• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to export files in the HEIC/HEIF formats

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that HEIC is starting to get some reasonable adoption after iOS 11, it’s great that Lightroom Classic CC can import those files. But it would be even better if it could export them too. For various reasons, I end up exporting from Lightroom to Apple Photos.app, and it seems like a no-brainer for me to use HEIC if Lightroom supported them. (Why not save the extra disk space?)

I know I can export to TIFF or some other lossless format and then use a third-party utility to convert them to HEIC, but that’s too much of a pain. Having native support in the Export workflow would be ideal.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Update:

The recent additions of JXL and AVIF formats to Export provided improved quality, fidelity, bit-depth, and file size improvements, largely mitigating the need for this request.  At this time, HEIC exports remain 'not planned.'

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
75 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also save our planet - i'm exaggerating a tiny bit but saving 50% of disk space for every picture i'm exporting from Lightroom for importing into Photos on my Mac (sorry, but the elegance of the interface, SPEED, eg, for instance when scrolling!!!, and many other features are so much more polished in Photos compared to Lightroom) would be nice!!! I also only see advantages and it's hard to understand why Adobe hesitates - other than a lack of competitive pressure... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will you please - i'm begging here (even though i'm a paying customer) - add a export to HEIC format option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

The recent additions of JXL and AVIF formats to Export provided improved quality, fidelity, bit-depth, and file size improvements, largely mitigating the need for this request.  At this time, HEIC exports remain 'not planned.'

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know Avif export was possible now.

I am happy about it and I will definitely try it.

That being said, I genuinely do not understand why adding export in AVIF seems mutually exclusive with adding export in Heif, specially when heif format is already supported by Adobe.

Thank you for the information @Rikk Flohr: Photography 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a truly dissatisfied customer. Adding unsupported formats instead of supported ones. Great choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That answer is hot garbage sir.  JXL has export issues with iOS and nobody outside of Adobe supports Avif.  Why am I maintaining my Lightroom subscription at this point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

done. I canceled my subscription.

Dear Adobe: Transfer some stupid AI money to real features and I will happily come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if you could export the photos in HEIF format to maintain quality and save space, and also if the camera of the application itself was at least comparable to the standard iOS camera in terms of processing and quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF (the HEVC coded variety, to be precise) is patented technology, the main beneficiaries and proponents being Apple and Canon.

AVIF and JPEG XL are not encumbered this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a complicated matter for sure, many stakeholders are involved in HEVC patents.

Adobe is saying there is no need to implement HEIC export anymore. While I believe they do not want to pay for it.

Which leaves me in the box of not paying to Adobe for not providing a feature I would pay for.

In fact I would buy any RAW converter providing convenient and adjustable HEIC export while, correct me if I am wrong, zero are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny that adobe promised huge number new features while they forced users to migrate from proprietary licenses to subscriptions. Cost for users went up I think like 30-60% at least. I see no trully unique features added, my only observation is this software is getting slower and slower (i still have LR5 on my old pc, it's much faster compared to letest version on 3-4 times faster machine, with same # of photos in library!!). And when i'm thinking what changed in LR in recent years, it's not much! Panoramas and hdr marging is better, also some removal functions are working slightly better. But is it much?

And while adobe is sitting on our money (check their finance records, revanue is five times higher compared to before subscription, from around $4.000.000.000 to $19.000.000.000 per year!!) they are still ignoring basic user requests.

"Please add us heif" - No money for this.
"Please give us linux versions" -sorry, no financial interest in this.
"please give us... [check adobe forums for random user request]" - sorry, no time/money for this!

"please give us avif export". sure, after few years, here you go, here's your open source image format export taken from free open source library [however, what a pitty, checked today and i had no avif export in PS, even in latest beta version]

Adobe, what are you gving to photographers for this tiny $20.000.000.000 per year? Your AI functions are basically a joke, purely design, and castrated in such way that i can't use it in any useful way for production. Open source stable diffusion models offers quality lights ahead of adobe, for free. I mean here generative ai functions, as well as enlarge photos, or subject removal.

I recently cancelled my adobe subscription, and I urge you guys to do the same - this is the only way to force some changes at adobe.

Best regards,

p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really like to see HEIC/HEIF as a supported format for export from Lightroom (mobile and MacOS), not just import/editing.

• HEIC is just a much better lossy format in terms of quality and compression than JPG, and has fewer issues with re-rendering/re-saving a lossy file multiple times. (Even Adobe says all this.)
  • It's also able to support HDR in a way that Apple tends to handle better than in AVIF/JPG XL, in my experience. (I believe iPhone-produced HDR HEICs are actually produced with a combination of an HDR HEIC plus a gain map—at least, that's what the Adobe Gain Map Demo App indicates. Lightroom seems to read that all just fine when importing.)
  • Adobe itself doesn't fully support AVIF/JXL in the way it does HEIC, either—they won't open in (MacOS) Photoshop without first going through Camera Raw, for example. That applies to even non-HDR AVIF/JXLs.
  • Photoshop does open HEIC files natively without an ACR dialog to start (at least on a Mac). I am not sure how it handles HDR in HEICs, if at all, but, it's better basic support.

While I realize HEIC support is more limited beyond Apple devices right now, it's got to be a sizable percentage of the user base, and that support may grow on other platforms. Some cameras shoot in HEIC as well—it's not just an iPhone/Photos thing.

In terms of non-Apple HEIC support, if going directly from Lightroom to a non-Apple user, you've already got the option of JPG/JXL/AVIF for compressed/lossy formats. If you end up with an HEIC in Apple software, it tends to be reasonably seamless at converting it to a JPG when sharing it, or giving the option to choose/export a different file format without too much hassle.

Support for AVIF/JXL is also still mixed across OS/browser/etc, although I admit they're maybe where web standards are headed. In particular, AVIF and JXL aren't great on Apple's ecosystem right now.

For example, I'll export Lightroom HDR images into Photos as AVIF just because it's the "best" option for HDR display there that Lightroom can produce. They're handled reasonably well—but not perfectly. And I run into enough small issues with full AVIF support across the Apple ecosystem more broadly that I won't switch to AVIF for all exports. I avoid AVIF unless I need that ability to view HDR in Photos and limited other Apple software. Right now, I generally have to downgrade to JPG if I want a compressed format fully supported on even just my own devices.

Anyway, it would be nice to be able to be able to export a modern, high quality compressed image format, that supports HDR, to Apple devices and have it fully supported there. And right now, that format is HEIC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to find this existing thread before posting my original one—apologies—so my post was moved here.

Responding to the "not planned" status/post from @Rikk Flohr: Photography - Thank you also for an update. That is appreciated. I realize that AVIF and JXL are next-generation compressed formats, like HEIC/HEIF, and it's great that they're an option now. However, I must add my voice to those who do not think that AVIF and JXL alone "largely mitigate" the need for HEIC export capability. I just don't think the support for AVIF or JXL is wide enough—especially in the Apple ecosystem—to say they mitigate the need for HEIC/HEIF. 

To quote Adobe themselves, "HEIC files have become the standard image format for Apple users across the globe."

Lightroom should be able to export into what Adobe says is the "standard image format for Apple users across the globe." Period. I don't think users should be told that a solution is to instead use formats that aren't fully supported by either Apple or Adobe.

Again, AVIF/JXL support isn't just imperfect in Apple's ecosystem, let alone others', but in Adobe's own. As I said in my previous post, Photoshop compatibility is arguably worse (requires ACR) opening an AVIF or JXL compared to an HEIC. Photoshop also won't export AVIF/JXL natively. Really, Adobe doesn't truly fully support HEIC, AVIF, or JXL. Why force us into AVIF/JXL, which seems to be in a halfway state with both Apple and Adobe, when HEIC is at least fully supported by Apple—and has been established as such for years?

On Apple's side, yes, Photos, Preview, etc will display an AVIF as of the latest MacOS/iOS. (Though I'll note that AVIF HDR images don't always display the same/properly in Photos compared to Lightroom, even on the same XDR screen.) But while it'll display an AVIF, the OS won't work with them the way it does with a JPG or HEIC. Everything Apple consistently tries to force conversion of an AVIF into HEIC or JPG whenever you do something with the image (saving it, sharing it, etc.)—usually in a far more awkward way than its fairly seamless HEIC to JPG conversion on sharing. Because it just does not want to have images as AVIFs.

Simply put, AVIF/JXL are not supported across MacOS/iOS/iPadOS the way JPG or HEIC is. HEIC is the modern format that Apple's ecosystem uses seamlessly. It just is. And I think Lightroom should fully support that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a lot of Apple's device such as iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and MacBook.

The lack of HEIF exporting feature is exactly the block point for me to subscribe your Lightroom.

Please, consider to implement this, I sese no feasibility issue, only want or don't want, since you had already can import such format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Equally, you could ask Apple to stop using a patent encumbered format and start promoting open ones instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent addition of formats that aren't supported anywhere eliminates the need for the only format universally supported on all platforms? (win, mac, samsung, pixel, android, ios)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "universally supported" qualification is somewhat tentative. For example, HEIC is not supported on Windows OOTB. One has to buy the HEVC codec from the store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you count paying $0 as buying. Same thing happens when you breath air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not 0.

While $0.99 might not be much for a lot of people, the licensing principle of it does not make it "universal".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photomator can export to HEIC format, in addition to their recent exhaustive HDR workflow support. (They also support AVIF and JPEG XL export, so they agree those two are not fully sufficient.)

If they can support HEIC export, so can Adobe. PLEASE add in this format for native export. AVIF and JPEG XL are great, but HEIC has been around much longer then both of those formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XnView MP can also export to HEIC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"XnView MP can also export to HEIC."

Which is true partially. We want HEIC for HDR images, don't we?  XnView can not handle HDR encoded images, and export for that files was not possible to me. HEIC encoding settings were almost not existent too. Nice tool, however not usuable for my purposes.

Photomator is Apple only.

So I had a nice HDR workflow App with Lightroom. Which is pretty useless if there is no proper way to see files after they left Lightroom. Not continuing Adobe subscriptions until this is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply put: There are hundreds of millions of devices out there supporting HEIC.

I'm so frustrated to share HDR photos to my friends via iMessage, AVIF doesn't work.

@Rikk Flohr: Photography  Remember how Adobe Flash lost to HTML5? Media consumers are on Apple products, and Apple prioritizes HTML5. Deja vu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thanks for this, will give it a try! Wish they added photo library management. Been quite frustrated with Adobe for a while and their subborness to add the most populart and widely-supported HDR format in the world is the final nail in the coffin. And the claim AVIF is an alterantive... just pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are still people screaming about webp. Why not just support ALL of these formats? This seems like a no-brainer.

Votes

Translate

Translate