Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support 3D camera file formats

May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, now that 3D camera's are everywhere and JPS is the standard, is there anyway we can get Photoshop Elements Organizer to allow JPS files?A JPS file is literally a renamed JPEG file but it has 2 images side by side (so it's twice the width of a 2D version) so there's no issues with Organizer reading the file as it's basically a jpeg but I take hundreds of photos and I don't want to rename them all to jpeg because the files then don't display properly on a 3D viewing device.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012
Photoshop CS6 can now read common stereo image pair formats (JPS, MPO, PNS)

Votes

Translate

Translate
44 Comments
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More and more camera support this function, even those with only one lens ( they combine 2 consecutive images ).
so it would be great to at least visualize them in LR.
to keep it simple such photos would be like a sort of stacked photos.
when stacked you see them in a 3 d mode ( or you see the first one if 3d is not available on the computer), when un_stacked you can see both photos.
when editing them global edits are applied to both. Local edits are applied with a slight offset corresponding to the parallax offset of the camera lens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made this topic a feature request to support 3D camera file formats. Are there any other formats besides JPS that you guys are interested in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks
yeah, MPO is another popular 3D format (a package file with XML and 2x JPEGs inside)
I now own a 3D phone (it takes JPS photos) and it's really bugging me that I cannot catalogue my 200+ photos (so far, only had it 2.5 weeks) in Elements or just open the photos in Photoshop as they are just a renamed JPEG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, Thanks, hope to see that soon in LR! :)
Yes my camera produces MPO files and my telephone JPS files, so supporting both would be great for me.
Regards
Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to have possibility of importing MPO files into Lightroom catalog and managing them.
At least just as it is done Today with movies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are also Side by Side PNG files, with extension .PNS

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visio...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about support of these format in LR4
I have many of these photo that I cannot catalog
they directly come out of a camera so should be supported (not like PNG that is argued about)
at least they could appear as stacked photos, that you cannot un-stack
thank you
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment, 3D devices are emerging. and autostereoscopic 3D devices.
I have 1 computer with shutter glasses, a glasses free laptop (gosmio f755), glasses free tablet (gadmei 3d), and a 3d smartphone (LG Thrill) plus my 3D camera's and beam splitters.

3D is growing rapidly, especially with YouTube pushing it. I find myself surfing all over the net finding small apps, each ones that can do a little of what I need.

It's it's finally at the point where it is growing and people are creating and viewing their own content as well as viewing others.

There are now several video editing apps which can edit in 3D. The photo market does not seem to be as big. I myself am more into the Photo Aspect of 3D and not video.

The one area where I have not found software is for 3D photo management.
The ability to organize, and select the photos I like, and discard the bad ones easily while being able to view in 3D.

This would be a perfect feature for Lightroom. The ability to auto sense, a stereo pair, load the thumbnail so it's a single image, and view in nvidia, and anaglyph.
This is something I really need and have not found. I think this would push lightroom to a new level.

Also, things that I don't need as much but would be nice in Lightroom would be the ability to load an image in 3D format, and adjust it, all the normal settings, color, saturation, gamma, etc, but also parallax adjustments and left right eye positioning.

I think this would about up Lightroom to the 3D photography growing niche market.
Also, since Lightroom is now doing video, this would also help in that area that companies like Sony and cyberlink are pushing.

I would really like to see features like this in Lightroom, which would make my 3D photography life much easier. So I am in full support for seeing features like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fujifilm 3D camera stores 3D photos in the .mpo file format and the 3d .mpo file format is supported by most 3d TVs, 3d bluray players and 3d monitors. I kindly request support for the 3d .mpo file format to be able to open, enhance and store the left and right stereo photos simultaneously. Check http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/ for a good example of 3d photo handling (but lacking photo enhancement features).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

I use this app all the time (StereoPhoto Maker). it's made my life a lot easier with 3D and one of the best 3D apps I've seen out there as far and being able to modify import/export 3D images. What it lacks is the abiliity to modify mass images which is what lightroom was built for.

If lightroom had these capabilities in it. Lightroom would be a very powerful product for the 3D photo world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really miss being able to use Adobe Camera Raw for my 3D photos.
Aligning, cropping, the fine ways to adjust the colors.
StereoPhotoMaker is a great tool to convert files but lacks the image editing.
Aligning and cropping many images fast from within Adobe Bridge can not be done without dual-camera support. Everything else (apart from correcting lens distortions) I can do with side-by-side but not these and they are the very first step in the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah MPO Support would be great. Both Fuji Real3D W3 and Nintendo 3DS are saving their pictures in MPO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Ps CS6 public beta yet? It supports opening JPEG Stereo (.jps) and Multi-Picture format (.mpo).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge CS6 doesn't offer "Photoshop" or "Camera Raw" as "open with...".
I can only open it with the Preview -app of MacOS from within Bridge.

After your comment I opened the MPO -files in the Photoshop CS6 trial.
They open in a "3D-layer" where I can switch between Anaglyph and SideBySide.
However apart form HDR-toning I can't do anything.
No brightness/contrast,
no levels,
I am offered to crop+turn the image but for turning a) I need to input the rotation in degrees instead of marking a horizontal/vertical line b) it asks me to convert from 3D into a SmartObject. I can't convert back to 3D.
Trimming a 3D image displayed as side-by-side trims the SBS-image, not the left+the right image, so it destroys the image.

So yes, it can open them but I can't DO anything with it once I opened it.

http://marcuswolschon.blogspot.de/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Marcus, saved me a download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus, there is a piece of free software that's been around a few years that can do what you're after, written by 1 guy, being improved on all the time, shame Adobe can't implement something like what this app does!

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

it can do everything you ask for to both images or individual, you can also batch convert from multiple formats (JPS & MPO included) to many many different formats including anaglyph ones

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I really like that program on Windows.
Only 2 problems:
1) I'm currently using a Mac as a second laptop for work-reasons.
It only exists for Windows.
2) It's a bit confusing but very good for mass conversion once you figured out the kinks.

But sadly I couldn't do
aligning,
crop,
resize,
adjust white-balance for a series of photos with a grey-card in the first image and
all the parts of color-correction and
remove luminance-noise (because my 3D lens is F12 and I' used to f1.4-f0.95)

So I'm looking for something with the basic functionality of Bridge+Camera Raw but for MPO files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aligning, cropping and resizing are all very easy to do in the programme

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose another option is to mass convert them to side by side jpegs in the programme, then you can do what you want in bridge before batch converting them back to MPO/JPS

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: Kinks= I save 2 sets of settings for color-anaglyph and for side-by-side export resulting in a 1920x1080 photo with the horizontal axis and squashed to 50%.

a) Loading settings does not load all settings in the dialog
b) Getting that SideBySide working without resizing to 3800x1080 or 960x560 is very confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried working in SideBySide but the geometric work (rotate, crop, scale) of cause doesn't work out.
You are right that colors and noise can be done that way.
Lots of work to convert 3 times but possible. (move to Windows->MPO->SBS->move to Mac->work->move to Windows again->Anaglyph+scaled SBS for upload->move the to the mac for archiving).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcus and Matthew,

Bridge CS6 should thumbnail the side by side pair for .jps and .pns formats, and offer an Open With Ps CS6 option (you may need to make sure the OS has Ps set as the opener for those formats. The .mpo format thumbnails only the left side image.)

Camera Raw will not open these formats, but will open JPG. You can rename the file extension for .jps to .jpg and then open the file into Camera Raw. For the .mpo and .pns formats the workflow to get them to .tif adds a little extra work, but also affords Camera Raw editing. Once you've made CR edits and open the file into Ps, you can 'Save As' to JPEG Stereo Format again (remember that this format is lossy so you may also want to also keep a .psd file for editing).

With Ps CS6, you can do general image and color manipulation on .jps, .pns, and, .mpo files; it is localized corrections that are still not handled well for stereo pairs. Something that's throwing you off is the creation of a 3D layer for viewing the stereo pairs on open. What you need to do is either double click the 'Textures' file in the Layers panel, or look in the Properties panel for a button named 'Edit Source'. These are the original left-right pairs in the file.

I haven't found a video tutorial walking thru a workflow yet, but imagine they'll be coming out as people explore the new feature set.

regards,
steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SG:
I expect PS to have set itself as one opener for these formats already uppon the upgrade. My camera only creates MPO files.

.tif does not know about 3D pairs, so CR couldn't possibly do the right thing in cropping them after such a conversion. Let alone that the conversion back and forth is way too much manual work to be actually usable as a workflow. That's more like a work stop-and-go.

Double clicking the texture layer just hides/shows that layer and thus the image.
With "edit sources" I can do a crop of one side of the images but when I want to get back to the original image, it is not obvious that it has been opened as a temporary second image in photoshop and if saving applies my chages with or without modifying the original mpo file.

Any way to do crop, rotation, whitebalance, slight corrections of exposure and denoise on usually 100-300 photos of a session before mass-exporting them for upload?
Just like I do for 2D images all the time.
Something the Bridge+Camera Raw combination is great at for 2D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 can now read common stereo image pair formats (JPS, MPO, PNS)

Votes

Translate

Translate