad things to happen.] That said, it's possible that the ability to use so many periods in a name might have been causing other problems and in fixing them, caused your problem. 

Suffice it to say that I think it wise to forgo the excess periods, at least until more is learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's hoping they see it! Thanks for your persistence. 

There's a chance I'll switch to underscores, but more than likely I'll switch to renaming before I open the folder in Bridge. "A Better Finder Rename" is a great app for doing just this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, BFR is a Great app.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines