Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 raw/DNG Files

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 RAW DNG Files in Ps, Lr
Classic and Lr Products Affected: Photoshop CC 2019 ACR, Lightroom CC Classic2019, Lightroom CC 2019, Lightroom CC for Mobile (Android)

Description: DNG RAW Photos from the Samsung Galaxy S7exhibit artifacts at one edge after importation or opening in the affectedproducts. The artifact may be solid black or a random set of colors. It alwaysoccurs in a straight strip along one edge of the images. In Lightroom CCClassic it occurs in both Library and Develop modules and sometimes shows up inthe thumbnails on the filmstrip. Sometimes the artifact will not appear inLibrary but will appear there after going to Develop and back.

Associated Files:

Two affected DNG RAW files from the Galaxy S7, along with ascreen shot showing a typical artifact marked with an arrow are at:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/73bvkcoxwlmqy7u/AADr1DOYXYzMzA-ad6_FPxeNa?dl=0

Reproduction:

1. Take a photo in RAW with the Samsung Galaxy S7.

2. Copy the photo to a computer via USB.

3. Import to or open the photo in one of the affectedproducts. Observe that the artifact strip appears at one edge of the photo.

Alternately

1. Take a photo in RAW on Galaxy S7,

2. Import the RAW photo into Lightroom CC Mobile

3. Observe the artifact at one edge of the image. Note: theartifact is thin, so it may be hard to see. The artifact isn’t always seen onmobile. If it doesn’t appear, try going back to the library view and openingthe photo once again.

Workaround within the Products: None. The only recourse isto either crop out the artifact strip or to convert the DNG to TIFF andreimport the TIFF to the Adobe product. Cropping out the artifact strip is nota trusted workaround, because the artifact strip might reappear in the future,despite the crop.

What Has Been Tried/Previous History:

1. DNG photos from two different Samsung Galaxy s7smartphones have been imported or opened, with the same result.

2. About 15 photos have been opened. All exhibit the same result.

3. The DNG photos open normally within Skylum Luminar,Powerlink Media Player for Dell, Android Gallery on Samsung S7 and GooglePhotos without exhibiting these artifacts or any other artifacts.

4. The artifacts appear in Lightroom CC Classis 2019 on bothone desktop and one laptop computer.

5. I cannot say for sure, but I do not believe this problemoccurred prior to Lightroom CC Classic 2019, because I would have seen theartifacts while editing these images in Develop. I don’t remember seeing themon the prior version.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018
Updates to the Lightroom CC Ecosystem and Lightroom Classic CC were released earlier today. Please update your software and let us know if you are still experiencing this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that I forgot to mention is that I did try shutting down use of the graphics card. This had no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNGs you've posted have already been "touched" by LR 8.  It might be useful to have S7 DNGs directly from the camera, in case something in LR is messing things up.

Both RawTherapee and RawDigger show no corruption along the left edge so the artifacts don't appear to be from bad pixels in the DNGs.

The righthand side of the image has the same pixels in RawDigger as it has in LR; however, there is no detail close the edge at the left to see if the image pixels are messed up or if Adobe is including extra image pixels.  Do you have a shot where some image detail intersects the left edge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported both files into LR7.5 on my desktop (Win7) and there are no artifacts on the left edge.
Then imported same files into LR8.0 on my laptop (Win10) and the same artifacts as you have shown in your other forum post do appear.

So it looks like newer LR8.0 is processing these DNG files differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve and Bruce. The results so far are exactly what I would have expected, particularly the previous Lr version showing no artifacts.

I posted four new images in the same dropbox area. Each image has a version that is direct from the smartphone and not touched by an Adobe product. The other version was imported into Lightroom. Each version is labelled as to its status. I brought the "Imported into Lightroom 2019" versions into Loupe view in 2019 Classic Library to see the artifact was there. I then entered Develop, made no adjustments, and went back to Library. These photos should have enough details on all sides to make a good analysis, but if not, let me know, and I'll shoot some more during the day.

Please let me know what you find and if it looks like a bug, where we go from here.

Thanks, Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just popped in to confirm your problems, Jeff. I have two Galaxy S7 and just updated my Adobe products. No problems before. Now all imported and opened DNG files have the same problem as yours. And no, I don't copy the photos from my S7 to my HD with Lightroom. I do that with Windows Explorer. No damage in the copied files. Checked that with RAWTherapee. But all imported files have the same artifacts on one of the long sides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Anton. This further confirms the issue and that it seems to have started in the recent upgrade. We'll know more when the champions and possibly Adobe weigh in. As to a workaround, the only one I can think of is to convert the .dng's to .tif. So far I've seen no problem with .tif in Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Jeff. One question. What's your best advise for converting the dng's to tif? As we can't use LR or PS at the moment? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in process of looking for a solution to doing dng->tif en-masse to work around this situation, since I've got several hundred. I thought of irfanview, but as far as I can tell, it won't do dng. Luckily I've shot RAW+jpeg, so can fall back on jpeg's if absolutely necessary. If I'm able to find a tif solution I'll report back. One possibility is Luminar's upcoming equivalent of the Lr Library, scheduled in Dec. If a number of photos can be selected and exported, that might work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming this is a bug, can someone (perhaps a champion or Adobe) please let us know how quickly we might expect a patch or other solution for this issue? If it is going to be awhile, I'll be pursuing a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for reporting this. I can also see the same artefact on importing your images.

I have logged a bug for the team, and we will be investigating a fix for this issue in an upcoming update.

Thanks again, and appreciate your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,
My experience: the bug is related to the heart ACR 11, both ACR alone, LR and Android. I tested by temporarily manually installing the penultimate version of ACR. Of course it affects the old DNG if we install the latest updates, both under PS, Bridge, LR. The easiest thing for me to do was to downgrade LR in version 7.5, and not use ACR directly nor application for S7 DNGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here, experienced on 2 different computers. Only S7 files are affected and only in LR CC.
Sometimes the whole image is covered in purple haze, sometimes the purple disappears a few seconds after loading the image in Develop module, sometimes it appears a few seconds after loading the image in Develop module.
The files are 100% ok, since they open fine Ptotoshop CC (the purple strip is only visible for a second or two in camera raw window).

RackMultipart20181026795561wyn-fb117d48-13cc-436c-b90c-9db3251a1c62-1749688364.png
RackMultipart20181026703011ek6-f94e5a97-adfe-4c22-b917-98e2c4c763af-1301207462.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the Note 8 and can confiurm that I am also having the same issue with all of my DNGs

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happening to me to. Galaxy S8+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too - Galaxy S8+
Color strip at the bottom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on when this can be fixed?
Or a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Galaxy S8. Purple color artifacts along the bottom edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same problem with Galaxy S8+ DNG files. I have a detailed posting about this problem on Adobe Forums and someone directed me to here and asked to add my details.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10768287

Comparison of in-camera JPG on left, with raw DNG file on right opened in LR.  Note the bottom row of corrupt pixels in pink/black/grey patterns.

RackMultipart201811251162851rs-e7e4b80c-dd24-43c8-be94-feec086902d0-11843417.PNG

And this is what the DNG File looks like when exported to JPG (100% crop):

RackMultipart2018112530853jn85-8af16c0e-e7ae-459c-b229-63612d59b386-438452375.PNG

When the same DNG file is opened in RawTherapee there is no corruption:

RackMultipart20181125183041cil-c70d34d4-c1c5-4e92-aa48-8ffea1c069ea-258279431.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm I have been seeing the same thing as well with ACR 11 and both Photoshop/Lightroom CC 2019.  Files tested were raw DNG's from Samsung Galaxy S8.  Artifacts only appear on long axis of the image.  Files previously processed by ACR 10 and Photoshop/Lightroom CC 2018 that are opened in the new release now show the problem when before there were no artifacts.   This was tested on various images from earlier in the year (prior to 2019's release).  Tested S8 DNG images on a NAS, on external drive, and stored locally and no change in behavior; all exhibit same artifact.  

Only change when disabling graphics card is the row of pixels becomes a black row instead of exhibiting various colors.  Image data is still missing from the edge of the file, just is filled in differently with graphics card enabled or disabled.

As another test step, opened up the images (old and new) on laptop (still running ACR 10.5/CC 2018) after they were touched by the 2019 release and everything still opens fine; no edge artifacts are observed in this release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just noticed that the DNG files produced with Pro mode on the Samsung Note 9 have started getting a 'fringe' on one edge when imported to LR.

This may well be a Samsung problem but thought I'd raise it here first.

The odd thing is that when viewing the DNG files in the Note9's own Gallery there is no fringing. - it can only be seen when the photos are imported into Lightroom.

However, DNG pictures taken with the LR app (or Moment app) do not show fringing in either the Note 9 Gallery, or in LR!

Examples here: https://adobe.ly/2FTgwQq

Advice appreciated. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the problem is in Samsung's camera because the problem came after the ACR upgrade to version 11. Before that I never had such artifacts.

But you're right - pictures made with LR app (or FV-5 app) have no such problems (at least at first glance)

Galaxy S8 +

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to follow up with the Adobe employees following this issue - has there been any status update as to timing for a fix? Based on investigation of the problem, in the meantime, is there any workaround available to allow Samsung s7/8/9 DNG files to be correctly edited in Lr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far no solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least temporarily I'm editing these files in other photo editors that do render them correctly. I can then export the result in .tif to Lr if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this may be worth taking note of...

"Corrupted" DNG files (Sam Galaxy S9+) display correctly when opened in Adobe DNG Profile Editor.

And, no, it's not the embedded preview.  I can zoom in to 1600% and still make out rough details.

So, what's the difference between the way in which the DNG files are read by Profile Editor versus Lightroom?

It seems likely that the source of the problem can be found somewhere in that difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate