• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does an XMP file store vignette info?

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues in timelapse sequences with vignette properties changing when I change shutter speed and I need to vary it via the XMP data.  I set keyframes, edit those, then interporlate the values in the XMP files via a custom tool.  There are thousands of images so it's not practical to do it manually - the code interpolates the values set in the keyframes.

The issue is I can't figure out how the XMP file stores vignette data.  There's a slider in Camera Raw for "Vignette" but there's no corresponding entry in the XMP file.  There's a "VignetteModelParam1" but it's always equal to 1.  Then there's a collection of entries under "VignetteModelPiecewiseParam" but those values change with every image, even the ones where the slider in Camera Raw is unchanged.  So I don't understand what those values represent.  It looks like they represent some kind of a falloff value as a function of radius from the center of the image but why do they change for images where the vignette slider is in the same location (100)?  There's something else going on there.

So... does anybody know how Adobe stores vignette info in the XMP file?

Thanks in advance,

rgames

TOPICS
DNG profile creator , Lens profile creator , SDK , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crs:VignetteAmount = "x"

crs:VignetteMidpoint="y"

If you use EXIFTool, you must read from the XMP sidecar file, NOT the RAW as they have different data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply - that parameter in the XMP file does not affect the Camera Raw vignette slider.  I have a bunch of images with different vignette amounts and crs:VignetteAmount and crs:VignetteMidpoint are equal to zero for all of them.

I did find this parameter: crs:LensProfileVignettingScale that seems to control the vignette slider in the camera raw settings.

I'd still like to know how that list of vignette values works and why it's different for every image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tested by creating a vignette and doing a diff on the XMP files. I'm pretty sure that change is the one I manually made in Camera RAW. Your lens profile will have vignette correction which is likely something different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines