• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get ACR to open images with sRGB color space?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open files from Bridge into ACR the images open with the Adobe RGB color space. My camera is set to use the sRGB space and I would like to use this space when I process them. How can I get get the files to open automatically in sRBG?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Raw files don't have a color space. Camera Raw actually works in a Prophoto color space. If your Camera Raw is opening in Adobe RGB then your default settings have been changed. You can change it to sRGB by clicking on that little hyperlink at the bottom of the Camera Raw interface and choosing sRGB and then save new Camera Raw defaults If that is what you really want to do. Personally, I prefer working in Prophoto for as long as I can and then reduce it down to sRGB when necessary. That can be

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raw files don't have a color space. Camera Raw actually works in a Prophoto color space. If your Camera Raw is opening in Adobe RGB then your default settings have been changed. You can change it to sRGB by clicking on that little hyperlink at the bottom of the Camera Raw interface and choosing sRGB and then save new Camera Raw defaults If that is what you really want to do. Personally, I prefer working in Prophoto for as long as I can and then reduce it down to sRGB when necessary. That can be done in Photoshop as one of the last steps. But that is your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gor the reply. I guess my question is: how do I change the default setting so that the files open automatically with the sRGB space. I have been individually changing to sRGB in the manner you described but it would obviously be more convenient if the process were automatic. I have looked for a setting in both Bridge and ACR to accomplish this but can't seem to figure it out. Thanks.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read Jim's answer again: "You can change it to sRGB by clicking on that little hyperlink at the bottom of the Camera Raw interface and choosing sRGB"

This link opens what is known as the "Workflow Options". These settings are sticky, so it is actually not necessary to save it to new Camera Raw defaults. Once this setting for color space is changed, it'll stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I don't use Camera Raw is much as I do Lightroom, I wasn't sure about the necessity of saving the defaults after setting the color space. I guess I should do a little more research perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks to you both for the help.  I only noticed the problem yesterday and though I had been resetting the color space using the message Jim suggested I guess I must have canceled out of all the changes I had made to the images I had looked at because each time I opened a new image the Adobe RGB space was active. I j just opened an image, changed the color space, saved it and then closed the image. And yes, you were right, the change is sticky! 

Appreciate the help.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines