• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Not Recognizing Bridge Keywords

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to use Windows File Explorer to search for images with a keyword assigned in Bridge. The only images that are coming up are .tif files. I see that the keywords are showing up as "tags" on the tif files, but the other file formats don't have any tags. How can I make the OS recognize the keywords?

TOPICS
How to , Keywords , Metadata

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file formats are not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.psd and .png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add keywords in Windows Explorer can you see them in Bridge? Are you using the Keyword panel in Bridge to add these keywords?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use the Keywords panel in Bridge. PSDs and PNGs don't have a field to add keywords in File Explorer. For JPGs, I can add keywords (tags in File Explorer) and they show up as keywords in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSDs and PNGs don't have a field to add keywords in File Explorer.

That sounds like a clue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,

Is that a Windows thing? On the Mac they do have fields for keywords and they do take Bridge's assigned keywords. Here's two screenshots, one is a psd and one is a png, both have my "test" keyword of "fred." Both are "findable" via Bridge.

2020-06-19_18-02-05.png2020-06-19_18-03-09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Gary, this is a limitation of Windows File Explorer, here a PSD is compared to the JPEG, the JPEG offers a lot more information. The keyword and other metadata exist in the source PSD file, the JPEG is a derivative file:

props.png

Here you can see that ExifTool on Windows does not have this same limitation, which is a software limitation in File Explorer:

exiftool.png

This is one reason why Adobe Bridge exists in the first place, independent of the Mac's Finder being more capable when it comes to metadata.

P.S. A more capable search tool in Windows can pickup file content, including keyword/subject metadata:

https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting info Stephen, thanks.

For the record, what I was showing in my screenshots was the Info window from Bridge. Below is what you see from within a section of the Finder's Get Info window.  The one on the right is the PNG, It has the Last Opened field because it was opened and then saved as a PSD for this demo. If an item hasn't been saved beyond it's creation time, that field doesn't show up. (The Created and Modified fields are in a different section.)

Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time.

2020-06-20_08-51-27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT USE FILE INFO TO ADD KEYWORDS.

There is a bug in Photoshop and Bridge where they do not write to the file correctly in some situations. ONLY use the keyword panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

You are reading too much into that screenshot. Stephen had shown me a photo of the keyword location from Explorer and I was doing the same with Finder. To be honest, I do not know how to apply keywords to an image outside of any keyword panel.

Ha! I'm saved by my ignorance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comments everyone. I did submit feedback to Windows that I think this would be a helpful feature to have built-in to File Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you think would be a helpful feature in File Explorer, feel free to upvote my suggestion here: https://aka.ms/AA8rvwp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines