• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Individual DNG file not opening in camera RAW does not recognize type of file

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my Macbook pro's operating system to Mac OS Montery 12.3.1 had some funny issues with bridge so updated bridge, camera raw and photoshop, everything is now fully up to date.

When I try to open a group of DNG files in camera RAW it would say for a few of the photos

"Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."

All of the other DNG's open and export fine. It's just 1 or 2 files. I can see the preview of the image, sometimes it comes up with the DNG logo and I clear the cache and see the preview again. I am edting off the internal hard drive. Camera Leica M240. I've used this camera for 5 years and never had this problem. I tried to copy the file from the memory card again, same result. I opened the file in Lightroom and it works. I went back and checked old files I had edited fine and 1 or 2 of them also now have the same problem.

How can I make camera RAW recongnize all my DNG's?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

"I am sure it is a problem with the update and these files are not broken."

Right. Others with Lieca M (typ 240) cameras have observed the same problem with LR 11.3 / CR 14.3:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/unreadable-files-on-nas/m-p/12941302#M274269

Adobe is investigating. Meanwhile, the workaround is to install CR 14.2:

https://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/cameraraw/mac/14.x/CameraRaw_14_2.dmg 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload one or two of these problematic DNGs to something like DropBox so others can examine them? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello here is a link to 2 DNG's that won't open in camera RAW.

The first is older and I opened and edited it fine in the old Camera RAW, now it won't open.

Both images open and edit and export in lightroom Version 2.3, I havent updated lightroom just yet incase they won't work there then.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O3nD1YiEfFAkvVwsAyONTgRkgquVtwYV/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are damaged or wonky (non technical term) as I can't open them either in ACR, import them into Lightroom Classic or convert them again with the DNG converter. They appear damaged. 

DNGerror1.jpgLRC.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

Both files for me open in Lightroom 2.3, can be edited and exported as jpegs. The first photo is an older file from afew weeks ago and I used the old version of camera RAW to edit and export a jpeg no problem then. 

Only since I have updated to the newest camera RAW has this problem occured so I am sure it is a problem with the update and these files are not broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am sure it is a problem with the update and these files are not broken."

Right. Others with Lieca M (typ 240) cameras have observed the same problem with LR 11.3 / CR 14.3:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/unreadable-files-on-nas/m-p/12941302#M2...

Adobe is investigating. Meanwhile, the workaround is to install CR 14.2:

https://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/photoshop/cameraraw/mac/14.x/CameraRaw_14_2.dmg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot @johnrellis that's worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround did not work for me.  Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This workaround did not work for me.  Same issue."

In Photoshop, please do Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire output here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't feel comfortable posting that output on a public forum.  A couple additional updates:

- these problems occur whether running Photoshop in native mode or Rosetta mode on the M1 Mac

- I also have discovered that I can't open a .TIF file either - message reads:  "Could not open file because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered".  The only files I can open in the latest version of Photoshop are .jpg files.

- the thumbnails for my image files also appear to be messed up - either a text icon only or an application icon - this appears to be a Mac issue - occurs whether inside or outside Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing:  the age of the file is not important.  Occurs whether the files were created years ago or last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dozens of people post Help > System Info from Adobe apps every week -- there isn't any security or privacy threat.  That detailed information often provides important troubleshooting clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad others feel comfortable.  I don't.  I may have discovered the issue anyway.  I store my files in the cloud and typically, when an app like Photoshop calls for the file, the cloud service will download and open it.  Some cloud services are having an issue with OS Monterey right now and this automatic download is not working.  So all that is available to Photoshop is a pointer file, which it does not recognize.  So to open the file in Photoshop, you have to first download it manually from the cloud service if you use one, then open it in Photoshop.  This is only a problem on the Mac, not on Windows.  Once downloaded, no problem opening it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with Photoshop 23.4.2 on an M1 Mac.  I don't have that issue with the same version of Photoshop on a Windows 11 PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a Macbook Pro M1 (updated to Mac OS Montery) and download LRCC. LRCC will not convert my .ARW (Sony a7rIII Raw) to DNG so I process the image. What am I doing wrong? 

I don't have an issue with my Windows 11 system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I recently purchased a Macbook Pro M1 (updated to Mac OS Montery) and download LRCC. LRCC will not convert my .ARW (Sony a7rIII Raw) to DNG so I process the image. ...I don't have an issue with my Windows 11 system."

As a first step, grant LR Full Disk Access, as described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Without Full Disk Access, many, many people have found that LR can act very strangely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines