• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Vector shapes with variable feathering for localized corrections

Participant ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add vector shapes with variable feathering to the local correction tools. Filling in shapes with the adjustment brush all the time is just not much fun and makes it harder than necessary to make changes afterwards.

Idea Started
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Update status

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
29 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

makes it harder than necessary to make changes afterwards

True.

I thought about a means to make it adjustable after the fact without braking the current paradigm and even leaving it backward compatible with Lightroom versions down to 2.0 (or Photoshop CS4 with ACR 5.0).

Why not make the actual path of the brush stroke visible and adjustable after the fact, as well as the radius, feather and flow or the stroke?

For example, when mask overlay is visible, the paths and other stoke attributes could also be shown:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an amateur photographer which just play and tweak my personal DSLR photos within LR 3 (legally owned, BTW). So, as LR4 beta phase is open, I would like to ask for a MUCH DESIRED FEATURE.

This feature is just a Polygon-like Adjustment Tool.

The current Adjustment Brush is a "spray painting" tool which is really cumbersome for using on a very well defined area of your photo. An example: you want to tweak just the wall of a building (let's say brighten it), but you don't want it to spread the settings across its edges over the surrounding background or sky. As you have to "mouse paint" with the Adjustment Brush, you usually end applying corrections outside the strictly desired area or wasting a lot of time with tiny brush sizes. (And "Auto-mask" doesn't normally help either but in very few simple situations).

A much more friendly tool in these situations would be just drawing a polygon which sets the boundary for the adjustment settings (with the outside "feather" transition area also available). I suppose this tool, or similar, exists in Photoshop as "Mask" or whichever other description, but I would gladly pay for it in LR 4.0.

Seriously, "mouse-painting" with the Adjustment Brush is frequently a PITA...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love Lightroom to have bezel masking.
I do a lot of Jewellery retouch and I use the brush to edit the shots but would love it to have a path masking to speed up the edits.
Regards David Huxtable-Reid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts on this are that I would like the current adjustment brush automask fixed first as it needs some TLC. After that, I would like the entire localized editing approach re-engineered to allow masking of any edit in the dev module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is missing the ability to select a specific square or polygonal area like a window or doorway - then make adjustments to that selection. Read on. You will see why this is so important.

As an architectural and Real Estate photographer, I photograph interiors that have bright windows or interiors leading to another interior that have a completely different color temp. The white balance, color, and brightness are almost always different and need to be selectively adjusted. But the selection areas are square, not round. The brush tool is a circle and doorways and windows are square or polygonal. The gradient tool falls short because it can't be constrained to a doorway or window.

Currently, I have to launch Photoshop, make selections, and the make adjustments within the selection. But Photoshop has no white balance dropper, so I find myself either guessing, or doing full-on color correction, not good time management for run-and-gun economy jobs such as Real Estate photography.

Adobe, this could be a wonderful, much needed addition to Lightroom. If you need specifics, I will be happy to reply with details.

If you are a photographer, and find that a square, polygonal, and magnetic selection adjustment tool would be useful to your workflow, please add a comment. Adobe will add this to Lightroom if they understand the importance and usage. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's all been said already ... I ended up here, looking for how to do a polygonal selection. Very much desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an older suggestion, but I overwhelmingly support this proposed feature. I think additional, transformable shapes should be added to the Radial Gradient feature. I envision it implemented as polygonal sided shapes, i.e., 0 = circular/oval; 1 = Line (already implemented as the Graduated Filter tool); 2 = graduated "V" shape; 3 = Triangle; 4 = Rectangle; etc. all the way to a 10-sided (or more) polygon. The polygons can be either equilateral or non-equilateral, and either sides or vertices can optionally have convex or concave curvature added as desired. Spin, rotation, skew, symmetry, distort, (etc.) transformations should be available to the selected shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom needs square/rectangular filters. It's nice to use the radial one, but often I find myself in need of a square, or rectangular, filter instead of the radial. I don't like going to Photoshop just to get different shapes for filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To include a 'Polygonal area
Adjustment Tool' with individually adjustable control points. Useful for
windows or objects with straight lines and sharp edges

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Developers to Create a polygon type tool for creating masks in LR a bit like the radial tool but be with the abillity to draw around objects such a window for example to so you would b able to boost just the exposure/Wb etc if it was shot from outside

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1
Lightroom engineers should really take inspiration from color grading software like Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve for so many tools ! Some time I prefer to color grade a picture in Resolve than in lightroom ! That's how bad it is !

Thanks guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my new project I have 1300 photos of one product (boxes )  / one position and one light / and i want to control color and light just only on box but with round (radial filter) it not possible to do it right (as I need)

and I really need to use "Radial filter" but not round I need square... and it can be good to transform round to square (... as in FCPX  "mask tools"  - you can do it with one more point in tool) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a suggestion for the Lightroom developing team, the CM redirects me here:

I think will be very usefull add a slider to modify the roundness of the radial mask, from circle to square, even add a mirroring or hexagon kind, (like faces shape or pills packaging products). This able ways to you using radial mask faster than pencil tool for non-precise masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this suddenly got a lot of attention. I put this idea on here 2-years ago. Crazy it took this long to gain some traction.

Media, I don't use FCPX, but I do use Premiere, After Effects, and DaVinci Resolve. In fact, I think DaVinci Resolve is the best color grading software available for video work. Even two years ago when I made this suggestion DaVinci Resolve had these wonderful Power Window tools. You can do circles, ellipses, squares, rectangles, gradients, and bezier curves for your Power Windows in Resolve. It has completely spoiled me when it comes to grading video footage. Sadly, I don't get that for photos in Lightroom.

Hopefully all the new likes and comments helps bring the new masks to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. I love using Resolve. Having been using it ever since Blackmagic Design acquired it. Also love using BMD Cameras. I have the BMCC 2.5K and the URSA Mini 4.6K. Grading that footage in Resolve is a dream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Lightroom MUST HAVE!!!  I don't understand for the life of me why it's not there yet.  ADOBE - Are you listening??? We need a square/rectangle tool in Lightoom!!!   You have given us a circle and paintbrush - how about something that has 4 corners???  PLEASE!! For God's sake - there are 1000's of Real Estate Photogs that work in square and rectangular spaces ALL THE TIME - like windows!  WE NEED THIS!!  I asked last year....STILL ASKING.  PLEASE!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be really handy to have something like this in Photoshop to manually adjust a selection's feather. https://youtu.be/K8Fd7Kwch2g?t=1m58s If that tool exists, just let me know I'm being silly. Also, having a live view of what your feather looks like outside the selection when you apply the feather would be incredibly useful for those that can't visualize what "X" pixels feather radius looks like on their "Y" pixel document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I wonder whether it would be possible to implement a variable feather mask option. I'm looking for the solution found in some color grading and rotoscoping softwares, where the user can create a bezier based path, then offset it either insde or outside or both sides thus creating a region of feather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see Photoshop start integrating some of the tools I often find in other VFX software that I find really useful. Namely improving vector masks so that feathering can be controlled on a per point basis. It would be great if the user could paint a kind of "Feather map" that allows for specific feathering and easing between points. In conjunction with this, it would be great if the user could define relationships between different vector shapes, and set up parent child relationships between points so that when one mask is altered, the other is altered with it.

MOCHA has a similar parent child point feathering system right now with their rotoscope tools, and Modo's vertex map weight system would serve as the perfect model for "feather mapping".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like Photoshop's Feather and Density adjustments to vector shapes in the Properties panel. The adjustment effects the entire shape layer. I would love if this could be pushed further to be able to make these adjustments to individual vector points that make up the vector shape (not unlike Illustrator's gradient mesh tool's ability to define individual points of color). 

For example if a point had 20 pixel blur and the next point had a 10 pixel blur there would be a gradual feather along the shape edge between the two points.

I can't imagine someone is not already working on this.

Thanks!
RonTroyer

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes +1,000,000,000

An adjustable radial filter that would be made to have rounded corners would be amazing, as would a filter that could be applied as any drawn shape. Useful for many users, and for me certainly. Seems like it could be accomplished fairly easily for the Lightroom team. Let's get on this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am regularly in need of the ability to select an area for adjustment, without affecting the entire image.  This could be for example a in a talk where the projector display in the wall/screen needs to be adjusted for clarity, a car windscreen in a photo, a Sky where a gradient adjust isn't suitable, or the brush isn't efficient.  Being able to draw a noded polygon or freeform shape into which adjustments are made would be extremely useful.  Could we please get this implemented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot real estate and use the radial tool in Camera Raw every day. The round/circular tool works great except on anything square or rectangular like ALL doors and windows. There are tons of people like myself who could really benefit from this additional new tool. Thank you for the consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to see the possibility to chance the brush to a square tool when needed. Very often when editing architecture this would be very helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate