• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to export files in the HEIC/HEIF formats

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that HEIC is starting to get some reasonable adoption after iOS 11, it’s great that Lightroom Classic CC can import those files. But it would be even better if it could export them too. For various reasons, I end up exporting from Lightroom to Apple Photos.app, and it seems like a no-brainer for me to use HEIC if Lightroom supported them. (Why not save the extra disk space?)

I know I can export to TIFF or some other lossless format and then use a third-party utility to convert them to HEIC, but that’s too much of a pain. Having native support in the Export workflow would be ideal.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Update:

The recent additions of JXL and AVIF formats to Export provided improved quality, fidelity, bit-depth, and file size improvements, largely mitigating the need for this request.  At this time, HEIC exports remain 'not planned.'

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
72 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to save a RAW photo as HEIF (.heic) format.  The primary option available seems to be 8-bit JPG.  HEIF supports 16-bit color and is much more efficient so that is the preferred export format.  At this point it seems wrong to save images as JPG and TIFF is far too big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, you will have to use the save option to save to whatever formats are available and then use other software to convert it to the format that you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years already and there's still no sight of supporting Live Photos in Lightroom CC.  Is it really that difficult to be able to back up a Live Photo and be able to export it as Live Photo back to the Camera Roll?

I heard Google Photos was able to do that already.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Lightroom: Support for importing Live Photos (iOS 9, iPhone 6s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But than you are adding compression artifacts twice instead of only once. Or you have to export lossless the first time which results in huge (temporary) files. And it just adds to the overal workflow.

Exporting directly to heif would be a great addition. I would also closely watch the AV1 Image File Format (AVIF), which is based on AV1, fully open source and promises even better compression than heic / h.265.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have no argument from me about that issue. I'm just telling you what is necessary to accomplish the goal right now because the option you are seeking is not available. Since the conversion option you are seeking is not currently available, my suggestion would be to make your request in the forum where the developers monitor much more closely than they do these user to user forums. I might also mention that the feature you are requesting is still not available in the much more robust Lightroom Classic CC. But you can make your request in the following form:

Lightroom CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to backup a Live Photo to Google Photos and restore the photo back to my iPhone just like the original.  I want Adobe to take my money, but I'm going to Google this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add HEIC export to Lightroom (Classic CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sad that Photoshop or Lightroom doesn't support exporting to new efficient file formats as like as AVIF and HEIF 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no sign of HEIC export. In fact, i had hoped that the "big" (cough) yearly update would bring this functionality ... but unfortunately, more or less very minor (not very useful) "updates" were delivered... why are we paying monthly fees?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add heif / heic exporting to PS/LR/CR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will this happen? In this century? Wikipedia: "The technical development of the specification took about one and a half years and was finalized in the middle of 2015." Well Adobe takes our money (every month) but delivers almost nothing (no HEIC export, no lens profiles for new Nikon glass even though the built-in profiles are of low quality etc etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there other software that supports exporting HEIC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need HEIF/HEIC export options.  I need this for my workflow, and it's something that needs to happen anyway.  Please Adobe get with the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is, Affinity Photo and half a dozen other software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A slightly sinister explanation for why Adobe wouldn't implement HEIC export is that they would have to pay licensing fees - which may mean less money for rich shareholders intended on milking customers (some of whom like me use Lightroom strictly privately)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except that stuff like this forces loyal customers like you and I to look at other software... 
And to my surprise, there's some pretty darned good photo editing software out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That documents opening or importing, not exporting. Found a tweet from Affinity back in November 2019 but maybe things have changed since then? https://twitter.com/affinitybyserif/status/1198893324817580032?s=20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon's announcement of the R5 and R6 mirrorless cameras today made a big splash.  Now Canon's Flagship DSLR 1D-X Mark III, Flagship Mirrorless R5 and the R6 all support HEIF file type.  It is possible to import these photos into Lightroom Classic, but not possible to export them as HEIF.  Adobe please add HEIF export ability.  Forcing us to use jpg negates the advantages of shooting using HEIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please please please add support for HEIF export. It's long overdue. This will save precious space on our disks and thus contribute (a little bit) to a better environmental footprint of our photographic activities (if Adobe cares about those things?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please give us an option to export to HEIF! Sure, it’s still a pain to widely use it as a sharing format, but it’s excellent for storing all my edited photos. At least let us know you’re working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon now has multiple cameras (1DXM3, R5 and R6) with the ability to take photos in HEIF format.  Lightroom is able to import them but when will we have the ability to export those photos after editing back to HEIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whenever I try to export the HEIC photos shot on my iPhone I get the following error:

"some export operations were not performed. The file appears to be unsupported or damaged"

I usually import them in Lightroom on my phone, but when I open/edit and then try to export on my desktop, I get this message.

All software is up-to-date (MAC OS Catalina, iOS 14.0.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this too and thought it may be a hardware glitch with my MacBook and the external drive but like you it is always HEIC files. 
My current work around is to restart Lightroom and they will export then.....

I haven’t any ideas on the cause yet.

I have had on 10.13.6 and Lr9.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 10 is out but still no support for HEIC export. This means 50% more energy per image exported from Lightroom. I wasn't aware that Adobe actively committed to not contribute to fight climate change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Lightroom (regular and Classic) can read and import HEIF images, they cannot export in the format. HEIF has many advantages over JPEG, support for more colors/bit depth and more optimized sizes. It would really be nice to export edited 12 or 14-bit RAW images into a 10-bit format (HEIF) while still maintaining manageable file sizes. 8-bit JPEG is not as efficient nowadays for all instances. While TIF can handle higher bit depths, its large size makes it unmanageable. In anyone can achieve this, Adobe should be able too.

Votes

Translate

Translate