• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

D750 "unexpected end of file" for NEF that loads fine into Capture NX-D

Enthusiast ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a NEF that produces an "unexpected end of file" error in both Lightroom 5.7 and PS CC (both with Camera Raw 8.7). The same NEF loads and converts fine in Nikon's Capture NX-D V1.0.2. The NEF also converts fine into a JPEG using the D750's in-camera NEF processing function. I can provide the NEF to Adobe for analysis.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've opened a ticket on French Nikon support for the same issue. They asked me to perform several tests, but for the moment they did not find anything.

Do you have an update for your ticket from Nikon ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just shot my first wedding with the D750... out of the 1120 images taken using the camera 10 of them gave the mentioned error in Lightroom (unexpected end of file)

The error was there in both files - Card Slot 1 and 2 (Backup Mode)... I tried fixing the NEF using the application mentioned, which did not work...

After reading this thread I tried opening them in NX-D, which works... but it sucks that these random errors show up in Lightroom... It gave me a real scare initially... at least the images are not lost...

Hopefully Nikon and/or Adobe sort this out soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention... This was on the upgraded D750 firmware... 1.01

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks sunilthakkar82. Could you post one of your NEFs to this thread so that I can analyze it? I'd like to make sure it exhibits the same problem as the other NEFs, which it sounds like it does based on the fact that you saw the error on the NEFs from both SD cards in backup mode. You can use https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ to send the NEF to yourself and then post the resulting link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... Here is the link to download one of the corrupted NEF files for analysis...

Link:

Transfer Big Files Free - Email or Send Large Files up to 20 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sunilthakkar82 I don't see any problem with your file. Dcraw converts it fine. I have no problems to open it in Camera Raw (_DSC0681.NEF).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry sent the wrong file by mistake...

Here is one of the corrupted ones:

Transfer Big Files Free - Email or Send Large Files up to 20 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update... only in 1 file out of the 10 that are corrupted... the file was ok on one card and not on the other... the remaining 9 were bad on both cards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share the _DSC0564.NEF you had on the other card (if it really was OK?)

I see an error at row 4032 col 5586

_DSC0564.NEF: Corrupt data near 0x1ba80c6

So error in same row as I always had, might be the same issue I think but it should have been in both SD slots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will send both files tomorrow....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sunilthakkar82, thanks for the corrupted NEF. I have verified that your NEF exhibits the same replicated data corruption as mine and engerim's NEFs. Can you please post the brand and model of SD card you're using? The more variety of cards we see this with the more convincing it will be for Nikon that the problem isn't SD-card model specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem files open fine in Capture NX-D which is why I didn't think it was normal file corruption. But who knows . . . I'll try a new card and see if I get any new problem files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, I found a solution! I also had the Unexpected End of File Occurred problem. Using a brand new Nikon D750 and latest lightroom for time lapse.

It was bugging me all day so I had to solve it. All I did was separate the corrupt NEF files into a separate folder, load them into Aperture, export unchanged as NEF to a new folder. Now they load properly in Lightroom without the Unexpected End of File Occurred problem!

TaDa...

Plus I now know that the Unexpected End of File Occurred problem only happens on 1 memory card I used, cheaper Integral 64GB.

Let me know if this works for you please.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mickp76958285‌, thanks for sending one of your corrupt NEFs. Your corrupt NEF is similar to the issue discussed in this thread in that the encoded section runs out of data right at the final row of data. However your NEF does not have the replicated data corruption that is seen on the other files, which means your file(s) are corrupted somewhere in the middle of the NEF and is likely the result of the SD card rather than the D750 issue discussed here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with my D750's.  Never had this issue prior to the firmware upgrade at the end of December.  I shoot around 1500 to 2000 shots per wedding and around 10 images per shoot have the 'unexpected end of file' error when loading into Lightroom or Photoshop.  Happening on both D750's with an assortment of SD cards (Lexar and Sandisk).  I've sent the files off to Nikon for review to see what's happening and to try and get a resolution (hopefully!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pink Mink, can you share one of your NEFs for us to analyze? I'll be able to tell you whether it exhibits the same issue discussed here. You can send the file to yourself via https://www.transferbigfiles.com/ and then post the resulting link here (or in a PM to me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Horshack, I've PM'ed you one of my dodgy NEF files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2015 Apr 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Sorry to come in on an older thread. I am experiencing the same problem on a new D750 and wondered if any progress had been made or answers from Nikon. Many thanks - Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have the same problem on my Nikon D750.... Did anybody send it on Nikon service? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - I have an open case with Nikon Europe ref 150404-000005

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also opened a case, but I am waiting for answer.. Please post updates Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP here - I just noticed that the current/latest version of ACR (8.8) is now able to successfully process D750 NEFs that exhibit the duplicate-data corruption issue I outlined in this thread...vs previous versions such as 8.7.1 which could not. I'm guessing Adobe modified the software to ignore any potentially corrupt data that exists beyond the normal processed dimensions of the NEF. I also noticed that ACR 8.8 can also process NEFs that have other types of corruption inside the actual image area itself (ie, typical CF/SD card corruption vs the D750-specific issue); now instead of reporting an EOF error, ACR actually lets you load and process the file but with any corruption visible in the image (typically as colored bands, depending on the type and location of corruption). Both changes are great news. I don't believe Adobe has made ACR 8.8 available to Lightroom users as of yet, so to take advantage of this fix you'll need to use Photoshop / Camera Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work to convert the premature-EOF NEFs to DNGs using the DNG Converter 8.8? In others words does the DNG Converter 8.8 fix the data slightly? If so that would be a way to get the bad-EOF NEF raw data into LR, already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, DNG converter 8.8 can be used as a temporary alternative for LR users until Adobe puts ACR 8.8+ in the next LR release. Here's an EOF conversion attempt with converter 8.7.x vs 8.8.x:

i-nBWbzx3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines