• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: HSL Adjustments for Local Adjustment Tools

Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The addition of HSL controls for the adjustment brush and the gradient tools would be a wonderful advancement and offer LR another great feature set that I'm sure would come in handy for the vast majority of Lightroom users.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 139 Replies 139
139 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hallo,

DXO photolab seems to have integrated this feature now !

Look how ON1 does that :
https://www.on1.com/blog/on1-short-clip-correct-color-on-landscape-photos/
Luminar and Topaz have similar features
I really wonder why i continue using Lightroom in develop.It takes years to Adobe to have basic features.
Remember in the past when Capture NX2 was so powerful while Lightroom 3 was still a toy.
best regardsmarc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of the countless times I have wished for HSL adjustment features in Lightrooms adjustment brush, gradient and radial tool. It seems almost unnatural not having this option since it's already there globaly and since it would give us even more control of color rendition in our work. This would be a great step up and bring Lightroom on par with some of the other major editing programs.

So please Adobe, listen up and put this on your top priority list 🙂

Kind regards, Steen

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 years and this is still not implemented.  Spent a good bit of time yesterday trying to figure this out thinking i was doing something wrong, but nope its just not a feature.  

This really does need added  HSL for brush adjustments would speed editing up tremendously. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would never get implemented. But support for libraraies are. Damn adobe really listens! NOT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's mad that Adobe still haven't added the ability to adjust HSL for specific areas via the brush and filter tools. Even FREE web based editors like Pixlr have this feature! This needs adding ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tottaly agreem this might be one of the most needed things in Lightroom. Adobe should take a close look at Davinci Resolve and transfer some of those grading things to Lightroom...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  My current kludge for correcting colour casts on a portion of an image is to add an adjustment brush, slightly increase the exposure (e.g. 5) and then try to find a light complimentary colour to the unwanted colour cast by selecting a point in the Adjustment brush colour panel.  This is hit-and-miss but eventually works.  It would be so much easier to have a control (even a "slider") to reduce the saturation of the unwanted colour.  

Hmm, in the meantime, maybe just add a toggle to the Adjustment Brush colour picker that would allow the user to add OR SUBTRACT the selected colour.

This thread began 8 years ago.  Adobe, you can do better than this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can keep going another 8 years to listen to real customers. They just want to update tool panel cause that was so important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,
if it can help, it seems that a new technique is used now by using agraduated filter and put it outside the image so it applies to the whole image. than you adjust exposure, saturation,... AND you activate color range, luminosity range sliders to make local "hsl" 🙂

best regards
marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i forgot one point : and of course you still have the masking brush to remove the effect from unwanted zones.
Look for instance :
https://www.scottdavenportphoto.com/blog/in-post-dodge-amp-burn-with-luminosity-masks-385

marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this as a viable workaround - but it's still SUCH a kludge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that Adobe doesn't pay atention to this forum. So many real improvements to do and nothing... Very frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to take this forum to Reddit

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The selection tools is fantastic, however I don't understand why we can't change HSL with it! it would be so great if we could change saturation, hue etc of just one part of the image! I don't want to go on Ps for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

several times i need remove excessive red skin on groom in very white people. Using global HSL also change all reds in the photo, like red dresses. Is very important add HSL in adjustment tool to be more precise

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this using the Color Range Mask tools available in the Adjustment Brush, Radial Filter, and Graduated filter. The HSL controls are limited to eight colors, which isn't isn't very selective. By comparison the Color Range Mask has virtually unlimited color selectivity using its eyedropper tool. In fact the Color Range tools make addition of the HSL controls almost redundant. It's just a different and less selective way of adjusting color. You can add as many Color Masks as you like to correct different image areas and/or colors.

I suspect most people that reject this as a solution don't understand how to use it. Here's a good tutorial on the topic of skin tone correction in portraits. Jump to 3:55 for the segment on portrait retouching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usD8FIdQtkU

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victoria, I'm a bit puzzled. I thought that Vibrance is selective saturation on the muted colors, and conversely, saturation is aggressive vibrance. So technically, is there a way to achieve the vibrance via an adjustment brush?
The only hack I know to achieve this, is to export two layers to PS, (one with vibrance and one without) and then apply a selective mask, save and then return to LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saturation increases saturation equally, whereas Vibrance increases the saturated of lower-saturated colors more than highly saturated colors, so it protects skin tones.

The local adjustment Saturation slider is slightly misnamed. It does - Saturation in a negative direction and + Vibrance in a positive direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I wouldn’t have been able to guess that from the name. Been frustrated often, having tried to combine variations of the global slider with the local slider.
Not sure if there’s an open ticket somewhere for Adobe to rename the saturation adjustment or at least provide a tool tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember seeing one. I think I've only been asked a handful of times in the last 10 years. The name's just a bit long to put the whole info on there. It's like the Noise Slider doesn't actually ADD noise, and the Sharpness slider does a mix of unsharpening and blurring in a negative direction. It's probably in some help files somewhere, and it's definitely in my books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched the video and yes it is an effective way of altering colors; however, it is not nearly as straightforward as tweaking sliders which we have understood for, what, a decade?  How do you use this approach to boost (not reduce) colors that are not in the image?  Most people using the HSL sliders tweak more than one slider control, e.g. reduce the green and yellow sliders if grass is too green or boost both if not enough.  So the sliders do give us effective AND SIMPLE control over a range of colors.  Why not give us the set of controls we already understand?  Other products do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!
In Capture One, make layer, paint mask, adjust anything (inside or outside) mask, including HSL
<https://learn.captureone.com/tutorials/color-editor/>
Come on Adobe make it simple  like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 and this still isn't a feature, pretty disappointing adobe!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason Adobe doesn't do what seems evident to most anyone using Lightroom is probably for reasons other than those we suspect. Usually because Adobe is run by non-users like ... techies, or .... accountants. Logic from a user's point of view has nothing to do with corporate decision making most of the time. Most corporations are run in a similar dis-embodied manner it seems. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is the reason why a lot of serious photographers turn their nose up at LR. I love LR but I have to defend it amongst my peers. Adobe could take it to the next level and be a real competitor to Capture One but they are stuck in a pro-sumer mentality, adding features that cater to the middle market. 

Votes

Translate

Translate