Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 raw/DNG Files

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 RAW DNG Files in Ps, Lr
Classic and Lr Products Affected: Photoshop CC 2019 ACR, Lightroom CC Classic2019, Lightroom CC 2019, Lightroom CC for Mobile (Android)

Description: DNG RAW Photos from the Samsung Galaxy S7exhibit artifacts at one edge after importation or opening in the affectedproducts. The artifact may be solid black or a random set of colors. It alwaysoccurs in a straight strip along one edge of the images. In Lightroom CCClassic it occurs in both Library and Develop modules and sometimes shows up inthe thumbnails on the filmstrip. Sometimes the artifact will not appear inLibrary but will appear there after going to Develop and back.

Associated Files:

Two affected DNG RAW files from the Galaxy S7, along with ascreen shot showing a typical artifact marked with an arrow are at:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/73bvkcoxwlmqy7u/AADr1DOYXYzMzA-ad6_FPxeNa?dl=0

Reproduction:

1. Take a photo in RAW with the Samsung Galaxy S7.

2. Copy the photo to a computer via USB.

3. Import to or open the photo in one of the affectedproducts. Observe that the artifact strip appears at one edge of the photo.

Alternately

1. Take a photo in RAW on Galaxy S7,

2. Import the RAW photo into Lightroom CC Mobile

3. Observe the artifact at one edge of the image. Note: theartifact is thin, so it may be hard to see. The artifact isn’t always seen onmobile. If it doesn’t appear, try going back to the library view and openingthe photo once again.

Workaround within the Products: None. The only recourse isto either crop out the artifact strip or to convert the DNG to TIFF andreimport the TIFF to the Adobe product. Cropping out the artifact strip is nota trusted workaround, because the artifact strip might reappear in the future,despite the crop.

What Has Been Tried/Previous History:

1. DNG photos from two different Samsung Galaxy s7smartphones have been imported or opened, with the same result.

2. About 15 photos have been opened. All exhibit the same result.

3. The DNG photos open normally within Skylum Luminar,Powerlink Media Player for Dell, Android Gallery on Samsung S7 and GooglePhotos without exhibiting these artifacts or any other artifacts.

4. The artifacts appear in Lightroom CC Classis 2019 on bothone desktop and one laptop computer.

5. I cannot say for sure, but I do not believe this problemoccurred prior to Lightroom CC Classic 2019, because I would have seen theartifacts while editing these images in Develop. I don’t remember seeing themon the prior version.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018
Updates to the Lightroom CC Ecosystem and Lightroom Classic CC were released earlier today. Please update your software and let us know if you are still experiencing this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LO again,
Forced to upgrade to version 8.0 (use the Cards module), and also have to do a little work on the S7, with the understanding that it is not possible to make two versions live together via "Adobe Creative Cloud", I tried an ugly hack (works on Windows 10):
Quit LR. Rename folder "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC" to "Adobe Lightroom Classic CC Last". Install version 7.5. Rename each folder "as it should" allows to launch choice of version 8.0 or version 7.5.
I then repeated the operation in the other direction so that the last version is "the official one".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated to LR Classic 8.1, Camera Raw 11.1, and LR Android CC v4.1.

I've taken a couple of photos in Pro mode on the Note 9, added the DNGs to LR and there does not appear to be any fringing.

I notice that profile for the Note 9 is listed as being added to this version of ACR so that might include a fix? I'll keep monitoring but thought I'd see if anyone else has seen improvement.

Richard 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Richard, I can confirm. After updating to LR Classic 8.1 en Camera Raw 11.1 my  Galaxy S7 dng-files are rendered without the fringing. As far as I can see now, that goes for the old and new photos.

Seems like the problems are solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to the Lightroom CC Ecosystem and Lightroom Classic CC were released earlier today. Please update your software and let us know if you are still experiencing this issue. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I just stated, Rikk, problem seems to be solved after this update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirm for Galaxy S8 plus - after update to LR 8.1 and Camera RAW 11.1 artifacts are no longer appearing. Thanks, Adobe! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem resolved for S7 DNG files as well. It took quite long, but goooood job Adobe! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked some of the pictures on which I had seen the artifact on the following products: Lr mobile, Lr, Lr Classic and Ps. Like the others who posted I've seen no more artifacts, so Adobe's fix appears successful! Thank you! One note:

When I first looked at some of the previously-affected images in Lr Classic Library, I did still see the artifact. However, when I switched to Develop, the artifact was not there. Switching back to Library, it was there. To get rid of it was simple: switch to Develop, then either do a Reset (if you don't care about previous adjustments) or do a small change (increase a slider by +1, for instance). After that, switching back to Library, the artifact is then gone. Perhaps the images that do this were changed in develop while the artifact was present, and the artifact carried into the catalog or the .xmp. At any rate, it is easy to eliminate in the new version.

Along these lines one thing I'd really like to be able to do is to wipe Adobe's .xmp data from any file type that accommodates embedded .xmp data, for example, .dng, .tif . There are times when I might want to "reset the file to zero". If anyone from Adobe can explain if this is possible and how to do it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Adobe - looks as if the current artifact problem is fixed now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> one thing I'd really like to be able to do is to wipe Adobe's .xmp data from any file type that accommodates embedded .xmp data, for example, .dng, .tif . There are times when I might want to "reset the file to zero".

Resetting the edits and then saving the metadata to the file (Metadata menu > Write Metadata to Files) should do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears to be fixed for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I think that it is much  easier (and faster) to regenerate previews.

Go to Library module, check all samsung DNGs on the grid or filmstrip and perform from the top menu:
1. Library -> Previews -> Discard 1:1 Previews, then
2. Library -> Previews -> Build 1:1 Previews.

Should be all good without playing with adjustments 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate