• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe DNG Converter question

New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topaz Photo AI plugin accepts LRC and PS raw files. After processing, it save these files as DNG. Unfortunately the processed files are 5 to 7 times larger than the raw files. Topaz Photo AI does not compress its output files. Topaz support recommends processing the larger files with the Adobe DNG Converter to reduce file size. But Topaz does not provide a recommended workflow to accomplish the conversion. My question is: Does Adobe DNG Converter accept DNG files as input?

If I use LRC to invoke the Topaz plug-in, Photo AI will return a DNG file to LRC automatically. How do I process the Topaz DNG file with DNG Converter after it is included in the LRC catalog? It seems to me that if you modify the file after it is imported/included in the catalog, the catalog would be corrupted. If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from download and install">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is: Does Adobe DNG Converter accept DNG files as input?

yes it does ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the latest version of dng converter (16.4.0.1906).  I cannot seem to get .dng files to import (Topaz Photo AI suggestion to reduce their enormous DNG file output).  When I click on 'Select folder' and navigate to my large Photo AI dng file folder, nothing shows up.  This folder includes dngs converted by LrC from Canon Raw which have NOT been supersized by Photo AI.  Am I missing a setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My error.  While it showed me no files, it did convert every dng in the selected folder.  Alas, no reduction in the size of the Topaz Photo AI supersized files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Note: I am not a Topaz user, but most of the reply below is about the Adobe side of things.)

One reason the Topaz files must be larger is that in order to process the files, the file cannot stay purely raw. The single stream of raw data must be demosaiced into three RGB channels. That by itself can triple the file size. In addition, if a camera captures 10 to 14 bits of data, photo apps only output 8, 16, or 32 bits per channel, so if your camera captures for example 14 bits, then the three RGB channels Topaz converts to may be at 16 bits per channel, and if that happens, that makes the file another level larger.

The same file size expansion happens when, for example, Lightroom Classic applies AI Denoise, because it must expand a raw file to a demosaiced DNG for the same reasons and with the same consequences.

If you’re using Lightroom Classic, then you do not necessarily have to use DNG Converter, because Lightroom Classic (and Camera Raw too) already has those DNG Converter features built in. (I think Topaz recommends DNG Converter as a free solution to account for the many people who are not using Lightroom Classic.) 

In Lightroom Classic, see if this works for you (try it out on test files first before doing it on irreplaceable images):

1. Select DNG files returned to Lightroom Classic from Topaz. 

2. Choose Library > Convert Photos to DNG. 

3. In the Convert to DNG dialog box, deselect “Only Convert Raw Files” so that it will process DNG files. 

4. Select “Use Lossy Compression”. This option should also be in DNG Converter, and I think you have to select that if you want the file size to go down. 

Lightroom-Classic-Convert-to-lossy-DNG.jpg

After you click OK, Lightroom Classic (like DNG Converter) will process the images. The big difference with, and the big benefit of, doing it in Lightroom Classic is that it already knows about these images, so it is able to replace them in the catalog without corrupting the catalog. It automatically relinks the database instances of the originals, including existing metadata, to the new DNG copies it made, and unlinks the originals (they no longer appear in the catalog). If you also select “Delete Originals After Successful Conversion, then the originals are deleted; if you don’t select that then they are left in the folder even though they are not visible in the catalog but that would defeat the purpose of saving storage space.

Lossy DNG compression should be almost visually identical to the original. It uses compression that is better than (so, not as degraded as) JPEG compression. However, if it was me, I would not apply lossy DNG compression to images I rate the highest or which must retain as much quality as possible because I want to make large prints or something. But there should be no visible quality loss for images that will only be printed small or posted to social media, for example; so I would have no problem applying lossy DNG compression to those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines