• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to recover my lost keywords in Bridge

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden my list of keywords has disappeared from the Keyword panel in Bridge and replaced by a standard set of Keywords. How do I get my old list of keywords back?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Check in your user Library->Application Support->Adobe->Adobe Bridge 2019 folder to see if the custom keywords list is there. If its gone, you would need to restore from a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system and what version of Bridge? Did you make any changes prior to this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5.

Bridge cc2019 version prior to today's update version 9.1.0.338.

I did not make any changes prior to the disappearing of the keywords list.

Can you help?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check in your user Library->Application Support->Adobe->Adobe Bridge 2019 folder to see if the custom keywords list is there. If its gone, you would need to restore from a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked. I was able to restore last weeks keywords XML file from my back-up.

Thank you for your help with this, much appreciated.

Regards

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific about the path? there is no such  path on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac OS, the location of the Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml will be similar to:

/Users/loggedinusername/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Bridge CC 2015/Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml

Mac users should simply replace “loggedinusername” and “Bridge CC 2015” with the appropriate user name and version of Bridge.

On MS Windows, the path to the Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml will be similar to:

C:\Users\Loggedinusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CC 2015\Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml

MS Windows users should replace the “Loggedinusername” and “Bridge CC 2015” with the appropriate user name and version of Bridge. It should be noted that the AppData directory may be a hidden folder for some users.

Prepression: Bridge – Restoring a Lost Keyword XML File

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could find the file when I search via windows explorer. However, it is not available as an option when I go to the keyword flyout menu and choose 'import'. In addition, the file was 1 kb in size. I don't know if this is the file size you would expect for a large collection (hundreds) of keywords, or if my real file is really lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Keywords panel import/export feature is designed to work with "simple" tab-delimited text files (as created by the export feature of Bridge or Lightroom). Once imported into Bridge, a "more-complex" XML text file is created by Bridge and stored in the appropriate location. Therefore it is not possible to import the XML file, this file can only be placed in the appropriate directory/folder.

You would need to find the file in a backup or perhaps an older version folder. If the Bridge interface is empty, then the matching XML file would be empty too.

Just as it is best practice to manually save action .atn files in Photoshop rather than relying on the underlying .psp file, the same goes for keywords – manually export them rather than relying on the underlying XML file.

If the XML file is lost and there are no backups or older versions, then the only option would appear to be to start fresh or to use Bridge Scripts or ExifTool to export out keywords from existing files and format them for importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script below will read keywords from files and write them to a text file that can be directly imported into Bridge. Duplicate keyword entries are ignored on import.

Three caveats:

1. If you have nested hierarchical keywords, you will need to edit the generated text file and add an extra tab in front of those keywords.

Example:
Bird | Raptor | Hawk

Exported keyword file would be
Bird
<tab>Raptor

<tab><tab>Hawk

My generated file would be
Bird

<tab>Raptor

<tab>Hawk

Which would result in

Bird | Raptor

Bird | Hawk

2. I have the hierarchical delimiter hardcoded as "|" so if your files use a different delimiter, edit Line 60.

3. The generated filename is hardcoded to ~/Desktop/kw.txt

Anyone is welcome to further develop this script per the license to fix those issues.

----------------------------------------

/*

Utility Pack Scripts created by David M. Converse ©2018-19

Read keywords from files and save to file for import into Bridge

Last modified 7/22/2019

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");

you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.

You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software

distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,

WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.

See the License for the specific language governing permissions and

limitations under the License.

*/

#target bridge

if(BridgeTalk.appName == 'bridge'){

try{

var kwCap = MenuElement.create('command', 'Keyword Capture', 'at the end of Tools');

kwCap.onSelect = function(){

var kwList = app.document.selections;

var i = 0;

var j = 1;

var k = 1;

var kw_clean = []; //optimized keywords array

var kw_line = '';

var kwCapLogFile = File('~/Desktop/kw.txt'); //file to write list to

kwCapLogFile.open('w:');

if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined)  ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject('lib:AdobeXMPScript');

for(i = 0; i < kwList.length; i++){ //loop through selected files

if(kwList.hasMetadata){ //only process files with metadata

k = 1;

kw_clean = [];

//XMP stores keywords in three namespaces. We don't process the Microsoft keyword namespace.

var kw = kwList.synchronousMetadata.read(XMPConst.NS_DC, 'subject').toString();

var lrkw = kwList.synchronousMetadata.read('http://ns.adobe.com/lightroom/1.0/', 'hierarchicalSubject').toString();

if(kw != '' || lrkw != ''){ //at least one namespace has keywords

kw = kw.split(','); //make arrays out of keyword string

lrkw = lrkw.split(',');

kw = kw.concat(lrkw); //place all keywords in one array and sort

kw.sort();

if(kw[0] != ''){

kw_clean[0] = kw[0];

}

else{ //flag empty keywords

k = 0;

}

for(j = 1; j < kw.length; j++){ //eliminate duplicates and write into new array

if(kw[(j - 1)] != kw && kw != ''){

kw_clean = kw;

k++;

}

}

for(j = 0; j < kw_clean.length; j++){ //write optimized list of keywords to file

kw_clean = kw_clean.replace(/\|/g, '\r\t'); //convert hierarchical keywords - change delimiter as required

if(kw_line != ''){

kw_line = kw_line + '\r' + kw_clean; //write each keyword to a new line

}

else{ //first line for file, don't add extra return

kw_line = kw_clean;

}

}

kwCapLogFile.writeln(kw_line); //write to file

kw_line = ''; //reset for next file

}

}

}

kwCapLogFile.close();

alert('Keyword capture completed');

}

}

catch(e){

alert(e + e.line);

}

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, David! I'm yet to test however, I'm sure it will be more streamlined and easier for most than the previous suggestions of using a general metadata export script or ExifTool to create the keyword output file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could definitely use the rough edges smoothed out (add the other legal delimiters, add the additional tab characters, let the user choose the output file.) But its easy- select files, run the script, import the kw.txt file.

Since I based this on my Keyword Optimizer script, this reads all the keywords in both dc and lr namespaces (there is a bug where those can get out of sync.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that path doesn't exist for me. I do, however, find a keyword file at this location:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CC 2019\Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I did state:

MS Windows users should replace the “Loggedinusername” and “Bridge CC 2015” with the appropriate user name and version of Bridge. It should be noted that the AppData directory may be a hidden folder for some users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this has come up many times in the past. There is a rather convoluted method to retrieve keywords from images and write them to a text file, then format the text file appropriately for importing back into Bridge. This is an 'easy' process, however, many users in this situation decide to rebuild from scratch rather than use this alternative. It probably depends on how many keywords one has and if they are flat hierarchical. Once going to the trouble of rebuilding the keywords list, I would then setup an explicit backup routine for this XML file and get in the habit of periodically performing a manual save/export from the keywords panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen, I was able to restore the xml file from my back-up. Problem solved for now. It is still unclear to me how the file got lost and replaced by the standard keywords list. Is Adobe working on solving this issue?

Regards, Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why wouldn't bridge automatically find the keywords in the metadata and list them in the keyword panel? It took me over a month to keyword 30,000 pictures in bridge already. I uninstalled it and recently installed it again, but the keywords do not show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realized I've lost all my years of keywording. I really dislike being stuck with Adobe products. The automatic feature of deleting all old versions was turned on when I did my last re-install and everything is gone. My own fault for not backing up everything before the automatic update kicked in. I am rapidly becoming ready for...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to migrate your preferences from the older version. Read up to find the path to where your old keywords file is stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, I've lost my keywords as well, I 've read this thread, I've found back an older version of my Abode Bridge Keywords.xml file, BUT, Bridge don't want to import it 😕 

It drives me crazy ...Does anyone has a solution ? 

Thank you soooo much in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Keywords panel import/export feature is designed to work with "simple" tab-delimited text files (as created by the export feature of Bridge or Lightroom). Once imported into Bridge, a "more-complex" XML text file is created by Bridge and stored in the appropriate location. Therefore it is not possible to import the XML file, this file can only be placed in the appropriate directory/folder as previously noted in the topic thread.

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2016/11/bridge-restoring-lost-keyword-xml-file.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Stephen thank you very much!

That's right, I've seen your message previoulsy, but I'am french speaking and I didin't get that it was answering my exact problem 😉

It looks like a real geek deal, not sure I can run it the right way but i'll try !! ^^

still...THANK YOU SO MUCH 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus, I want to restore informations from an XML file, not from a picture file as it's explained there..as I don't have all my kewords hierarchy in a picture's source, but only in this xml file...

well I go back to your link and try to see if there any relevant intructions for this case  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a valid Bridge keyword XML file, then all that you need to do is quit Bridge, drop the XML into the correct folder and restart Bridge.

Editing the XML file to create an importable text file is a last resort option, if the XML file is somehow unexpectedly broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like it is broken, yes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines