• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please include the same crop overlays (Golden Ratio, Golden Spiral, etc)

Contributor ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, PLEASE have the team add the SAME CROP OVERLAYS to the Bridge Camera RAW editor as are in both the Lightroom and the Photoshop Crop Overlays.It's very frustrating and seems to make no sense to leave this out of the camera RAW editor in Bridge.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020
Hallelujah! ADOBE finally added all these new overlays in Camera RAW 12.3!
Grab the Crop tool, then Right-Click (or Control-key click on a Mac) to see all the overlays!

Votes

Translate

Translate
26 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are additional cropping overlay tools going to be included in Bridge? (e.g.; Photoshop has the Rule of Thirds like Bridge, however it also includes additional cropping options such as Diagonal, Triangle, Golden Ratio, and the Golden Spiral.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

is there a way to ask a request about camera raw?

1) i would like to have more overlay in camera raw?

like grid,diagonal,golden ratio

i have in photoshop , can't understand why does adobe include in camera raw

2) and the crop shield ,have the possibility in short darken the aread outside the crop

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Camera RAW crop tool only has one compositional crop overlay grid which shows the rule of thirds guides. Lightroom Classic has several different options for crop overlay grids and it is possible to cycle between them by simply pressing the "O" key. It would be great if ACR had the same facility to superimpose several different grids and a spiral, and also have a means of cycling round between them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When are additional cropping overlay tools going to be included in Bridge?
(e.g.: Photoshop has the Rule of Thirds, in addition to Grid, Diagonal, Triangle, Golden Ratio and the Golden Spiral under the crop tool overlay options.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if they think because we're likely to open in Photoshop so they can just ignore cropping for the most part and we'll use PS. I would, except that I open as a Smart Object and many plugins see the original layer when you try to run as a Smart Filter. So it really helps to get the crop right in Camera Raw whenever possible.

And then for all those who are done with editing in Camera Raw and don't even need Photoshop's tools. . . So it's not exactly a frivolous request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 27, 2019 Aug 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please, PLEASE give Bridge ACR the same crop overlays As LightRoom and Photoshop. It is incredible to me that you still have not. Why not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2019 Sep 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, why isn't the whole ACR user interface updated? All the same functions of Develop but every button, slider and function is in a different place with a different visual look!
Steve Gandy
Photographer - Instructor
stevegandy.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Camera RAW still does not have the same crop overlays as both Photoshop and Lightroom (e.g., Golden Spiral, Triangle, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop overlays in Photoshop (and Lightroom) are extremely useful to my workflow, and to the workflow of my consulting clients. If they are so important to have added them to both Lightroom and to Photoshop, why not also add them to ACR's crop tool? I can edit all my images so much more quickly in Bridge/ACR than in Lightroom, and I don't want to lose my non-destructive behavior by entering Photoshop (or creating Smart Objects in Photoshop).

5 years ago on this Forum, and again 3 years ago I asked, "Why can't ACR have the same crop/overlay options as LR and Photoshop?" May I request this again, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make the crop overlays in Bridge/ACR the SAME as what are available in Photoshop and Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature Request: 4 years ago on this Forum, I asked, "Why can't ACR have the same crop/overlay options as LR and Photoshop?" May I request this again, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crop overlays in Photoshop (and Lightroom) are extremely useful to my workflow, and to the workflow of my consulting clients. If they are so important to have added them to both Lightroom and to Photoshop, why not also add them to ACR's crop tool? I can edit all my images so much more quickly in Bridge/ACR than in Lightroom, and I don't want to lose my non-destructive behavior by entering Photoshop (or creating Smart Objects in Photoshop). 

5 years ago on this Forum, and again 3 years ago I asked, "Why can't ACR have the same crop/overlay options as LR and Photoshop?" May I request this again, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree it seems pointless and frustrating  not to have it in ACR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah! ADOBE finally added all these new overlays in Camera RAW 12.3!
Grab the Crop tool, then Right-Click (or Control-key click on a Mac) to see all the overlays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At last! Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the golden spiral seems to be inactive in my menu. Does anyone have the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the overlays in ACR through Bridge, but not through ACR through Photoshop. I do have the overlays in Photoshop.
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> but not through ACR through Photoshop.

You're talking about using File> Open in PS and then choosing a Camera Raw file and not having any overlays? You're not thinking of the Camera Raw Filter, right?

I'm having no problem with all the overlays opening in Camera Raw either through Bridge or through File> Open from PS. But I'm on a Mac running Mojave. Shortcuts work. Right-click works. Other OSes may have their own problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am talking about the Camera Raw filter Cristen, sorry about that. I don't have the crop option or the crop overlays at all with Camera Raw filter through Photoshop. Am I meant to have? I've always done my cropping in Photoshop itself.

I have the latest Window OS

In the Camera Raw Filter, you lose the advantage of crop and rotate tools that you would have access to when working on RAW files, no?

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're not supposed to get crop with overlays in the Camera Raw filter. You're meant to use the crop tool inside PS just as you're doing.  It's not that you can't crop in Camera Raw if you've opened it in PS as a Smart Object—but Smart Objects are wrappers that retain their size, so going back to crop and hoping to retain a non-destructive workflow is problematic, to say the least.

If you crop in PS, you don't have to delete pixels, so the crop doesn't have to be destructive. Choose Reveal All to get the full version back. But note that the same problem exists with 3rd party filters that only recognize the full Smart Object OR the full image that's been cropped with outside pixels retained, even if you run the filter destructively.

It's those 3rd party filters that throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing with non-destructive cropping. Personally, always having to think so many steps ahead when editing hurts my head. <BG>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Cristen
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should I use Photoshop at all when all editing goes in Camera Raw opened from Bridge? Camera Raw already has not destructive Crop Tool. It's convenient and you save as final image or export anyway afterwards.
All that needed to have same guiding overlay options (O) for more neat crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, ACR is (ahem, was) a super efficient athlete of a plugin.  Adding some cropping guides to its non-destructive crop tool (currently rather hobbled) would be a small ask and a genuine boost to some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some slight confusion here over the disparity between ACR opened as a filter within Ps vs ACR opened from a file management interface (ie. "Open with")   - I think having the cropping within a filter, within Ps is not necessary, and could lead to confusion, potentially with a hidden crop that you might forget, buried in a smart layer, that would not show when you then selected crop within Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Main topic as I see was not about the filter within PS. Filter does not need those.
Crop Overlays in ACR opened from file management (ie: "Open With") would be very handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate