• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Artefacts when using shadows, clarity and image warp (lens corrections)

Enthusiast ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make this into an "official" problem: There are strange artefacts when using shadows, clarity and image warp (lens corrections).

Details here:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/997568...
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/995958...

Also applies to ACR 6.7 final, which shows the same artefacts for LR-images edited in Photoshop (rendering using photoshop's ACR).

P.S. May be related to http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh... but I think they are two different/distinct problems (however, both seem to be introduced with changes in clarity in RC2).

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
40 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting and it looks like Adobe has already acknowledged this as a problem.

I'll add that the artifacts appear to be caused by aliasing of the adjustment layer masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adjustment Layer Masks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a guess. I was referring to the layer masks LR's rendering engine creates internally to apply the user adjustment settings to the raw image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what Todd Shaner means is that it looks like if Lightroom calculates some internal (!) masks for shadows and clarity, and that these masks are not correctly scaled and/or transformed along the different kinds of lens warp.

Of course, we normally don't see those masks.

EDIT: Sorry, somehow I did not see the answer from Todd Shaner above this post. So my post is redundant 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Statements like that could give users the wrong idea about Lightroom's feature set. To be clear: There are no Layers nor Layer masks in Lightroom. There may be mechanisms that can be described analogously in that manner.

If the furor the Kelby group and onOne had to deal with regarding the marketing of Perfect Layers is any indication, we want to avoid imprecise descriptions that can be confused by the user base.

Just my opinion of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this caused any confusion. My feedback was intended primarily for the Adobe LR engineering team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for fun: A ridiculous application of LRTimelapse and GIF animation:

Click on preview to see the animation (1 MB). Lens correction -> manual -> rotation varies between 0...2.5 (100% crop, shadows and clarity at +100).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My link is referenced in the original post of this thread and just to be clear about the issue I have observed:

"When" the Lens Correction Panel is enabled (including the "Color" tab) - AND when I apply Clarity - I get major peculiar artifacts tot he right of my moon shot.

When Lens Corrections are Not Enabled - I can have Clarity set to 100 - and I see Zero Artifacts, nor do I discern any weird results.

"When" I have Clarity set to "0" with Lens Corrections Enabled - I get major purple fringing and other color anomalies.

(Thus - originally I assumed it was a "Clarity" slider issue - as the title indicates - but in fact in my case it is distinctly a Lens Correction issue (when using the Clarity slider)

I can provide a Tiff and my Lr4 catalog to Becky or any Adobe staff at their asking.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: ACR 7.1 RC has the same bug.

P.S. Why is this problem marked "solved" now? All latest PV2012-capable ACR variants still have this bug: ACR 6.7 final for CS5, ACR 7.1 of LR 4.1 RC2 and ACR 7.1 RC for CS6 (don't know about ACR 6.7 final for PSE/PRE, though). Or does it just mean "internally solved", i.e. bug was found+fixed, but did not make it into an update yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange... with clarity and shadows set to zero, I have never seen any problems with lens correction warp. But perhaps there are other settings that will show similar artefacts together with warping. Hopefully, they will all be fixed in the next LR/ACR versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

may be solved in the Lr4.1 final....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Yes, now the "solved" makes sense 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2012 May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered a bug in LR 4.1 RC2. When working on a very contrasty image where extreme 'Highlights' reduction and 'Shadows' boosting are required, a strange kind of haloing appears along the edges of dark objects which border on a light background. As landscape photographer, I've found this happening along the edges of dark tree bark adjacent to a background of light sky. What makes this behavior even more puzzling is that by disabling 'Lens Corrections', the halos go away! I can not duplicate this behavior with LR 4.0. It only happens with the RC2 version of LR 4.1. What a shame! I find the new color fringe correction tools a major improvement! Thank you for any help you may offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now you can set the 'Lens Corrections' Distortion and Transform controls to '0' prevents this issue and allows using all of the other controls, including the new Defringe Color tools. The 'Crop Overlay' Angle tool can also be used if you need to rotate the image. This should be helpful with landscape images, but obviously not a perfect solution for all images.

This bug will be fixed in the LR4.1 final release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, Todd, I hadn't used any of the Transform controls; they were all set to '0'. And yet, I still got this strange haloing. The only items which were activated were 'Enable Profile Corrections' and 'Remove Chromatic Aberration'. The problem seems to be more complicated than I imagined. I hope the bug will be fixed in the LR 4.1 final release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Profile-based or manual — this does'n matter. Any geometric transformations trigger the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only items which were activated were 'Enable Profile Corrections' and 'Remove Chromatic Aberration'.

This is why I said you must also set the Lens Profile "Distortion" amount to '0.' You can then update the Lens Profile by clicking on 'Setup' (under Enable Profile Corections checkbox) and select 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults.' You will need to do this for each lens type and you can always change it back later.

I personally set all my lens profile defaults to '0' Distortion and only use it when there is visible barrel or pincushion distortion in the image. Wide angle zoom lenses typically have some barrel distortion and correction will cause the image periphery to become elongated and cropped. I actually prefer the look without distortion correction, especially for ultra wide angle landscape shots.Try both 100% and then 0% Distortion settings with one of your wide angle landscape images to see what I'm talking about.

Once you do this you should not see the haloing artifacts. Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! The haloing is gone! Thank you for the work around! Though I don't really wish to do without distortion correction as a default setting, your suggestion is certainly a simple solution until the bug is corrected. At least I now have access to the other correction controls (including the new defringe controls!). Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very faint and "thin" version of the artefacts can be seen when no lens correction is applied at all. It can be seen most clearly at high contrast edges.

Here is an example (100% crop from a larger picture):

Image #1: Adobe defaults, no manual or profile lens corrections, no clarity.
Image #2: Plus clarity +100, you can see the faint "thin" artefacts already
Image #3: Plus manual lens correction rotation +0.1, the artefacts become "full-blown"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a limitation of Clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be... but the artefacts in the second image look "funny". They art not halos or the like, but "jagged" structures with alternating dark and light lines in one-pixel intervals. That is not the artefact I would expect from a clarity limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the same artifacts, but it only appears where there is chromatic aberration and/or fringing present in the image. It looks like Clarity is being applied to the image prior to CA and/or Defringe removal, because you can still see it with these two tools enabled. The high Clarity setting to seems to amplify the CA.

I sure hope the fix for the original problem will remove or at least reduce this artifact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Applying lens profile corrections is producing very strange artifacts on some hard contrasty edges

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4.1RC2 (Process version 2012)
As above, but there's more going on than just Lens Correction. Using just the Basic Panel for adjustments (everything else zeroed) there is still this hard edge high contrast artifact. Lens Correction certainly dramatically adds to the effect.

Adjust a photo using Process version 2010 then select Process version 2012
(Camera Calibration Panel.) Compare the high contrast edges in the same adjusted photo with Process version 2012 and Process version 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate